Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2015, 08:29   #76
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Boarding someone elses boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasiq View Post
Back in the late 90's, there was a guy that would sneak on to other people's boats and do nothing other than change bedsheets with a clean set of a different color.

The local press dubbed him The Bedsheet Bandit. They even caught him on camera once, but he was in disguise. After about 70 instances of bedsheet swapping, his activities mysteriously stopped.

He's become a local legend these days; a bit of the lore that surrounds any great marina.

One can't help but wonder what ever happened to this Bedsheet Bandit. Perhaps he's fluffing linens for Davy Jones.

...who knows.
He probably got into too much demand from "victims" and had to retire from doing it.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:35   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I see nothing wrong with boarding without permission to fix an obvious problem. I would hope others would do the same for me if necessary.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:28   #78
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasiq View Post
Back in the late 90's, there was a guy that would sneak on to other people's boats and do nothing other than change bedsheets with a clean set of a different color.

The local press dubbed him The Bedsheet Bandit. They even caught him on camera once, but he was in disguise. After about 70 instances of bedsheet swapping, his activities mysteriously stopped.

He's become a local legend these days; a bit of the lore that surrounds any great marina.

One can't help but wonder what ever happened to this Bedsheet Bandit. Perhaps he's fluffing linens for Davy Jones.

...who knows.
Back in the 90s on Lake Norman NC there was the notorious" Naked Sailing Artist" that used his sail as his canvas ("weighed 43 pounds after all the paint was applied" he touted)he sailed around naked painting his sails and giving the dinner cruise ship customers something to think about and look at ,he even made the evening news..It was he who took up residency on my boat for a week .. He once told me that he had slept on every boat at Davey's Marina!..Some of the boats have been there 20 yrs or more without anyone stepping foot on board with the exception of Art the Naked Sailing Artist(told me several times that he was Newt Gengrichs(sp?)"adoptive cuz" that explains a lot..)
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:35   #79

Boat: Camano Troll

There used to be a couple at my marina, the woman was pretty outspoken and particular about the looks of their boat. They were popular and part of the regular crowd. There was talk going around about someone getting on peoples boats to find a secluded place for romance (sex).

As a joke, someone got a condom, unwrapped it and squirted some mayonnaise in it and put it on their boat near the lounge.

The next time they came to the boat she found it and blew a gasket, She went to the marina management, accused the dockhands of having sex on her boat and was about to call the police when someone told her it was just a joke.
Old 14-02-2015, 22:57   #80

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ya know, Jammer,

Y'all might be in danger of being boarded by well meaning people who you think are trespassing. Perhaps a sign might be in order. You deserve your privacy.

Just a thought.

Ann
Old 15-02-2015, 00:33   #81
cruiser

No sign. That would be rude. I still believe in my fellow man. I count on his decency daily.

Stay off my lawn, even though there's no fence.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 01:05   #82

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
No sign. That would be rude. I still believe in my fellow man. I count on his decency daily.

Quite right.

As I see it, the problem for the good-doers amongst us, it that we might board your boat if the jib unfurled itself. Now, you would prefer if we did not do that. You'd rather suffer the effects of possible inattentiveness than have strangers aboard, as is your right. It is also your right, of course, to prefer to replace that jib than have "us" on your boat. The problem , as I see it, as someone who wishes to protect your privacy, is how to tell which boat to steer clear of.

See, I am among the others, if I saw a jib about to flog itself to death, I would be tempted to go aboard and corral it. .... so, a sign would help me keep off. Most of us offshore, and apparently a number of inshore cruisers as well, have a sense of interdependency which leads us to want to help other cruisers, and to wish ro receive help in return, should we need it. I understand YMMV.

Ann
Old 15-02-2015, 06:43   #83

Boat: Island Packet 420

Quote:

I believe the decent thing to do would be to lend a helping hand when needed. You better put the sign out since it appears your definition of decency is quite the opposite of most.
blinkerfluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 07:28   #84

Boat: Rafiki 37

Agree with Ann here. You are so far out of the norm that you really should put up some sort of sign. Otherwise a Good Samaritan will suffer your wrath.

But the thing that really bothers me is that Jammer would allow a fellow cruiser's boat to come to harm even when it is easily within his/her ability to help. This to me makes you a danger. It parallels the vaccination discussion happening in Canada/USA right now. People who choose not to vaccinate, or in this case to assist others, are not just impacting themselves, but have an effect on everyone around them.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 15-02-2015, 19:24   #85
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
See, I am among the others, if I saw a jib about to flog itself to death, I would be tempted to go aboard and corral it. .... so, a sign would help me keep off.
Ann, it's not my responsibility to keep you off my boat. It's your responsibility to stay off my boat, out of my car and out of my home through your own choice unless I've invited you into those places. Even then, last night's invitation doesn't apply today. If respect for my property doesn't convince you to do so, the battle is lost, for both of us.

It is also painfully obvious to me that none of you have bothered to give this issue much thought, and what is equally obvious is that none of you would consider anything beyond some minor property damage when making your decision about whether to invade my territory or respect my property rights.

None of you appear to have considered anything truly important, none of you have given a thought to alternate outcomes, and all of you appear to assume that you are completely capable of dealing with my property better than I can.

My poor mind boggles at your collective arrogance.

I take comfort in the fact that in my experience, your majority here on this forum is, hopefully, actually a tiny minority in real life.

OReilly, your viewpoints are so far beyond the pale that it amazes me you can sleep at night. The angst created by your concerns would be sufficient to insure that I would never be able to sleep again. You have my sympathy. Best of luck.
Old 15-02-2015, 19:44   #86

Boat: Island Packet 420

Care to enlighten our collective arrogant selves on what you would deem truly important that we are failing to consider?
blinkerfluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 20:54   #87

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
None of you appear to have considered anything truly important, none of you have given a thought to alternate outcomes, and all of you appear to assume that you are completely capable of dealing with my property better than I can.

My poor mind boggles at your collective arrogance.

I take comfort in the fact that in my experience, your majority here on this forum is, hopefully, actually a tiny minority in real life.

OReilly, your viewpoints are so far beyond the pale that it amazes me you can sleep at night. The angst created by your concerns would be sufficient to insure that I would never be able to sleep again. You have my sympathy. Best of luck.

Well "six", since we're now into pejorative uses of last names, perhaps you would grace us all with your vast and superior wisdom such that we could all become collectively less ignorant. Why is it better to let a fellow boater's boat come to harm even in cases where a simple act could avert that outcome. What is "truly important?" What are you babbling about with regard to "alternate outcomes?" And what is this non sequitur about dealing with your own property? Do help us become less ignorant.

It appears that you want to position some bizarre understanding of property rights above and beyond just about any other right, duty or responsibility. It's certainly your right to have your boat damaged or destroyed solely based on your own actions, but you appear incapable of understanding that your world view is far outside the norm. Given this, putting up a sign, or better still staying away from the rest of humanity, seems the best option for everyone.

But then, you appear not to give a damn about anyone other than yourself...

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 15-02-2015, 21:02   #88

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Jammer, you astonish me with your hostility. I don't know where you keep your boat, but if in the Seattle area, it is likely in a marina. All the marinas in which I have left a boat, even for a short casual berthing, have had language in the contract which stipulates that they can not only board your boat, but move it about in the marina at any time, and for any reason. I wonder how you feel about that?

If your expressed hostile reaction to a Samaritan attempting to aid your boat in a time of difficulty is a true feeling, you really should post a notice to that effect. I've been around boats for a hell of a long time now, and have NEVER encountered an attitude like yours. It is a minority for damn sure, and most yotties will unthinkingly seek to do what we generally view as the right thing, ie step aboard to repair a seen problem. A simple sign (something like a "do not resuscitate" only in boating terms) would save you having to shoot someone trying to help. I have a lot of yottie friends in teh Seattle area, and all of them would try to help. I'd hate to have you attack any of them...

Jim
Old 15-02-2015, 21:57   #89

Boat: Catalina 30

Jammer:

Do you at least have your phone number posted
prominently on your vessel?
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 22:01   #90
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
A simple sign (something like a "do not resuscitate" only in boating terms) would save you having to shoot someone trying to help. I have a lot of yottie friends in teh Seattle area, and all of them would try to help. I'd hate to have you attack any of them...
What are you talking about?

Perhaps I should add "fear" to the list...