Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2022, 13:37   #1

BOAT ADVICE NEEDED

I have decided to sail around the world with my friend after years of wanting to do so. My plan is to start in Australia and travel towards South Africa and up to Europe and maybe go to America (this isn't finalised).
We have just started our research and are planning on doing so for a while. We are looking for a small sail boat with a motor and room on the roof for solar panels.
To get to the point, we have no clue where to start looking for the right sailboat for us!
If anyone has good sites, information or advice that would be great!
Since we are wanting to do this in a few years the budget isn't extremely high but we are willing to put plans on hold to be able to buy sufficient equipment.

Thank you!
sailsasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 15:20   #2

Re: BOAT ADVICE NEEDED

Are you experienced sailors?

Far more important than equipment choices, and takes time rather than just money
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 15:36   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
Are you experienced sailors?

Far more important than equipment choices, and takes time rather than just money
we both have been taking lessons for the past year and are continuing to do that
we are going to start with a few small journeys before doing this and we know its gonna take a while before we can actually travel around the world
we are moving closer to the sea in a few months to try and get to know more sailors and people but just thought we'd come on here and ask first just to see if anyone had good recommendations for things like websites, boat makes or just some simple advice!
sailsasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 16:19   #4

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Where are you located in OZ. I have a small Cat for sale with every thing included for off shore full time live aboard,

I have just sailed it back from Port Stephens in NSW,

Its located at Yaringa Marina, Westernport bay, Victoria,

I near ripped my arms off when I fell over, So unfortunately my sailing days are over,

Cheers, Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 22:17   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard sailsasha!

It's good you are starting your research, and coming here for some tips. I would say to be careful not to put the cart before the horse too much yet. As you progress in your sailing skills your taste in what makes the right boat for you and the journey will likely change. There are many good boats, large and small (though mostly large) that can and have done the trip. But it's you who will bring the boat, no matter which boat, to life, so developing your skills will be your first job. Here is a site though that can give you a few good boats to peruse, though it is not an exhaustive list and different sailors have different preferences.
I have (what I consider) a very nice little boat, and it suits me perfectly for what I am doing, and it could sail across oceans I am sure, but it would not be my first choice for that. Between 35 and 45 feet would be my choice for the speed and cargo holding a larger boat affords.
Definitely keep planning and look at lots of designs and if you see one you like, I am sure someone here will be able to let you know details about its suitability. Good luck!

https://bluewaterboats.org/
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, boat