Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2019, 00:24   #16

Boat: Bavaria 35E
Re: BOAT FOR SALE noticed trends

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Righto! I am guilty of that 4 times in the 8 bought I have bought. DAMN!
You've just confessed to a lackluster history. Maybe you should try buying from a broker with whom you develop a comfortable relationship. If they don't have anything in their own inventory, a good one will operate as your "buyers broker" and sift the crap from the cream for you. Not everything presented may meet your needs, but it may help you from purchasing mistakes.
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 02:37   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowle View Post
You've just confessed to a lackluster history. Maybe you should try buying from a broker with whom you develop a comfortable relationship. If they don't have anything in their own inventory, a good one will operate as your "buyers broker" and sift the crap from the cream for you. Not everything presented may meet your needs, but it may help you from purchasing mistakes.
You sound like a typical broker.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 03:02   #18

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
You sound like a typical broker.

Sounds to me like you want something for nothing.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 03:22   #19

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Dealing with 'For Sale by Owner' can be a tiresome, drawn out process but occasionally you will find an amazing deal. I'm sitting less than five miles from a custom steel mono that was built and fully set up for a couple, all top of the line new equipment 7-8 years ago. He passed away and it was never launched. Currently $100k.
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 03:51   #20

Boat: Nonsuch 36

Quote:
If I could just find a boat for sale that is not overpriced and who the seller was not lazy or cheap in his ownership ?????
When you meet the owner when viewing his merchandise, do you tell him what you think or do you just say nothing and move on?

I'm asking because I am selling a boat. I've hired a broker and next to that selling it privately in agreement with the broker. No price difference.

The viewers I'm getting are all very positive and love the boat, level of maintenance, layout, price! etc. but so far non of them had cash! NONE. They all tell me they're "thinking of buying" or "have to sell own boat first" or "still haven't sold the house". Afterwards, after they had coffee, cookies and 2hr boat viewing.

To be honest, I'm done as an owner-seller to receive viewers.
From now on, It's up to the broker and I do feel sorry for him having to deal with dreamers and broke buyers.
Standbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 08:08   #21

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Brokers won't list boats that are strewn with trash or have brown stuff floating in the head.

A boat in my marina exhibited poor housekeeping, with dog food stored in open bags, dog hair every where, and generally unkept appearance. The broker wrote a letter to the owners and told them to get the boat professionally clean and empty and they would consider listing the boat.

The owners were not happy about the letter.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 08:22   #22

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Like houses the price of boats is effected strongly by location, in an affluent area with lots of buyers prices are high. If you want a bargin try looking at places where boats get 'stuck' such as the end of a long tradewind run. It is hard to get buyers to travel a long way to look at boats so price has to be the puswasion. Just be ready to buy so you don't spend the savings on looking. Also be ready to start cruising where the boat is or you may spend the savings on the delivery trip. Unlike houses boats move!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 08:25   #23

Generally I think many boats are sold once the owner loses enthusiasm for using them. Thus, they are not well kept. Some are sold as a result of divorce or death, either way keeping them up isn't a high priority either.
Or, as in my case, when I returned from a 3 year cruise to Florida the boat was in great shape. But trips to Florida didn't occur that often and the boat looked pretty rough the two times I went down to clean it up.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 08:39   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standbly View Post
When you meet the owner when viewing his merchandise, do you tell him what you think or do you just say nothing and move on?

I'm asking because I am selling a boat. I've hired a broker and next to that selling it privately in agreement with the broker. No price difference.

The viewers I'm getting are all very positive and love the boat, level of maintenance, layout, price! etc. but so far non of them had cash! NONE. They all tell me they're "thinking of buying" or "have to sell own boat first" or "still haven't sold the house". Afterwards, after they had coffee, cookies and 2hr boat viewing.

From now on, It's up to the broker and I do feel sorry for him having to deal with dreamers and broke buyers.
Sold a boat over the summer and it was a ton of work. But my job allowed for the time spent. Also asking price for boat was not expensive but not peanuts at 150k. I simply could not justify giving a commission to a broker for a boat I felt would move quickly, which it did saving me a chunk of money.

I would do it again understanding it requires a fair amount of time/work. In my case I’m guessing We saved an extra 10k in broker fees for far less than 100 hrs work. And for as many nice hard working boat brokers I have met none of them is worth 100/hr or even half that. Time and money. If you have the time it’s very doable.

To the OP there are plenty of FSBO boats out there in all price ranges in great shape. Keeping looking you’ll find it.
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 08:54   #25

Boat: 1989 MacGregor 26D

Love this response! Don't waste peoples' time, energy if just window shopping, that's for certain.

But I, too, have noticed that FSBO photos show hot messes of personal personal belongings and indications of questionable personal habits. It's off-putting, to say the least -- forcing viewers to reach into the depths of their most creative imaginations. If a buyer can get past the muck, deals can be had, I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standbly View Post

KRK-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 09:06   #26

Boat: Camano 41

I like Calif.Ted. People price their boats, houses and cars like they remember them, not like they are.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 10:04   #27

Boat: Morgan 1974 OI 41

Just happen to have a 34' boat for sale (1972 34' Morgan yawl). Never been listed with a broker, but has been for sale a good while. Have a larger Morgan my wife and I have been cruising Florida/Bahamas/Cuba the last three or four years. May decide to leave our big boat in Florida after winter cruising and keep the 34 footer on the Chesapeake if it doesn't sell.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/78677
winschwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 10:17   #28

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

There's a difference between cosmetic and problematic issues. The two don't necessarily go hand in hand. The difference can be most accurately be determined by a reputable surveyor. The results can directly reflect the value of the vessel. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 11:53   #29

Boat: Coast 30

IF you think boats are over priced try adding up the life time, material, and workspace cost of building them. Many boat builders die before they get to launch them.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 14:38   #30

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 1991

geoleo, you are the person who was selling a Beneteau O400 a few years ago? If so, I remember the boat was in good shape. But it took you a while to sell. Brokers more than likely add some value, otherwise, they would not exist and everyone would buy and sell from each other. A person can choose to work through a broker or not. If all boats are over priced by 20%, then isn't that the market? Is the 20% just an arbitrary benchmark? I too suffered from looking at many boats thinking if only they were less expensive.

Most people selling property for themselves over estimate the value. They are not discounting the property by the amount of broker's fees, they are trying make more money.
Rising Tide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, for sale, sale