Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 21:07   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Being thin and getting in resistance exercise is great but you still need to work the cardiovascular system. Any ideas on that?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 21:10   #17

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
For island cruising, I swim/snorkel. Looking at coral and hunting for lobster sure beats 120 repetitive turns and lengths of the same pool watching that same lane line on the bottom of a pool over and over, day after day....
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 21:12   #18
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
David M - good question...at sea. There can be upper body action but not sustained very long.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 00:38   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Being thin and getting in resistance exercise is great but you still need to work the cardiovascular system. Any ideas on that?
Underway I just do weights. Onshore / traveling I bring my running shoes. Great way to check out a new area. It's a lot easier for me to run for 30-60 minutes than to swim for that long. For those of you who can get good swims in a few times a week consistently, more power to you. I wish I could.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:41   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post

How about the old gym-class standby: Jumping Jacks?
Just not on the part of the deck right above the berth where the off-watch is trying to nap!
Or wind-sprints the length of the deck ... or up and down the companionway as many times & as fast as you can?
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:49   #21
cruiser

Mariness - probably that last is the best idea. Just need to sustain about 60% for 20 or so odd minutes. If you are at sea for 2-3 months, gotta do something.
Old 03-07-2010, 15:03   #22
cruiser

Shadow boxing and double end bag is one of th ebest cardio workouts yet. You can lean to do the upper body part siting down ,for rougher conditions. When you are chilled, it sure warms you up in a hurry.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 15:13   #23
cruiser

Good idea, Brent! I like that boxing idea. Gets the stress out too. Another use for my out of date life raft

Need to work out that butt of mine. I guess doing stairs up and down the hatch is the only thing for that.
Old 03-07-2010, 20:55   #24

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Other good boat exercises are - swimming after the guy who just stole your dinghy. And the every popular naked anchor hauling by hand at 03:00 when a squall or mountain gust rips your anchor loose. There is no end to the boat generated exercise routines for active cruisers. Getting rid of a pot belly is easy, anchor off a French Island near to a boat full of young topless women - it is amazing how that pot belly disappears while you are on deck and stays taught until you can get below and can let your breathe out.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 13:12   #25
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wii Fit

The kids broke it last time they visited - but the Wii Fit is a great way of squezzing 20 minutes of excercise into half an hour - it's fun, and you don't need a lot of space!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 13:32   #26

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Here's a chance for all you engineering types to make some money. Why not build an exercise bike that powers a generator? Half an hour of pedalling might give you a few amps and it would be a great way to keep the night watch alert. Everyone standing watch has to put in more amps than they take out. No autopilot and handlebars hooked up to the tiller so that your arms get a work out too. Maybe a little gearbox to divert the chain down to the propshaft for those windless days. I'll have to see what my wife thinks of the idea before I buy one.

Greg
Old 17-07-2010, 13:45   #27

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35 Berzerker
Doesn't have to be any more complicated on the boat than rigging something to do pull ups, push ups, squats/lunges, and something for the abs. Virtually all the bodyparts are hit and you're not carrying around extra stuff. Just do them with proper form and intensity. And run/sprint when you get to shore.
Anzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 13:54   #28
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
HWhy not build an exercise bike that powers a generator? Half an hour of pedalling might give you a few amps and it would be a great way to keep the night watch alert. Everyone standing watch has to put in more amps than they take out. No autopilot and handlebars hooked up to the tiller so that your arms get a work out too.
Greg
Have you patented it yet? If not, mind if I do?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 13:58   #29
cruiser

somebody do. I think thats a great idea. 1/2 on a bike every day and I can supply my SSB