Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2009, 09:27   #46

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
"Once more into the breach dear friends....."

Agreed, that's why one must do ones homework when chosing the surveyor. (But didn't we do this b4 in a previous thread, Anj?)
Anjou, was your budget of 30k in US or GBP? Cuz if that's GBP, as of today that's $49,644US. And that's a distinct improvement to the amount you have to work with if your willing to buy in the US. Not this boat, necessarily, but there are many good boats here that could be had for that price or less, especially in Florida, with enough leftover to have her brought to you. BTW, what was the minimum size? I remember you wanted aft cabin/center cockpit....at least aft cabin.

Re: Formosa
Yup, could be trouble. Maybe, maybe not, but we don't know unless we look. Unfortunately for the Formosa, the "bad rep" usually dooms good boats to becoming bad boats due to the inability to sell in a timely fashion because no one trusts the Formosa and is willing to consider the expense of a survey. So they sit ....and rot.

To be honest I'm looking hard at this one myself. As soon as we can get this Bristol off the hard and back in the water, I may consider giving my partner "notice" and sell my interest (pending the outcome of a survey, of course).
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 09:49   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
I went to view the steel hull boat at the weekend but due to poor admin by the broker, its actually off the market while under offer, but not to waste the journey and day, I had a look at a Lohi 34. Built in 76, full sail locker and a Perky 4 108. She is in top condition... Now for the sad part, Its too much money for me at £35k...
There are all the usual signs of the depression getting real in the US – and the UK is often a few months ahead. Prices may drop, or not keep pace with inflation: or both ?
George Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 09:50   #48

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
A couple of nice ones... but ones in Calee-for-nia.....
1979 Marine Trading Offshore Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com=

The next 2 are the same boat but some different pix between them...
1985 Yorktown Center Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com=
1985 Yorktown Center Cockpit Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com=
Old 19-08-2009, 09:54   #49

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
OhhhhhI had only just got the Formosa fetish off my mind and was steering myself towards proper plastic boats with a mass produced safe feel, and now you had to go and remind me. Ive just had a hot flush and my tummy turned to buterflies seeing her again. I did a little number crunching over this boat several months ago. I started with the airfare, I contacted a surveyor in NY area for a quotation which I didnt save but think it was @ $20 per foot. Then of course, ive no idea at all what it would cost to get her this side of the puddle, either as deck cargo or sailed with Captain and two crew?All just supposing shes fit to travel of course but gawd knows what might need doing to make her safe. I did email the agents for more details but I never got a reply. Formosas are like Marmite (a yeast extract sandwich spread with unusual flavour) - you either love it or hate it. At least with Formosas, the problem areas are well known and documented and even the fixes are well practiced and not hard to do. Just factor it into the sale price reduction, if the vendor will accept it, if not, walk away. Chain plates, decks, tanks, bulkhead tabs etc. Hardly rocket science i guess. I also see shes still advertised at $30k. Hands up what you think she should be worth, bearing in mind we dont know whats wrong with her. Maybe 22-25k US? The only critisism I have for the 41 Island trader with open aft cockpit is there is no weather protection and a lot of wasted space under the aft end. I cant help feeling a center cockpit is the way to go for more space below and more up top protection. Somehow, I just adrore the classic Ketch lines. Ggrrrr.
Old 19-08-2009, 09:57   #50

it will be a nightmare getting her home, then you have to deal with the fact that..... well.... she's a formosa... Stay the Course! If you are going to come to the US to look for boats, spend a couple of weeks... there are a lot of boats for sale... but you are still stuck with a big $ committment to ship her home...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 10:05   #51

HeHe, I know, damn me all to hell for opening THAT can of worms again(formosa).
Re: the Yorktown: oops I think that's a doghouse aft, sry bout that. But the Marine Trading ketch, I haven't heard anything about these. Anyone?

PS Marmite - same as VitaMite or is it Vegamite? VitaMeataVegamine? ;o)
Old 19-08-2009, 10:22   #52

Now im in love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
Oh you beauty, I opened the Yorktown first and was impressed by the space and order but now ive seen the ketch, im sat here just daydreaming 'what if'$35k is £21k sterling which is more like what i need and thats before negotiations. Any ideas what a final sale price might be?And shes 3000 miles closer to home in Florida as opposed to California. How do I get her home?
Old 19-08-2009, 10:29   #53

I think the Marine Trading is another Formosa offshoot.. I always thought they were "Marine Trader" though.....?
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/6844 These old Fuji's are great boats. Japanese built before Taiwan made it economically poor. Typical great japanese quality. No teak decks, long keel etc. This 35 is overpriced. the little 32 is a great boat and the 40 is huge...
Old 19-08-2009, 10:41   #54

There are so many taiwanese variations on the Ketch theme, but I do prefer the CC and aft cab variant. There is a CF Sweedish couple who have something similar but Ive lost the details on my other laptop thats died.
Old 19-08-2009, 11:03   #55

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
I did a little number crunching over this boat several months ago. I started with the airfare, I contacted a surveyor in NY area for a quotation which I didnt save but think it was @ $20 per foot. Then of course, ive no idea at all what it would cost to get her this side of the puddle.

I did this exercise for a 39ft cat 3 years ago (so its probably more now) That boat was about £10k as deck cargo from Fort Lauderdale or abt £9k sailed over. The Formosa would also need a cradle to be constructed (several K) or work done on the boat to prepare for the crossing + wear and tear of the crossing. Unfortunately it doesnt end there as you would then need to pay 15% on top for VAT, and then the expenses of CE and RCD (including conversion to 220v).

That is probably a deal breaker unless you can get them to sell for $10k
Old 19-08-2009, 11:12   #56

I viewed a formosa a few months ago which was deck cargoed from panama to uk and the guy spent 2k on the cradle.Please pardon my ignorance but what causes the crossing to cost 9k?Whats required for the CE? Do you have to pay VAT on used goods over a certain age?Ive no idea what the real sale price is but having looked closely again at the pics, shes no spring chicken and hasnt been loved in a while, and thats just the cosmetic images. Rust on sbd hull from chain plates, well weathered deck teak and handrails, and the same wear on internal woodwork. Tells me a lot obout the people who own her and how they treat her.
Old 19-08-2009, 11:18   #57

These start at about $20k and end at about $35k US. I think I picked all diesel and east coast...
Irwin 37 Cutter, Center Cockpit, New Yanmar , 24K $ etc. 1976 Irwin Centercockpit 37 MKIII Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com=
Endeavor 37, big boats, partial skeg rudder. $28K View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com
Bargain on a good C&C. A little fiberglass work though...1977 C & C 380 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Islander 36 .. nice roomy design: 1974 Islander Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Morgan Out Island 33 Center cockpit, looks clean: 1974 Islander Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Another: 1969 Camper & Nicholsons 38 Camper Nicholsons Sail Boat For Sale -=
Camper Nicholson 38 (needs tlc):1969 Camper & Nicholsons 38 Camper Nicholsons Sail Boat For Sale -
Morgan OI 36 Center cockpit, diesel: 1974 Morgan Out Island CC Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Trintella 35 Center Cockpit: 1974 Trintella III Center Cockpit Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com=
Old 19-08-2009, 11:27   #58

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
IPlease pardon my ignorance but what causes the crossing to cost 9k?Whats required for the CE? Do you have to pay VAT on used goods over a certain age?.
Crossing cost was a delivery capt and crew, food, fuel and preparations.

CE means that electronic equipment needs to be CE compliant, electric equipment good for 220v 50Hz - This is a fairly expensive process and IIRC The RYA are now responsible for the certification.

RCD - a lot of people are now going for the very lowest RCD rating, as that is much easier and cheaper, but that would concern me from an insurance point of view if you achieve RCD acceptable to 2inch waves in a bath, and then went deepwater and had an insurance claim.

You are buying outside of EU therefore it doesnt matter how old it is.

Sorry to rain on your enthusiasm.
Old 19-08-2009, 11:35   #59

We've a few delivery Captains on this forum. I bet someone would be interested. And possibly even reasonably priced! If not, talk to the Mods and other bigwigs here for recommendations. It would behoove you to crew the crossing as well, IF you have the time. It took 23 days for a Cat on a northern passage from Annapolis,MD to Portsmouth,UK. This'll probably take 6 weeks at least, so plan a loooong holiday.

Actually this boat is near ours as we're in Madeira Beach, just down the way. We're moving our boat on the 31st and I could get my partner to go and give her a good initial look-see and get some pix of the chainplates, bilge, etc.

As for moving the ketch to the UK....

Either hire a captain
OR
If you got the cash...
I went ahead and made a couple of phone calls. To have it Shipped to South Hampton:

Appx:9900 GBP or 10800 EU (pricey isn't it)

http://www.globalyachttransport.com/index.html

Global Yacht Transport Agencies
2401 PGA Boulevard, Suite 230
33410 Palm Beach Gardens Florida
U.S.A.
Tel:+1 561 622 7997Cell:+1 561 309 8333Toll Free:+1 877 744 7287E-mail: tracy@globalyachttransport.com

Prep work is not required other than removing/relieving the fore and aft stays. Meet the ship at the dock and they lift you right out of the water and put you on deck. They also have lists of and can arrange for a reputable captain to move her from Clearwater, FL to Ft. Lauderdale (or West Palm Beach) for loading if you so desire. When she gets home, they set her right back in the water and off you go.

I'll give the broker a call tomorrow and get some history on her, if you like.
Old 19-08-2009, 12:12   #60

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
There are 4 ways to ship a boat to Europe - 1 as mentioned above; another by Peter & Mays out of Totola; another by Dockwise Transport; and finally on a container ship (the most complicated but cheaperst).
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote