Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2009, 04:25   #76

Boat: Privilege 37
Live life, dont worry about age, the grim reaper collects some people young and others go on for a long time, some people look and act 70 when only 50, and some 80 year olds act like 40 (saw a programme on TV recently where an 83yr old was taking her first snorkelling lesson)

It is not the calendar, but the way you act and feel that really determines how "old" you are.

It is my big 60 next year, but so what it will not change how I act - I still drive my motorbike, will be diving when in warmer water, sailing, just bought a new bicycle, - life is to be lived!
Old 20-08-2009, 07:18   #77

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
The humor is refreshing and quips funny. But seriously immigrating is not an option unless you are willing to spend years (normally 2 years) and huge amounts of dollars even if you marry a USA citizen/resident. I know I am currently involved in the process.
Visiting is not easy either - large fees and forms and interviews and tons of documentation just to get a long form, long term visitor's visa to the USA. And you can be summarily refused by the "whim" of the interviewer - with no legal right to appeal.
However, it is worth it to get the visitor visa - long term, multiple entry. Painful process at the beginning but then you can pop back and forth with minimal grief. The reason to get the "long form - multiple entry visa" is that flying in by major commercial airline is not a hassle - but, you cannot enter or exit on a private vessel (air or sea) without the "long form" visa which is a large permanent imprinted whole page thing in your passport with color photo, etc. Also if you are going to get one make sure your current expiration date of your passport is beyond the duration of the "visa" you are applying for. If necessary get a new passport issued to make sure the physical passport will not expire before the expiration of the visa.
- - Oh, and yes it is required that you eat french fries, grease burgers and all manner of deadly manufactured foods. . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 10:59   #78

Immigrate to Canada, then come over the border for 6 month "visits"
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 11:35   #79

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Oy there's a lot of wet blankets in this place! Seems like no matter what the topic, the nay-sayers, armchair quarterbacks, and all-around "Negative Nellies" come out of the woodwork.

There are more ways than one to emigrate. Being most of my life in the military, it seems like all ones friends have foreign wives. German, British, Japanese, Korean, etc.etc. and I've seen this process, it's a ROYAL RED TAPE P.I.T.A. But a lot also depends on WHO you are and WHERE your from. Actually the "emigra" topic, I think, was in jest, BUT if not, she does have certain inroads into the system.
1. move within your company. This is the best method as they can assist with pushing the paper. I have done this for Raytheon to Saudi on a 3 year contract. It's a pain in the ass , yes. But what isn't in any bureaucracy?
2. your father's service to America may have some weight if he was military, civil service, or civilian contractor and died in direct line of duty in service to the USA.

Cheechako: Good call, that! That was going to be #3! PS Cheech, how long you gonna be Cheechako? You can't be a greenhorn forever! ;o)
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 12:09   #80

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
However, it is worth it to get the visitor visa - long term, multiple entry. Painful process at the beginning but then you can pop back and forth with minimal grief.
Correct, but she may want to just take the one-shot initially with no need for all that extra hassle. She may take one look here and bail for home! I think the issue of "moving" was in fun, but......
Old 20-08-2009, 12:30   #81

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Hey guys, I was joking about emigrating. I know the grass isnt greener anywhere and I already live in the best country in the world, proven by the millions of wannabees who would love to live here. There is good and bad everywhere, so its best to learn to manage with what you have.
Old 20-08-2009, 12:33   #82

The Grass

The Grass IS greener in the carribean.....Mon....

"PS Cheech, how long you gonna be Cheechako? You can't be a greenhorn forever! " WOW! Somebody actually knows what it means! It can also mean "Newcomer"... I figure wherever I visit... I'm a Cheechako..
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 12:46   #83

Anjou: I figured that....

Cheechako: I have a sideline interest in seasonal Alaskan gold prospecting. One thing I would like to do once I bail out of the mainstream of life. Prospecting the summer and cruising the winter.
Old 23-08-2009, 07:27   #84

Quote:
.... is it a case of you only get what you pay for ?...
Unfortunately, yes this is generally the case with boats as with most other things in life.

Good Luck !
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 08:51   #85

The suggestion to go ahead and get the long term B1/B2 US visitor visa is for more than just popping back and forth to the USA. It also is the key to getting into other countries with minimal hassles and paperwork. The maybe illogical logic of other countries is that if you can qualify for the USA visa then you are "no threat" to their little country.
Old 23-08-2009, 09:09   #86

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
50? no way

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Big 50 next year. gulp, Aghhhhhhhh
good heavens - you look 25.

in any case, don't give up on finding the boat. it will take a while - not like buying a house because buying a boat is so much more complicated and expensive, imho. Plus a boat is not an investment, it is a lifestyle decision.

You either need a boat as a home to fulfill your life, or well, maybe you should buy a camper for the back of the pickup. Nothing wrong with that. Only you know if you need it.

Keep looking!

First Mate
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 13:02   #87

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
The suggestion to go ahead and get the long term B1/B2 US visitor visa is for more than just popping back and forth to the USA. It also is the key to getting into other countries with minimal hassles and paperwork. The maybe illogical logic of other countries is that if you can qualify for the USA visa then you are "no threat" to their little country.
Sounds like a plan, unlike the UK where preachers of hate and mass terrorist murder, welfare scroungers, et al are not only welcomed but housed, fed, encouraged to settle family and friends, where health services are put at their disposal, with the aid of free translation, education etc. Build it and they do come by the truck and plane load, day and night, without end, Amen.
Old 23-08-2009, 13:56   #88

anjou, your comment is a lot truer that you think. Just about every "paradise" island in the Atlantic/Caribbean and for sure, the Pacific learned this years ago and do not allow any immigration unless you can prove you can totally support yourself and/or have a skill/trade that will increase/be of benefit to their country. And that rule applies to everybody from anywhere in the world. "Paradise if full!" Come and visit but don't stay.
Old 24-08-2009, 07:33   #89

Anj, have you seen this one yet?
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...7-a-29757.html
More info
Cruise Abaco - Bahamas Sailboat Charter
Old 24-08-2009, 08:26   #90

Boat: Ohlson 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Therefore I can only conclude some owners are dirty barstewards. Im losing the will to live and wonder why some people are happy to live and sail on boats that make me want to puke.Putting aside the lack of hygene, I also have an aversion to the outdated style and materials used, the lack of thought in design and asthetics etc.
Anjou, you and I are both looking for boats in roughly the same price range and age group we (wife and I) also have marvelled at the filth and slovenliness of some boats. But I would suggest that a few days of cleaning is worth the lower price a filthy boat would command. As far as the outdated materials are concerned, It takes virtually no skill, and very little time to replace a countertop or install a new faucet or apply some bright laminate to spruce up a dreary galley or salon to give it a more modern feel. I'm eager to see what wonderful boat you end up with! Don't give up! You can do this.

I'm actually most partial to those WESTSAIL 32's (why did I just suddenly feel embarrassed?) and I'am actually looking forward to putting my mark on one of those dreary interiors by jazzing it up with some bright colors. Good luck, Eric
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote