Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2017, 13:26   #1

Boat in BVI Nanny Cay

We just got pics of the yard at Nanny Cay. Some boats are dismasted, others are upside down while a few look OK.

Has anyone here dealt with a major loss like this? Hoping that people that went through Ivan or some of the other major hurricanes may be able to give me some perspective?

We have a Leopard 46 stored in Nanny Cay. We are not sure of the exact damage. This could take weeks to find out. There is no cell coverage, no electricity and no water there right now.

1) do insurance companies send claims people?
2) what happens when possibly there are thousands of boats that need major repairs that could take years to get through?
3) are companies easier or harder to deal with when a major disaster strikes?
4) any other helpful info?
Outsideworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 17:52   #2

Re: Boat in BVI Nanny Cay

I don't know about boat insurance, but we lost quite a bit to Harvey. Our experience is it depends on the company. USAA was great. Other's, not so much.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:47   #3

Boat: Privilege 435

Your insurance rep. will have hundreds of boats to assess and examine. If I were you, I would prepare a folder for them. Copy of your insurance certificate, photos of boat before, preferably showing what precautions you made to minimize loss, photos of storm damage, copy of estimate for repair etc... If you do their work for them, there is a possibility that they will sign off on it more quickly.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:52   #4

Thanks for the advice. Problem is it could be weeks to months to get a quote. Almost every boat on the island will need work or is destroyed. Worst part is the yards are a mess and many businesses that used to cater to boats are wiped out. This was our house we planned to move jnto this Fall. Now we could be homeless. Luckily we are all safe.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:33   #5

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

I lost my boat in Sandy. The answer to your question is...depends. How quickly the island can stabilize the human issues like housing and food. Boats are down in the list in events like this. The guys that operate the equipment to clean up the boatyards maybe be a little busy trying to find shelter and food for their families. Until all the wreckage is cleared and the boats are stabilized most claims adjusters will stay away.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:38   #6

I dont want to sound callous. I have been on the forums for a couple of days and it is terrible how many people are missing. I know that thousands are homeless and help is badly needed from the international community. Just trying to make sure my family has a place to live. Thanks.

Tags
boat, BVI