Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2009, 17:29   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Progressive & 35'

iiii,
See the attached print screen from my Progressive log in. I ran it with a Florida mooring. Is it possible that someone did not disclose that your vessel is over 35' long? Could be really interesting if you have a claim.35'.doc
Old 30-08-2009, 20:06   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post
Tomperanteau,
Progressive is a good A- rated company. Unfortunately they will not insure vessels over 35' long, and FloFar is purchasing a 37' vessel.
There is a disconnect somewhere. Here is a cut and paste from the Progressive webpage: Watercraft Insurance: Watercraft Insurance Coverage - Progressive
>>>>>>>>>>>>
Look beyond your homeowners policy.

Your boat or personal watercraft may be too big or too expensive to be covered through a homeowners policy, which means you may need watercraft insurance to protect it. Progressive accepts boats up to 50 feet long and up to $250,000 in value, as well as personal watercraft up to 15 feet long and $27,000 in value. <<<<<<<<<<<
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 20:29   #18

Boat: C & C Landfall 38
TabbyCat

Here's the declaration page for our policy dated May 8, 2009.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lastscan.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	9632  
iiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 20:01   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

iiii,
I asked the underwriter at Progressive what's going on, since I recieve that message about not allowing vessels over 35' all the time. I figured it always applied, but he says it actually goes by zipcode. They classify zipcodes as either coastal or non-coastal. In my test case, in the mooring location, I entered in the zip code for St Augustine - I see yours is for West Palm Beach. I don't see why they would consider you to be coastal in WPB and me to be non-coastal in St Augustine, so I sent him a follow up e-mail. There appear to be some errors in their zip code database. He's going to check into it. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 31-08-2009, 21:23   #20

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
It's interesting how sometimes the insurability is not at all clear. I had one boat that the insurance company flip flopped 8 times about whether or not I could get a certain coverage before they finally wrote the policy. Very frustrating.

The other boats I've insured were all very straight forward.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:03   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's what the underwriter at Progressive said about their rating system the 35' length:
"All inland boats are up to 50' and $250,000 in value. The coastal limitation is 35' and $175,000."

The zip code I used in my sample was for St Augustine, Florida. So they consider that to be coastal. Seems kind of backwards that coastal boats are only allowed to be a maximum of 35, but that explains why I keep getting declines for boats over 35'.

iiii- I have asked (without identifying your policy number or name) whether your zipcode is considered coastal or inland in their system, and also whether they go by mooring zip code or mailing zip code, since their system has a separate field for each of those.

So their intentions are clear, but their computer program might have some bad zip code data.

Best Regards,
Susan
Old 20-11-2009, 20:49   #22
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Cal 28 1967
Progressive
$101.00 annually

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 06:46   #23

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
BoatU.S.
1976 Allied Princess 36'
Approximately $2,500.00
Within 1/2 mile of the Atlantic on a barrier island

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 18:54   #24

I have found BoatUS and RLI (via Mariners General) to be the cheapest in my neck of the weekds. This is Fort Lauderdale.

$2000 for $130k coverage (vessel value) with $5000 hurricane/named storm deductible
night0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 06:31   #25

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
Given the restrictions of living in a hurricane area I have opted to be uninsured. I plan ahead for worse case scenarios. Over the last ten yrs insurance has become the bane of my existence and I've dropped all but fire and liability on my home. Analyse your risk and your ability to recover from loss and do the math. Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 06:47   #26

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
here's another vote for IMIS. They are an agent and will tell you the pros and cons of the different companies and policies. That is what I really want since I dont want to read the fine print from 10 different companies. Also, they know which companies are actually easy to get a payout from and which arent. That is really the crux of the matter. No matter how good a policy looks on paper, if they jerk you around and dont pay for a year or two when you really need it, what good are they?
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 08:42   #27

Hi Flo Far,

Congratulations on your boat purchase. There are many companies that can offer you a boat insurance but there are others companies as well that sells boat insurance right on the website. You can check policydog.com for that because they give you an instant quote on the website which you can compare with the price of what others quoted you. If you like the price then you can buy boat insurance online. They offer pretty good service.

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloFar View Post
Aye Mates, ...am about to purchase a S/B (37' cruiser) and am interested in information, horror stories, good stuff and the like about marine insurance/companies.

Anyone care to share their personal experiences both good and bad, cheap and expensive, and to whom???? would you recommend

Thanks,
FloFar
Tim Parker is offline   Reply With Quote