Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2009, 14:39   #1

Question Boat Insurance

Aye Mates, ...am about to purchase a S/B (37' cruiser) and am interested in information, horror stories, good stuff and the like about marine insurance/companies.

Anyone care to share their personal experiences both good and bad, cheap and expensive, and to whom???? would you recommend

Thanks,
FloFar
FloFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 23:01   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
try the search button. There are many insurance threads here.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 13:06   #3

Boat: Harstad 31' (32' LOD) Serendipity
Send a message via ICQ to tomperanteau Send a message via AIM to tomperanteau Send a message via MSN to tomperanteau Send a message via Yahoo to tomperanteau Send a message via Skype™ to tomperanteau
When we bought our boat, I went online and was able to obtain insurance from Progressive within a few hours. I have not had to make a claim, so no information on how they pay off. I can tell you that most insurance companies are horrible to deal with when they owe you money, and have been involved in law suits on several occasions because of this
tomperanteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 14:10   #4

Boat: Cantana 401, 41' Kaya
Send a message via Skype™ to Kaya 09
Congrats on your boat purchase! My husband and I have Zurich. They have been awesome to deal with during our recent claim. I will, however, suggest to you that be sure you know and like your agent. I realize that life is full of 'click and quote' but one cannot underestimate the value of an agent when the insurance is actually needed. The agent will make the biggest difference between a good claim experience and a bad claim experience.....regardless of the insurance carrier.
Old 25-08-2009, 14:58   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
In addition to the agent suggestion which is a good one, you should thoroughly read competing policies before buying anything. It amazes me how many people buy insurance without first reading the limitations, exclusions, ACV terms, etc.. and just go by price which is a false economy. Doing otherwise opens yourself up to taking suggestion from people who think they have a great insurance underwriter.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 15:31   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Quote:
My husband and I have Zurich.
Kaya 09 - Zurich exited the Marine insurance business in May of this year. You're going to have to get a new policy at your renewal. You agent should have notified you by now.

Best Regards,
Susan
Old 25-08-2009, 15:34   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Quote:
insurance from Progressive within a few hours.
Tomperanteau,
Progressive is a good A- rated company. Unfortunately they will not insure vessels over 35' long, and FloFar is purchasing a 37' vessel.
Old 25-08-2009, 16:04   #8

Boat: Harstad 31' (32' LOD) Serendipity
Send a message via ICQ to tomperanteau Send a message via AIM to tomperanteau Send a message via MSN to tomperanteau Send a message via Yahoo to tomperanteau Send a message via Skype™ to tomperanteau
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post
Tomperanteau,
Progressive is a good A- rated company. Unfortunately they will not insure vessels over 35' long, and FloFar is purchasing a 37' vessel.
Thanks for the update. We're about to purchase a larger boat and will need to get different insurance.
tomperanteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 13:53   #9

Boat: Cantana 401, 41' Kaya
Send a message via Skype™ to Kaya 09
Tabby Cat,
Thanks for the heads up, but we knew Zurich was exciting the marine insurance industry. However, I think the exit might have been July as they renewed our policy in June. My main objective of the post was to recommend using an agent vs point and click purchasing. Just an opinion!!!
Old 27-08-2009, 14:18   #10

Boat: Boatless
Tabby,
We have IMIS and have found them to be competative, professional, efficient, and much preferable to a company based in the Ukraine that was a little cheaper.

Phil
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 14:53   #11

Everyone, thanks for the great info and suggestions. I have beed looking at prices and policies, particularly the policy itself. I have a freind that lost his boat to flooding and is still trying to collect (times over two years now). If I know which company I would certainly tell you all.

I, too, believe that sometimes, but not always, you get what you pay for. I just don't want to spend a lot of money or even a little and not be covered.

I haven't looked at IMIS yet....thanks Y'all!
FloFar
Old 30-08-2009, 07:00   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I was looking at a cruising friends policy policy that he stated allowed him to remain in the "box" Tropical Storm area of the Caribbean. Sure enough the main body of the policy had the old language defining the southern limit of the "box" to at N12 - 40 - or up at the top of the Grenadines. But further back in the package was the Addendums or attachments to the basic policy and lo and behold there was one resetting the southern limit down to the current N11 degrees and it clearly stated that this addendum negates anything in the basic policy.
- - So read the - whole - thing, many significant modifications are contained in those extra pages at the back of the policy.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 07:40   #13

Thanks Osirissail! Now that's what I am talking about...
I speak Athabascan better than I do legalease.

I guess the best thing to do is flip a few bucks, or beers into my lawyer cousin to read over whatever policy that I decide to get.

...just trying to do the "right" thing from the get go. 'Don't want to get caught with my pants down.
Old 30-08-2009, 07:48   #14

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I've had boat US on a few boats now over 10 years. IMIS has a very good reputation as agents for lining people up with good companies at a good price. Realize, they are agents, not the underwriter. (Same with Boat US, but they only represent one company I believe).

Progressive has good prices if you only need US coverage.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 12:18   #15

Boat: C & C Landfall 38
We insured with Progressive this year.
Our boat is 38 foot, so someone is giving you bad information.
iiii is offline   Reply With Quote