Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2018, 22:05   #1

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Boat Luck

After 10hrs motor sailing from Byron Bay to Gold Coast here in Australia, the engine decides to sputter the moment I cross the bar and enter the channel. The tide is flowing full speed out and I doubt there was enough wind to pull me through. I lower the throttle and then raise it, lower it and then raise it even higher. It finally revs up and runs strong. It purred smoothly with no problems all the way to the anchorage a mile away.

Now, I’m not necessarily looking for crits or help with the engine, but if you have any ideas I’ll welcome it... But more so, Do you have this kind of luck? I hear the stories about the wind changing to be on the nose the moment you leave the dock, that happens, but 10hrs perfect and then sputter in the worst place possible. Am I doing it wrong?

I’d love to hear similar stories. Or just your feelings on this situation. Or if you’ve NEVER had things like happen please let me (us) know your secret.

thanks,
austin
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 22:37   #2

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: Boat Luck

I thought you meant how lucky you were the engine kept running for you and didn't sputter out!

The problem sure sounds like a fuel blockage somewhere in the system, probably because of sh!t in the tank getting stirred up in the ocean swells and eventually mucking up the works. Maybe the increased rpms eventually sucked it into the filter.

I had the engine go out a few years back entering Norfolk, VA..no wind, drifting ominously towards an aircraft carrier all boomed off with patrol boats circling about like sharks. No one was at the helm as I was down below changing filters.. No fun!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 23:14   #3

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I was gonna second that fuel comment above.... same in my old VW.... when going gets literally rough, sea or road, that's always the most likely time for a good old fuel blockage
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 23:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
I thought you meant how lucky you were the engine kept running for you and didn't sputter out!

The problem sure sounds like a fuel blockage somewhere in the system, probably because of sh!t in the tank getting stirred up in the ocean swells and eventually mucking up the works. Maybe the increased rpms eventually sucked it into the filter.

I had the engine go out a few years back entering Norfolk, VA..no wind, drifting ominously towards an aircraft carrier all boomed off with patrol boats circling about like sharks. No one was at the helm as I was down below changing filters.. No fun!

I guess it’s a glass half full vs half empty situation

There was almost sh!t other places when I heard the initial sputter.

How did that turn out for you? Some of those boats have really big guns mounted to the front...
Old 01-05-2018, 23:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I was gonna second that fuel comment above.... same in my old VW.... when going gets literally rough, sea or road, that's always the most likely time for a good old fuel blockage

Yeah, I gave the onboard tanks a really good scrubbing a few years back when my filters were consistently clogged. I found about a hand full of sand and pea sized crystals in each, and all kind of gunk in the corners... maybe it’s time for another inspection.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:59   #6

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
After 10hrs motor sailing from Byron Bay to Gold Coast here in Australia, the engine decides to sputter the moment I cross the bar and enter the channel. The tide is flowing full speed out and I doubt there was enough wind to pull me through. I lower the throttle and then raise it, lower it and then raise it even higher. It finally revs up and runs strong. It purred smoothly with no problems all the way to the anchorage a mile away.

Now, I’m not necessarily looking for crits or help with the engine, but if you have any ideas I’ll welcome it... But more so, Do you have this kind of luck? I hear the stories about the wind changing to be on the nose the moment you leave the dock, that happens, but 10hrs perfect and then sputter in the worst place possible. Am I doing it wrong?

I’d love to hear similar stories. Or just your feelings on this situation. Or if you’ve NEVER had things like happen please let me (us) know your secret.

thanks,
austin
Nothing unusual about that; it is a boat you know!!
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:33   #7

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

In 2015 we were approached the first waypoint for the notorious Wide Bay Bar (which is over one mile long) when the chartplotter froze. We had to reboot it via the breaker switch. Then, half way across the bar, the alarm on the starboard engine went off. I kept it running at idle just in case. Turns out it was a loose connection. The chartplotter problem was something that others have said has happened to them also crossing this bar!
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:05   #8

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller

Engines conk out and electronics fail all the time, you only remember the times when they are an issue like crossing a bar etc, the other times are just annoying and forgotten
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat