Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2018, 10:05   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 43
Boat Name Advice

Well we finally found our project boat and as I begin to prep the topside for paint (the first of many projects) we're starting to think about what to name her.

Tiny bit of back story...
We've been looking for a little more than a year for a 35-45' sailboat to keep in a Florida marina. 3 months ago, on a lark, my wife drops a bid on a Boat Angel eBay listing for an Allied Princess 36, and we won the auction for a grand total of a $102.00.

And now, we need to settle on a name. Someone pitched the idea of naming her "Sea Note" as a nod to her pecuniary origin story. Does this tickle the gag-reflex like some of those boat names we see that are just ... too much (Nauti Buoy et al)?

I know no one else is going to see 'Sea Note' and immediately think about a hundred dollar bill, that much of it is just for us or maybe our inevitable sailing family Youtube channel, but does it cross the line into corniness? (He who would make a pun would pick a pocket.)

Yes, I'm asking the verbal equivalent of, "Does this dress make my butt look big.", a truly subjective appraisal. No I won't take offense if you say it does.

Cheers,
Chris
BrightSEALAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 09:18   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Boat Name Advice

Nope.. it makes your butt look just right.. and it works some how with boat bucks..
A boat buck = 100 USD..
I like it... but also think Sealab sounds cool... like Lloyd Bridges cool...
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 09:43   #3

Boat: Leopard 39

Don't ask me, I thought "Wet Dream" was a cool name.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 10:46   #4

Boat: Hunter Legend 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
I like it... but also think Sealab sounds cool... like Lloyd Bridges cool...
Thank you. A few years into our marriage I mentioned this old show I used to catch as reruns called Sealab 2020 and she flipped because she used to love the show as well. It had a very short original run and it's actually older than we are by a few years but they would play it on a UHF channel I could mostly get tuned in.

So we had a laugh about that. Then Cartoon Network bought up a bunch of old Hanna-Barbera properties in 2000 or so and released an irreverant sequal to the show called Sealab 2021. Great, silly, show.

So when we started our search for our boat, the wife started a journal to keep track of and memorialize the process. She started with an acronym for our longterm goal...

Sell Everything And Live A Board (SEALAB)

Yeah, the last two letters don't exactly work but I think it works well enough.

Maybe... Sell Everything And Live on A Boat (SEALAB)

Not sure which works better.
BrightSEALAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 11:18   #5

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Something to keep in mind is how it sounds on a VHF or phone... Whether calling the CG or a marina, do you want to have a name that you MUST spell out for them to get right? Do you want a name that's easy for others to recall? Silly acronyms or crazy spellings of common words, or unpronounceable names in a foreign language could just make your life more difficult.

IMHO, keep it simple and not too long.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 12:10   #6

Boat: Victoire 1270

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
IMHO, keep it simple and not too long.
syPhilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 12:30   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightSEALAB View Post
Well we finally found our project boat and as I begin to prep the topside for paint (the first of many projects) we're starting to think about what to name her.

Tiny bit of back story...
We've been looking for a little more than a year for a 35-45' sailboat to keep in a Florida marina. 3 months ago, on a lark, my wife drops a bid on a Boat Angel eBay listing for an Allied Princess 36, and we won the auction for a grand total of a $102.00.

And now, we need to settle on a name. Someone pitched the idea of naming her "Sea Note" as a nod to her pecuniary origin story. Does this tickle the gag-reflex like some of those boat names we see that are just ... too much (Nauti Buoy et al)?

I know no one else is going to see 'Sea Note' and immediately think about a hundred dollar bill, that much of it is just for us or maybe our inevitable sailing family Youtube channel, but does it cross the line into corniness? (He who would make a pun would pick a pocket.)

Yes, I'm asking the verbal equivalent of, "Does this dress make my butt look big.", a truly subjective appraisal. No I won't take offense if you say it does.

Cheers,
Chris
Congratulations! Nice name but C NOTE will cost less if you buy letters. I hope it doesn’t turn to MONEY PIT.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 12:50   #8

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Now I always thought a boat buck was $1000...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 16:20   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Now I always thought a boat buck was $1000...
Me too!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 19:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Me too!
same here. supported by BOAT = Bring Out Another Thousand

To the OP: If I saw "Sea Note" I wouldn't have made the connection to "C Note" so it probably wouldnt have been an eye roller to me. If I ever made that connection or if it was pointed out to me it would be an eye roller. But Im just one honest opinion. I would not be be surprised if my own boat's name rolled a few eyes, nor would I care.
gRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 22:48   #11

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Saw a big sport fisherman in a marina named “Despite Alimony “.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 11:54   #12

for what its worth, USCG documented vessel search shows 31 vessels named "Sea Note" or "Sea Notes"
gRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 14:52   #13

Being a music lover, I always think of C-notes as those on a musical scale, not in a wallet. Since you're giving the vessel a new life, and since the high point of a great rock concert is when the band comes back out on stage for a final song, I'd name her "Encore".

Two syllables, simple, easy to understand. Strangers will just think "Nice boat name", while you and her keep the romantic smiles and winks knowing that you have a fun secret story.

Just a thought.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 15:03   #14

I still think Double Entry is the best/worst name ever.

I've wanted to rename as Boat....just to be incredibly annoyingly confusing to people on the radio....sounding much like the scene in Wayne's World when Wayne is ordering food at a drive-thru.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 08:43   #15

Boat: Hanse 531

Are there any strong do's and don'ts regarding the naming ceremony? How do you do it? Do people still have naming ceremonies for their boats?

We'll get our new boat delivered in a few months time and we thought to travel to the yard, see the boat and also have some kind of naming ceremony before it's wrapped in plastic to wait for spring.

Is it ok to name the boat before it's launched into water? Or actually preferred to do just like that?

I read somewhere that during the ceremony some people pour a bit of something sparkling on the bow of the yacht (instead of breaking anything). Is that something you've heard of and people really do in modern AWB yards without all the employees going ?

I like the idea of respecting traditions as long as they are sort of positive and eventually might protect us from certain doom.

P.S. As a previously active jazz pianist I think the name "Sea Note" is cool

Tags
boat