Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 16:48   #16

Re: Boat Name - Painted vs Decal

For all sorts of philosophical reasons, I will have our boat name done by an artist.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 16:51   #17
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
You're lucky to know someone who still does that sort of work.

The fellow who painted the name on my previous boat insisted that no one be aboard for the two days it took him to paint, and he couldn't work in inclement weather, including a strong breeze. When the work was completed, he'd give the owner a 15 minute lecture on how to care for the painting--you couldn't wax it or you'd take the paint off--and how we'd know when it was time to have the paint touched up.

Some folks would end up having to get their designs repainted every five years.

Vinyl lasts longer, costs less initially, is easier to maintain, and doesn't require multiple days to apply. Hard to argue with that on aesthetic grounds.

Yeah I work on a lot of classic bright finished wood boats with old school lettering like that. The first time the new guy takes a buffer to the 24 kt. gold leaf on an old Garwood when trying to wax it is also the last!
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 16:54   #18

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
For all sorts of philosophical reasons, I will have our boat name done by an artist.
Any reason the artist can't be you? Would be as personal as the name. I might use my nephew http://www.colelemke.com/ to depict what I want, as he is an artist, but it will be a digital file so that I can set up for the creation of a vinyl transfer.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:07   #19

Boat: Haida 26

I use vinyl, but have had a problem w/ fading in the past. Now I spray w/ a clear polyurethane paint. Stops fading & peeling when washing w/ brushes. This works for me.. Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 22:15   #20

Boat: Pearson 281

Prefer hand painted myself. The local sign painter (a lot of boats and big-rigs) who did mine spent the whole time drinking beer and sparring with his drunk girlfriend who kept threatening to knock him in the elbow while rocking the finger as he painted free-hand. I thought "this isn't going to end well" but he got the colors and the simple font just right and it turned out to be just about the most entertaining $200 (both sides of my double ender) I'd ever spent. Decal, yeah, but this was nicer all around and more fun.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 23:36   #21

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

our name is 2 tone layered vinyl, we used an online place. used premium 3M material $45 for a 48"x16" decal. I fubr'd it the first time. I called and explained what happened... they replaced it for free, including shipping...... I am very pleased with the results. Local places wanted 250-350 for the same exact decal. I never checked into painting but I bet its more that $45 bux. Heres a link:
Vinyl Lettering | Custom Vinyl Lettering

no affilation, just a very satisfied customer.
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:13   #22

Boat: Island Packet 380

Thanks for all the feedback, I think we are leaning in the direction of ordering a decal, but my biggest fear is messing it up when applying it. It will be on the transom, so likely to be fairly large. Any tips for applying it so it doesn't end up slanted when it's not supposed to be?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:18   #23
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsailing View Post
Thanks for all the feedback, I think we are leaning in the direction of ordering a decal, but my biggest fear is messing it up when applying it. It will be on the transom, so likely to be fairly large. Any tips for applying it so it doesn't end up slanted when it's not supposed to be?

Yes-pay a pro. I don't know about your locale, but here the vinyl lettering guys are cheap and really good. There are a number of tricks of the trade which they use to acheive perfect lettering. If you have never done it before and have a large or complex graphic it can be quite difficult to get perfect, and you only have one shot. Squirt bottles and squeegees are the order of the day. A good vinyl guy will only take a couple of hours and it might cost you a bill or two. Totally worth it. Unless you have small simple lettering and you are trying to save a buck.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 19:13   #24

You can check out Vinyl Cut Decals & Stickers*|*Low Cost High Quality Decals & Stickers I have ordered through them before. The quality holds up really well and I would imagine would be much better then paint. A little more versatile as well.
byerlyblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 20:00   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

There was a very nice lady here in Miami who painted boat names topless. She did very nice work. Might still be doing it.
Old 16-05-2012, 20:33   #26

Boat: Explorer 45
Send a message via Skype™ to Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar
There was a very nice lady here in Miami who painted boat names topless. She did very nice work. Might still be doing it.
When I met her few years back at huricane cove Marina she used to work completely naked.
Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote