Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 18:23   #1

Boat: To Be Announced
Boat Names

We were just leaving the Olive Garden and a discussion came up about boat names. It seems there are a lot of names that seem a bit "odd" to someone who doesn't know how a name originated. So we were throwing a few ideas back and forth for future boat names, and I came up with what I think is the perfect name:

"Hope It Dont Sink"

Haha.... :-) gave us a good laugh at least! Thought I'd share.

Jesse
PilotJesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 19:11   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Boat names need to pass the VHF test. If you can say it easily say the name three time and make it such that it is not hard to spell then it works. Cute names get old quickly.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 19:33   #3

Boat: s/v Giro Lagoon 380 S2 #409
Send a message via Skype™ to twowheel
Definitely have to test the phonetic test. Consider having to repeat the name you mentioned above to a foreign coast guard multiple times:

Hotel-Oscar-Pappa-Echo India-Tango Delta-Oscar-November-Tango Sierra-India-November-Kilo

Would get kind of old REAL FAST.
twowheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 20:56   #4

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
The name also needs not be confused, or manipulated..
We had run across some people that had chartered a boat out of Florida..The name on the boat was "Night Wind"...but after a few days, people were calling it the
"Fart In The Dark"
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 21:00   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Paul is so right. One of my ways of killing time out on the water is to listen in to distress calls to the Coast Guard. I can't tell you how many times I have heard a bizarre or complex name trip them up. Keeping a name simple, English and a common word is really the best way.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:41   #6

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
The other day I passed a fishing boat called "Ayuda".

That ought to cause some confusion for the Coast Guard.

Imagine someone calling that boat via the VHF.

"Ayuda, Ayuda, Ayuda, this is xxx".

In Spanish, Ayuda means "Help".

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 21:08   #7

Boat: boat less ATM
Agree with easily understood, easy to say names. In OZ Volunteer Marine Rescue radio ops are often the wrong side of 70 and their hearing aint usually the best. So you often hear some real ballsed up names being acknowledged over the VHF.

ALSO IMHO boat name should be seven letters long, for luck. as in TITANIC (OOPS)and should not attract the wrath of Neptune by mentioning bad weather or sea conditions.

Some I have seen include Cyclone, Tornado, LIghtning, Storm, Tsunami (7 letters but still asking for trouble) and Reefer (sure to attract the attention of the authorities). I once met an american yacht called "Daq (as in daquari) Attack". Unfortunately in New Zealand apparently Daq is slang for a joint. NOT GOOD - see Reefer.
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 23:09   #8

Boat: Pearson Ariel 264
I`m just going to name my boat "BOB".
Old 11-09-2009, 23:45   #9

Boat: Ta Shing Tashiba 40
I am absolutely with Paul on this one. Having said this, there are still so many great - easy, short - names out there.
Pacific Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:59   #10

Boat: 1990, catalina 30' tall rig
The old boat name on our ( new to us boat) is Witch of November.
We were discussing new boat names with the kids and after a really bad docking attempt, read -high wind+ high stress. my son said " We should name this boat 'Student Driver".
Good thing he's cute
boatless 4 now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:39   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Boat names need to pass the VHF test. If you can say it easily say the name three time and make it such that it is not hard to spell then it works. Cute names get old quickly.
This is of course an oldy and a furphy (Furphy = Aus slang for unreliable info)

The VHF test is only useful if you sail only in a place that only speaks your leanguage. If you sail anywhere else even standard english /spanish/russian/aremnian words are problematic. And in any event your rego number is always a useful way to communicate. as in "Qld Rego Sierra Tango 394 Quebec".

For what its worth short is probably better cause its easier to phonetically spell.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:48   #12

Boat: C & C Landfall 38
I also like brevity!
iiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:09   #13

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Difficult names can put bridge and lock tenders off if they need to be spelled out several times.
I named my boat GUMBO thinking it would be easy to get across, but I have been asked on several occasions, even on the Gulf Coast where Gumbo, the soup, is a staple, how it is spelled. One guy even thought I was saying DUMBO! Sometimes I agree with him.
I can only imagine the problems of the sailboat I saw a few years ago in Mobile, Alabama her name was ZUBINELGENUBI after the star.
Good Cruisin'
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:53   #14

Boat: 1995 Beneteau Oceanis 281
Boatless, you do realize that "Witch of November" is in reference to lyrics in Gordon Lightfoot's Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

-Cheers
Waterborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:13   #15
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
I really want to know...

What the s/v stands for in front of so many boat names.

I confess to having been reading the boat name threads a bit compulsively because our little hole in the water is a Cal 28 and has been called the Cal 'o Mine.

Which, while somewhat cute and somewhat clever, makes me ITCH... I can't get past Calamine lotion... and Himself wants to put his own personal stamp on her so we will be rechristening her... She came to us in such neglected shape as the Cal 'o Mine we think she deserves to have a fresh name to go with her fresh circumstances.

Initially Himself wanted '4 play', then we considered 'Papa's Pet'. A lot of others shifted briefly into mind and passed thru so fast I can't remember them.. although we did have a few discussion about how many wenches/winches any one man could handle... Our youngest was proposing Sea Wench ; -)

4 play
was deemed too suggestive. Papa's Pet was too long and obscure when spoken. Sea Wench was too common.

Finally we seem to have landed on tsunami, which has some back story for us and seems to fit our little hole in the water... she has been raced hard and sailed a lot and somehow seems like a force of nature in and of herself when under sail... when we finally got her out and going she just leapt under hand as the wind came to her. Himself was astounded at how alive she felt. While there are some who might be wary of the rough weather connection, that doesn't bother us. I think we may have landed on it... but the whole s/v tsunami puzzles me and googling it didn't turn up an explanation. I haven't noticed it on transoms so I am guessing it may only go on paperwork?

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat names