Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 15:32   #16

gladstone marina

I gave them a call and I cant rememember off had what it was but they said they only have a daily rate, it was 40 some thing bucks a day. it was really steep!! as bad as yepoon or mackay ! Maybe i should give them another call as gladstone would be perfect for me, cheers muzz
muzzbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 15:53   #17

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Interesting topic as LOA seems to mean different things in itself. My boats specs are 42' 3" LOA ("at the rails") and my US document says so yet I have 8 more feet of bowsprit out front and 3 more of davits aft. Personally, I'd look for a mooring if I had to leave it and stay on the hook otherwise.
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 21:12   #18

Re: Boat Size - LOD vs LOA for Marina Berth Measurement

Sadly no Queensland, Australia marinas are set up for Mediterranean mooring, which allows more yachts per dock, per marina, and then only a beam matters.

The pontoons common and all along the QLD coast are a luxury most yotties could care less for.

Besides a Mediterranean mooring is as comfortable.
denker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 02:06   #19

sure tell them lies give your on deck length and if they except that and nothing happens all's good. But stick out more than 10 % the dock size and have a boat hit you, you can guess whose arse they are coming for. Just someone else trying to buck the system and ruining it for everyone. if your boat is overall 15m pay for 15m.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 02:41   #20

Boat: Westerly Sealord

My boat's LOA is 11.64 as built.... so with the self steering demounted ( the fixed brackets add maybe 10cms) but allowing for the anchor she would be within a micron of 12 metres so I invariably state that she is 11 and a bit and pay for sub 12 metres..

That said the three New Zealand marinas I was in in the recent past all wanted to know her length including davits and/ or self steering...... but they didn't come and measure her..

One of them was very 'tight' and I wouldn't have wanted to try and berth in their sub 12 metre berths with 2 metres of extra **** stuff hanging off the back....
Old 21-03-2016, 19:44   #21

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

What Simon V said.
Old 21-03-2016, 22:17   #22

Boat: Wilderness 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
sure tell them lies give your on deck length and if they except that and nothing happens all's good. But stick out more than 10 % the dock size and have a boat hit you, you can guess whose arse they are coming for. Just someone else trying to buck the system and ruining it for everyone. if your boat is overall 15m pay for 15m.
Totally agree with SimonV.
And you'd better have insurance as well.
scaredycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 22:53   #23

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Refering back to the OP I think marina management would notice the extra 13.7 feet pretty quick...
Old 22-03-2016, 05:45   #24
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

I guess you guys don't realize you're replying to a post written by a user who hasn't logged in to this forum in six years.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 10:59   #25

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

I had my Roberts 65 in a too short slip because that is all they had. A drunk fisherman T-boned my starboard side a couple of meters aft of the bow. He would have sunk, but the Coasties had been practicing emergency pumping and happened to have all their equipment loaded in a launch, so they got to him and pumped like mad while towing him to the travel lift. His bow was stove in pretty bad, I had to look very hard to find where he'd marred my paint a little. My boat was steel, his was wood. I'm guessing a glass boat would not have fared much better.

Got that Zee? LOL
Old 22-03-2016, 20:01   #26

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzbishop View Post
Im looking at buying a 42 ft roberts spray ive been in love with boat for 17 years and now in in a postition to buy it. But it has a bowsprit and a bumkin/davits which takes it out to 55.7 feet or 17 meters over all.

When you sign up for a berth do i just tell them it 42' or will it be measured?
The correct terminology is....

The 'Length OverAll' (LOA) (ie. length from stem to stern) is 42 feet.

It has a bowsprit and boomkin, so the 'Sparred Length' is 56 feet.

When you sign up for a berth and tell the dockmaster your boat is 42 feet long, and so he assigns you a space on the dock that's 50 feet long, well, I'll bet you don't pull that at the next marina you try.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 01:02   #27

Boat: Alan Pape Ketch

Hi mate

I have my boat in Gladstone. Under 2000 per year in Auckland inlet on the pole moorings and my boat is a touch over 50ft. Its CHEAP. Easy to get in and out of. Is safe in cyclone and right next to marina
Mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 01:05   #28

Boat: Alan Pape Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I guess you guys don't realize you're replying to a post written by a user who hasn't logged in to this forum in six years.
Lol pays to read the whole post first. Still good info if people are googling something similar
Mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 01:17   #29

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

To the OP,

I dont care if you havnt logged in recently, you are still welcome to ask your questions

Do you really need a berth? Or can you manage with a mooring? The tackle is around $1800 for your size baot and then you own it. I dont know how it works in Queensland, but down here you pay a $75 yearly fee to the local authority for the location and its yours.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 07:06   #30

For those others who come across the thread:

Our experience is marina's almost always state LOA as the official requirement (and that includes bowsprits, davits, dinghies and anything else hanging off the ends).

BUT!!!! as long as they aren't extreme almost no one actually measures the boat and they will accept the manufacturers listed hull length. We have a 33'6" boat but the dingy sticks out a couple feet beyond the stern. We've never been charged for more than a 34' boat having stopped at a couple hundred marinas over the years (USA).

Not if you have 40' hull with a 10-15' bowsprit and a dingy on davits hanging 6-8' off the back. They probably aren't going to accept 40' as you will need something on the order of a 60' slip.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa, lod