Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2015, 19:05   #1

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.
Boat Surveyor in Miami area.

I need a surveyor in the Miami / Biscayne bay area, any good recomendations?

also any thoughts on quality / inexpensive marina's and haul out services around that area?
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 19:31   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Boat Surveyor in Miami area.

Yes try capt Bannister he is the best and most thorough. There are several well known surveyors on the Fl SE coast that have great reputations but actually suck and arent even accredited by either Sam's or Nams and just rip people off getting by on their blown up reputation from giving kickbacks to brokers for making deals happen. His website is

http://m.suenosazules.com/
No relation or anything he just helped us out from a
Issues w a terrible surveyor.
As for haulouts theres 3 or 4 in key largo, hallendale / Ft Lauderdale has one.
Whomever you choose to survey make well and sure they are accredited and have experience, you can check their name at the Same sand Nams websites

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 06:54   #3

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

A surveyor I hired Paul Anstey, he routinely travels to Miami, and he was very good, he walked me through everything, even helping scrape the bottom to expedite the process. The price was average, but I hit it off with the guy pretty easy, and he is a wealth of information.

Home

I was North of Miami a little bit, in Dania, but the Playboy yard on the Dania cutoff is a great place for a haulout survey...good people there, they also have a list of contractors that do work in their yard if you need that too.
Old 29-08-2015, 07:28   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Dulcesuenos is correct. We see this all too often. Anybody can hang a shingle and boom, yesterday they couldn't even spell suryeor, today they are one. My experience with surveyors is that you may have no choice but to hire one for financing or insurance reasons, but if you really want to be sure, hire a qualified marine electrician, rigger, and diesel mechanic, etc, along with the surveyor to look at the boat you are serious about. This may cost another $500+ to do, but if anyone of them find something only their real expert eye can catch you'll find the $500 was well worth the investment in either walking away or re-negotiation of the deal. If there is a watermaker on-board I come out at no charge and take a look. It's good future business for me. I know every year I have to tell a new owner or two of a used boat that they'll be spending more than the extra cost above to get things right that perhaps the previous owner could have made right first. Brokers know this and most won't say a thing $$$$$$. Always, Caveat Emptor.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 07:34   #5

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers

+1 Paul Anstey

Used him twice... great experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Cruiser View Post
A surveyor I hired Paul Anstey, he routinely travels to Miami, and he was very good, he walked me through everything, even helping scrape the bottom to expedite the process. The price was average, but I hit it off with the guy pretty easy, and he is a wealth of information.

Home

I was North of Miami a little bit, in Dania, but the Playboy yard on the Dania cutoff is a great place for a haulout survey...good people there, they also have a list of contractors that do work in their yard if you need that too.
offline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miami, survey, surveyor