Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2024, 12:08   #31

Re: Boaters courses needed for transients?

But does any of this apply to navigable waterways?
Old 21-06-2024, 20:27   #32

Oh my. With a 100 Ton Masters license and a US Sailing and US Powerboat instructors Cert. I would hope to not have to mess with this. I knew there was a reason that I prefer to cruise elsewhere.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 20:44   #33

I paid the fee and did the on line test to get a PBOC. I didn't need one. I just was tired of explaining to a variety of officials in rubber boats why I don't have one.

Unlike my work license, Which I intentionally do not take fishing or sailing.
My PBOC fits in my wallet. Its waterproof, I couldn't care less if I lost it, So next time I go fishing, I will have my fishing license and a PBOC. After I show it to them they will go away and bug someone else.

Sailng S of the border they have never asked yet. Coming back I have been asked.
Not sure if Washington requires a card these days. Never was asked. Oregon does but were quite happy when I said I had a commercial license. (My boat was state registered in Oregon when I bought it) So technically, my license was not valid. Nobody Insurance or anyone else had a problem with it.

Most places require citizen ship and or permeant residence. To hold a certificate. Or a drivers license.
Whether this applies to a boating card?
I would make a wild guess it does.
On a Canadian registered boat, If you meet Canadian requirements. You should be fine.
I have read I could be issued a ICC in Europe if I ever felt the urge provided Canada continues to ignore it.
I think I could get a 6 pack without being a resident. Not sure, not much point without a green card anyway.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 21:40   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
When I was looking into this last, few states recognized licensure as a USCG master as an alternative to obtaining a state boating safety card, and a few specifically did so only for voyages of a commercial nature.
When the card was first introduced here in Canada the regulation did not accept any other certification. A friend who was a TC Examiner suggested we just tell anyone who wanted to ticket us to !@#$ of. There no way any citation would stand up in court. The Law changed a few years later. Pretty much any certificate issued by Transport Canada is now accepted.
I never did get a ticket, I did get tired of explaining. When the law changed, I didn't really have anything left to complain about.

I think it would be ridiculous if a state actually tried to suggest in court a holder of a USCG or USN certificate wasn't qualified to operate a pleasure boat.
Just cause I think it ridiculous doesn't mean a local state trooper and state court would agree or they dont mind looking stupid.
Or suggesting someone who did a course ect on one side of a river isn't qualified on the other side of the river.

The PCOC is actually now the minimum commercial license to operate the smallest and most restricted commercial vessel in Canada. If you have all the rest of the bits and pieces of paper required.
Old 21-06-2024, 22:02   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgary View Post
But does any of this apply to navigable waterways?
Yes.

The question should be, Do these requirements apply in federal waters?
Since most waterways are within State Jurisdiction. How do you get to the federal waters.

Interesting point. Canada requires a foreign vessel to comply with its own regulations. So a US Flag vessel doesn't require a Card in Canadian waters if its federally registered.
What if its state registered? Canada requires the vessel to comply with its registration. I doubt if anyone would care unless something happens.
Old 23-06-2024, 11:24   #36

Boat: Tartan 3800

The jurisdictional questions are interesting and messy.

Most of the southern half of the Mississippi River -- that portion downstream of the confluence with the St. Croix River in Hastings MN/Prescott WI -- is not in any state and therefore not subject to the laws of any state or municipality. As I understand it at least. During the Westward Expansion, the bank of the Mississippi River was used to define state boundaries.

The ACoE maintains that all lakes, streams, rivers, and mud puddles that drain over the surface into the Mississippi River, directly or indirectly, are navigable waters subject to federal jurisdiction. This would include the (currently flooding) Cannon River, which flows near my house, is 112 miles long and throughout history has never seen any interstate commerce (beyond speculation that a canoe load or two of furs may have been taken downstream under favorable conditions); even before the arrival of railroads it was easier to travel on land.

The state maintains that it has jurisdiction over recreational traffic on federal navigable waters within the boundaries of the state. The state tends as a rule to be silent on the question of whether it has jurisdiction over the Mississippi south of Prescott. I think they would prefer not to have to answer.

As for coastal states, perhaps someone familiar with the legal basis for their jurisdiction over part of the ocean can enlighten us.
Old 23-06-2024, 13:09   #37

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

The federal government has delegated SOME jurisdiction of coastal waters to the states. They retain control over navigation. Basically, the states can add regulations which don't interfere with federal regs. For example, the state can't demand the licensed captain of a 1,000 foot ship get a boater education card. But they can add that requirement for recreational boats.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat