Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 18:09   #1

Boat: Volkscruiser
Boats not the project

Following a few recent threads on this forum I decided to share my experience with project boats and the rationale some people have when buying them.
The old school thinking is buy wisely or you will end up losing a lot of money. That's true but so many of my customers it's not about the money. It's more about some sort of therapy or just ticking a box. I don't know any other interest that allows you instant access to like minded individuals in a cluster once you have purchased a boat.
You literally can be a hermit one week and the next you're in the thick of it. Sorting out issues, dealing with people and having an all consuming hobby.
For lots of my customers the loss at the end when they sell the boat is more than offset by the therapy of having something to do or a dream. Some of my clients never even leave the marina.
I think the internet has a large part to play in it. Not only can you watch it you can have a go yourself.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 19:36   #2

Re: Boats not the project

There are two kinds of people who buy "project" boats.

The people who want to build a boat, and the people who want to go sailing for "cheap".

The people who want to build a boat will have fun and be rewarded by turning a pile of junk into something worth sailing.

Those who want to go sailing for cheap will be frustrated and will go broke.

The example I use is:You find a car in a barn. It is a 1955 Studabaker. Is this a car that you want to commute to work every day? Of course not. Is it going to be a fun project to bring back to show condition? Yes, for sure if that is your interest.

Sailors and boat builders are different people. That is not bad, it is not a judgement. I can completely understand both points of view. But they do not overlap.
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Boats, project