Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2022, 10:18   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression
Re: Boats with 4 cabins & 4 heads.

Tohatsu/mercury 20 hp 15hp only 100$ price difference , weight no difference
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 10:20   #17
Marine Service Provider

wrong post ,this is for Ausi
Old 17-01-2022, 10:20   #18
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis4789 View Post
Found a lagoon 50 just listed. 750k euros
forget lagoon 50-52
maybe for 200 000€ to 10 year old
Old 17-01-2022, 10:21   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermia II View Post
Benneteau 57, is a nice yacht. I sailed one single handed from Rhodes to Marmaris. Not a very HQ build, but Beneteaus are always a rather proper build.
Does it have 4 heads & 4 cabins. I did a quick internet sesrch but didn't see info. 57 foot single hull vs 44 catamaran. Is there alot more room in the 57? Would a marina charge for another 13 feet?

Took me forever to research/figure out that a 2005 prius was perfect car to uber with to make most profit & keep pax happy. 6 months after buying the 2005, uber changed rules & said my car had to be 10 years or newer vs 15 years. Smh (leather seats of course)
tennis4789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 10:24   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim King View Post
If you are considering becoming a charter boat captain, the 4 head four cabin version is a must. No one spending $5000 - $10,000 will consider spending that on anything less than ensuite heads.
Any suggestions on cheapest boat to operate that would meet the 4 heads/4 cabins & keep pax happy? Thanks

Edit: maybe upfront cost & then operating/durability. Wish toyota sold a sailboat
Old 17-01-2022, 10:25   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Does it have 4 heads & 4 cabins. I did a quick internet sesrch but didn't see info. 57 foot single hull vs 44 catamaran. Is there alot more room in the 57? Would a marina charge for another 13 feet?

Took me forever to research/figure out that a 2005 prius was perfect car to uber with to make most profit & keep pax happy. 6 months after buying the 2005, uber changed rules & said my car had to be 10 years or newer vs 15 years. Smh
no more space in 57 foot single hull vs 44 catamaran.
maybe more space in 57 foot single hull vs 39 ft catamaran
Old 17-01-2022, 11:38   #22

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
After seeing that ad, I just know i want a boat with 4 cabins & 4 heads to maximize when i get my captain's 6 pack license. But not sure what the least expensive way for me to get that functionality is.
How long before you amass enough hours for a 6-pack?

Quote:
Don't need any heads. I thought that's what the ocean was for? Lol

Any one need to go to bathroom? Just hold it we'll be in the water snorkeling in 5 minutes. Look at the beautiful brown "seahorses" yuck lol
Unless you're starting inshore somewhere in the U.S... and seawater is too cold for swimming... In that case, folks gotta "hold it" a long time before you get then out to open water.

-Chris
Old 17-01-2022, 12:05   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

People often overlook the fact that, if you are chartering abroad, a six pac doesn't cut it. You will need a Master'license and probably an STCW, as well.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 12:51   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
People often overlook the fact that, if you are chartering abroad, a six pac doesn't cut it. You will need a Master'license and probably an STCW, as well.
Bvi would i need a six pac? Usvi? Or a masters license and stcw? Is the need to be legal or to get pax to book with me.
Old 17-01-2022, 13:26   #25

Boat: Cal-40

Well you need to know a few things first...... So you are thinking a 6 pack lic and then charters. Well a 6 pack is ok if your taking six folks out on day charters but for what it sounds like you want to do you need something better like a 50 ton near shore lic at least. Then there is the issue of the boat...... now let’s just assume your French built Lagoon is already a US flagged vessel. That’s ok for your personal use however..... the Jones Act is going to keep you from using this vessel unless you get an exemption to this act for your vessel. And even if you do this your exemption is going to be good for only one area NOT the entire USA coast. Yes, I’m a charter boat skipper with a USCG lic and I understand the laws.
I’m sorry to tell you all this but I would be a shame for you to buy some foreign vessel that was not already exempted and you then need to deal with this as well as a worthless 6 pack lic and or course there is the small issue with insurance and that’s going to cost you a lot for commercial usage depending on the area, your vessel and your experience.
Best not to be boat shopping until you first cover a few other bases first. Start with a USCG 50 or better a 100 ton license, go work a season for a sailboat charter company to understand the business and gain sea time. Then once you have this you can call a few insurance companies to see the cost for different vessels. Save you money and THEN look for your boat.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 14:15   #26

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian Sea View Post
Well you need to know a few things first...... So you are thinking a 6 pack lic and then charters. Well a 6 pack is ok if your taking six folks out on day charters but for what it sounds like you want to do you need something better like a 50 ton near shore lic at least. Then there is the issue of the boat...... now let’s just assume your French built Lagoon is already a US flagged vessel. That’s ok for your personal use however..... the Jones Act is going to keep you from using this vessel unless you get an exemption to this act for your vessel. And even if you do this your exemption is going to be good for only one area NOT the entire USA coast. Yes, I’m a charter boat skipper with a USCG lic and I understand the laws.
I’m sorry to tell you all this but I would be a shame for you to buy some foreign vessel that was not already exempted and you then need to deal with this as well as a worthless 6 pack lic and or course there is the small issue with insurance and that’s going to cost you a lot for commercial usage depending on the area, your vessel and your experience.
Best not to be boat shopping until you first cover a few other bases first. Start with a USCG 50 or better a 100 ton license, go work a season for a sailboat charter company to understand the business and gain sea time. Then once you have this you can call a few insurance companies to see the cost for different vessels. Save you money and THEN look for your boat.
+1. Also have to note that poster is looking for a maid to service the pax needs, maid will require accommodation so down to three cabins, OP will be onboard with his GF so down to two cabins but he is still angling for the high yield market. How many in that market wish to share an outing with the staff living with them?

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 14:36   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
How many in that market wish to share an outing with the staff living with them?
all owner or guest superyacht or yacht bigger 25m must have pro staff.
Old 17-01-2022, 16:00   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian Sea View Post
Thanks good info on licensing.

"Save you money and THEN look for your boat."

I pretty much decide how much I want to work vs. How much I want to leisure. So without having a ballpark price of boat I want to save for, i don't have much motivation to work. $75k boat vs $300k boat means alot less working for me

So feasibility/cost of finding boat(s) that would work for 4 couples is what this thread was supposed to be about.

& again appreciate your input that I'll probably need alot of licensing that I'm not aware of.

My gf is pretty much stuck working next 7 years until retires from post office. So I'm not real excited to be away from her for months on end. Was hoping to get some boat time here & there & then finish it off once we bought our charter boat.

Lagoon was just 1st boat i came across that made me go wow that could cash flow nicely. I think only one other boat has been mentioned on this thread. But maybe all the licensing/insurance is too high of a barrier to entry for many for a 4/4. Altho Moorings seems to have the business model of renting out by room their crewed 4/4 catamarans in bvi at $5k+/week/room. $5k*3 cabins*4weeks*12months= gross money I'm sure lots of costs & lots of vacancy but if i could net amount i paid for the boat in 3 years!

Which we may charter a 4/4 in 2023 with two other couples & a captain to teach us. & the local yacht club has a sailing class this June. & I may pickup a crew position off here. Or I may work some to save altho my leisure schedule is pretty full til 2023
Old 17-01-2022, 16:19   #29

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

There are 3 head 3 cabin 2010 Jeanneau 44is out there (I have one and love it), and the 4 cabin 2 head versions from charter service. Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 16:21   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
+1. Also have to note that poster is looking for a maid to service the pax needs, maid will require accommodation so down to three cabins, OP will be onboard with his GF so down to two cabins but he is still angling for the high yield market. How many in that market wish to share an outing with the staff living with them?
Staff living with them. How else would you do it? I thought all yachts had crews living with them/serving them. Maid/cook most likely will be me!

We're trying to book our next cruise line cruise to include a butler. I've never interacted with a butler in my life. Butler separate all the green m&ms out of this package . Not sure we'll fit in the area with the butler.

& I'm not sure i really want to service people that expect me to put their socks on for them.

Tags
boat, cabin, head