Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2022, 23:18   #46

Re: Boats with 4 cabins & 4 heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Its a perfect advise
I brought a new FP 47 Sanoa from LaRochelle to Antigua for an owner exactly like you…noobie and combine leisure with easy skipper life and thinking people spend 5-10k are super chilled any easy to handle….he went broke in 8 month and needed a psychiatrist afterwards. The boat is a Desaster and need a major over
…and putting socks on people might be one of the nicer things you would need to do for people that wanna spend 5-10k for a week
I feel like i was just talking to another captain exactly like you. Male? Aplha? Arrogant?

Good job helping the guy out delivering his boat for him. Well played. You can say you were one of the people that contributed to his situation.
tennis4789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 23:34   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Maybe he is a skilled plumber? He needs to be one maintaining 4 toilettes ..ask me how I know.
Wish i was a skilled plumber! They be killing it.
Old 22-01-2022, 23:58   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Suggest instead of going on a Cruise ship, next time rent a cabin on one of skipper and hostess catamaran's that operate out off Marigot, SMX.. you will see what the job entails, and get to be what you will learn to hate.
High burn out and turnover rates..
Re discourteous captains, was not aware I was.
Sounds good. Why this one though?

skipper and hostess catamaran's that operate out off Marigot, SMX

Gf has all her vacation for this year accounted for.

Edit : googled it very cool. Looks awesome! I'm pretty frugal though. I am trying to find an affordable charter somewhere with snorkeling/fishing with a captain. Maybe bvi. More price sensitive than location. For 3 couples. Ne suggestions. For a week with a captain & then a week without.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220123_020300.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	251772  
Old 23-01-2022, 02:40   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boats with 4 cabins & 4 heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis4789 View Post

Gf has all her vacation for this year accounted for.

Edit : googled it very cool. Looks awesome! I'm pretty frugal though. I am trying to find an affordable charter somewhere with snorkeling/fishing with a captain. Maybe bvi. More price sensitive than location. For 3 couples. Ne suggestions. For a week with a captain & then a week without.
Because I knew people who did the job.. also as your talking about open water sailing the short trip to St Bart that is included might give you a taste..
Certainly more so than the BVI paddling pool... frugal yet want to charge 5-10k/week..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 04:59   #50

Quote:
Because I knew people who did the job.. also as your talking about open water sailing the short trip to St Bart that is included might give you a taste..
Certainly more so than the BVI paddling pool... frugal yet want to charge 5-10k/week..
Love to charge $26k like the charter you mentioned does. Is the $26k to buy the boat? Rent the boat? Or one room? Does it include toilet paper or do i have to bring my own? Jk kind of. I think not for sure $26k after coupon is for one person/cabin for one week tp included. Not sure

Love to be able to charge $5k. $300k boat getting $5k/week x 4 x 52 x 3 = gross money. Lots of vacancy & i don't want to work with a broker. & from your & everyone else's reaction $5k is not realistic. I don't know what the market will bear. & I'd be set up where i don't need pax money. For $5k someone else mentioned brokers/clients/customers being interviewing ME. I'd rather have a price that it's a two way street. For $1/week including food I'm guessing i could get a couple applications.

Break even analysis: $300k boat. Lots of variable I don't know. Like insurance. Crew cost. Food cost. Maintenance cost. Depreciation. Wind fees. Port fees. Local officials incentives. Marina fees. Etc etc etc. I won't run through it here because all the captains already know. . & any past experience i have really isn't useful/applicable to running a charter. Edit: business
Old 23-01-2022, 05:25   #51

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Some people on here seem to think that I'm gonna go buy a 4/4 tomorrow & then find 3 couples to charter from me. & then we're gonna sail transatlantic or some such thing.

That is exactly the impression your several posts suggest you intend to do.

(In case you didn't realize that...)

-Chris
Old 23-01-2022, 05:30   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Love to charge $26k like the charter you mentioned does. Is the $26k to buy the boat? Rent the boat? Or one room? Does it include toilet paper or do i have to bring my own? Jk kind of. I think not for sure $26k after coupon is for one person/cabin for one week tp included. Not sure

Love to be able to charge $5k. $300k boat getting $5k/week x 4 x 52 x 3 = gross money. Lots of vacancy & i don't want to work with a broker. & from your & everyone else's reaction $5k is not realistic. I don't know what the market will bear. & I'd be set up where i don't need pax money. For $5k someone else mentioned brokers/clients/customers being interviewing ME. I'd rather have a price that it's a two way street. For $1/week including food I'm guessing i could get a couple applications.

Break even analysis: $300k boat. Lots of variable I don't know. Like insurance. Crew cost. Food cost. Maintenance cost. Depreciation. Wind fees. Port fees. Local officials incentives. Marina fees. Etc etc etc. I won't run through it here because all the captains already know. . & any past experience i have really isn't useful/applicable to running a charter. Edit: business
The price is for the boat all inclusive.. food, alcohol etc.. and the food aint beans and rice,
Whether you chose to do it alone or find friends to fill the other cabins is your choice..
People have trouble finding folks to pay $25/day but don't think we're trying to put you off..
Believe me.. we all eagerly await to hear of your progress and success.. hopefully even learn where we went wrong..

Old 23-01-2022, 06:24   #53

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
I feel like i was just talking to another captain exactly like you. Male? Aplha? Arrogant?

Good job helping the guy out delivering his boat for him. Well played. You can say you were one of the people that contributed to his situation.
You have luck that i have a high tolerance like others here in the thread too... If i report that you would get banned.
Very experienced sailors and delivery captains are giving you tons of advise 4 free and you neglect everything that you don't wanna hear and even attack them verbally. Already the way you are discussing here disqualifys you to be that charter captain. As many said work 1-2 season for the charters and then you change as person or run away from your idea/dream.

Why did i contribute?
I crewed via crewseekers to get experience with cats as i planned to circumnavigate and be liveaboard. The owner should be the skipper but then short-term wasn't even on board. The task we were given take it in August in La Rochelle and bring it to Antigua boat show on 4th December at the dock. This because he made a deal with FP that this is presented at the boat show for FP and he got a big discount. Well the 4 crew where then confronted with the decision to choose a skipper among us 4 never met before or skip everything and leave the boat there.
One of the crew was his best friend that didn't wanna take the responsibility because he didn't know us well enough so after checking the cat technically and some test sailing i volunteered as Co-Skipper and another person with more experience and owner of an RYA sailing school took the skipper. Not paid positions , just expenses. Just on the way we found out from his friend what he planed to do.
We all became good friends but owner and his friend are not besties anymore because of a lot things that happened after we delivered it successfully and on time. and that trip was actually the final decision for me to execute and sell everything and move aboard a boat 100%.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 06:35   #54

Quote:
You have luck that i have a high tolerance like others here in the thread too... If i report that you would get banned.

Why did i contribute?
I crewed via crewseekers to get experience with cats as i planned to circumnavigate and be liveaboard. The owner should be the skipper but then short-term wasn't even on board. The task we were given take it in August in La Rochelle and bring it to Antigua boat show on 4th December at the dock. Well the 4 crew where then confronted with the decision to choose a skipper among us 4 never met before or skip everything and leave the boat there.
One of the crew was his best friend that didn't wanna take the responsibility because he didn't know us well enough so after checking the cat technically and some test sailing i volunteered as Co-Skipper and another person with more experience and owner of an RYA sailing school took the skipper. Not paid positions , just expenses. Just on the way we found out from his friend what he planed to do.
We all became good friends but owner and his friend are not besties anymore because of a lot things that happened after we delivered it successfully and on time. and that trip was actually the final decision for me to execute and sell everything and move aboard a boat 100%.
This is what yiu said to me:

for an owner exactly like you…noobie and combine leisure with easy skipper life and thinking people spend 5-10k are super chilled any easy to handle….he went broke in 8 month and needed a psychiatrist afterwards.

So how you think your post is less insulting than mine? I would say yours is much more insulting than mine. & yours was the initial.

Please report mine & let the mods sort it out if you're so inclined.
Old 23-01-2022, 06:40   #55
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Very experienced sailors and delivery captains are giving you tons of advise 4 free and you neglect everything that you don't wanna hear and even attack them verbally. Already the way you are discussing here disqualifys you to be that charter captain. As many said work 1-2 season for the charters and then you change as person or run away from your idea/dream.

Why did i contribute?
I crewed via crewseekers to get experience with cats as i planned to circumnavigate and be liveaboard. The owner should be the skipper but then short-term wasn't even on board. The task we were given take it in August in La Rochelle and bring it to Antigua boat show on 4th December at the dock. This because he made a deal with FP that this is presented at the boat show for FP and he got a big discount. Well the 4 crew where then confronted with the decision to choose a skipper among us 4 never met before or skip everything and leave the boat there.
You have to remember your talking to someone who thinks the 6 pack taken on a river qualifies him to cross oceans and skipper a charter yacht with up to 8 passengers plus crew.
His current threads say a lot..
Maybe just tell him all is possible if one has faith.. just keep us updated.

Old 23-01-2022, 06:48   #56
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I say St Martin in the Caribe and you come back with a charter in the Maldives..
Think you should study geography and navigation some more.. there's around 10,000 miles between the two..

Old 23-01-2022, 06:51   #57

Man feel like getting attacked left n right on here. Then when i keyboard defend myself I get accused of attacking them. Smh
Old 23-01-2022, 06:52   #58

Quote:
I say St Martin in the Caribe and you come back with a charter in the Maldives..
Think you should study geography and navigation some more.. there's around 10,000 miles between the two..
I needed to log some extra boat time ha
Old 23-01-2022, 07:02   #59

<<<<<self banning for a couple months.
Old 23-01-2022, 07:39   #60

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

What I posted was NOT about YOU..It was about the business..I tried to state the simple fact that in my experience, the charter business is extremely difficult to enter and that failures and legal actions are very, very common.
The probability of making money is extremely low. The risks are extremely high.
You posted about the high profit / low investment potential.
I have the knowledge, experience, licenses, a debt free beautiful and all oceans capable vessel and three attorneys in the family.
I don’t charter. Period. Not worth the risks.
You can set all the goals you wish but once you get there, you might see things differently. Johnny Carson used to rib Ed McMahon about just being happy at anchor. For some people, sailing is quite distinct from making money. I’m happy with the antics of my manatee crew, all their pizza bazooka nonsense included.
The posters are trying to give you the benefit of their experience. That’s all.
Happy trails to you. It’s how we sign off always and we mean just that.
Captain Mark and his manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cabin, head