Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2012, 10:42   #1

Boat: Oday 23
Boca Rica NAS Marina Visit

Just a short note to share some info. The wife and I made our annual jaunt to Key West this month. Being a few years from retirement, we are looking for our future sailing "home-base". Reading many positive things, we made it a point to stop at the Marina on the Boca Rica Naval Air Station. It definitely sits on the top or prospective locations. We had an opportunity to chat with some of the live-aboard folks and asked thier opinion. All positive! They were all very friendly and helpful. Great slip and ball rates, a bit off the beaten path being on the station proper, but still quite close to town etc. Great facility, very clean and well-maintained. AND CLEAN did I say that? We spoke with the Harbor Master and he was very informative and pleasant (also a live-aboard). I think they have 90 available slips, looked to be about 15 mooring balls at $150 per month. Average slip rate was approx $280 per month (boat size dependant of course). Unfortunately for many, it's restricted to military active duty, retired. (Unsure of the guard and reserve requirements). There is an approx 2 year waiting list... They do have transient slips for approx .85 per foot per day. But if you get a chance to visit or use this location you shouldn't be disappointed.
Conair1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 11:17   #2

Boat: Ohlson 38
Re: Boca Rica NAS Marina Visit

Thanks for the tip

I've been eyeballing this marina as a possible future stop, but I didn't know it had such a long waiting list.

Haven't had much luck finding a suitable MWR marina in the Chesapeake/Potomac area.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 11:31   #3

Well, please reach out to them to verify what I've posted. I'd hate to jepordize anyone's plans with poor information. The waiting list time was an average as we were told by others. Slips are assigned by size (beam and length), so maybe there's a chance to get in earlier depending on your personal boat and what size becomes open first. But once again, a very clean and happy place....

MWR marina on Tyndall AFB may be an option. 325th Force Support Squadron - Tyndall AFB, FL)

The wife and I wanted to also check out Indiantown Marina and other locations on the Okeechobee since it's accessable through the canal but ran out of time this trip. Good luck.
Old 22-05-2012, 13:05   #4

Boat: Ohlson 38

If you get a chance to cross Florida on the canal do it! Leslie and I loved Indian Town!

We didn't actually stay in the marina but anchored in the canal on Thanksgiving Day, along with a half dozen other boats. What a wonderful surprise to find the marina hosting an all you can eat BBQ at no charge! Beer and wine included!

When we inquired as to fees for docking our dinghy, use of the laundry and showers, we were told that since we planned to stay for only a few days there would be no charge for any of it! How much better can it get than that?

Indiantown itself from what we saw of it was quaint but seemed to have a lot of poverty. We had a little trouble finding anyone who spoke english but everyone we met was friendly. Lots of small stores, fast food type rest, laundromat etc. Hotter than blazes though!

We enjoyed LaBelle too. Free city dock and great coffee house one block from dock!
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 05:12   #5

Boat: Pearson 367 Cutter

Hey Virginia Boy, Have you checked out Pax River?
hooligan6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:58   #6

To correct myself. It's "Boca Chica" not Boca Rica. Geez, must have been a bad day...

I also have the Dockmaster info:
Barry Meekin
Boca Chica Marina
Office: (305) 293.2402
Cell: 797.3158
email: barry.meekin@navy.mil
PO Box 9027
NAS Key West FL, 33040