Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2019, 09:54   #1

Boat: Pearson 31
Boom shives

Hi, I知 replacing the shives on my Pearson 31 boom. I値l be drilling out the rivets on each end and seeing what my next step will be. So does anyone have any experience suggestions or warnings?
I知 thinking there is a shive in the center of the boom. Does this slide out? There is no access hole in center of boom.
The reason I知 replacing the shives is because the reefing lines would jamb up this past summer.
Thanks Tom
Tomrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 10:28   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Boom shives

Reefing lines should not jam up inside the boom because of a sheave there; there would be no reason for a sheave in the boom for reefing lines. The outhaul might lead through a tackle inside the boom, and the reefing lines might get tangled with that or with each other. Are the sheaves broken? You may simply need to re-lead the lines so they’re not fouled. If you drill out the rivets, watch out for the pins that the sheaves turn on. They may have bearings and be expensive to replace if lost.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 10:32   #3

I'm not sure the setup. Some booms have sheaves in the aft end for internal clew reefing lines and then internal sheaves at the forward end also. Plus jammers sometimes. Is that what you have? If so they should have one big pin... not rivets...? Or do you mean the rivets holding the end fittings in the boom?
More info...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 10:39   #4

Yes rivets holding the end fittings
Old 27-12-2019, 10:52   #5

OK. Well be prepared to find some corrosion between the fittings and the boom itself. Hopefully it wont be too bad. You also may have a tough time getting the end fittings out due to corrosion.
-I would clean it all up, make sure the sheaves turn well.
-You may never get the pins holding the sheaves out, hard to say.
-When re riveting, coat all fasteners with lanolin or another corrosion barrier.
-If the holes are too buggered up you can redrill bigger and rivet or tap threads and use machine screws.

Good luck!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 05:07   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	425.6 KB
ID:	205755

Hi, I tried to attach a picture, not sure if you can open?
I guess my question is do I need to remove the tack and clew ends of the boom in order to replace the shives?
Old 28-12-2019, 15:05   #7

Boat: Sabre 402

Are the sheaves not turning, or are the lines jamming? If the sheaves are turning, leave them alone and fix the misled lines. It looks like you have an Isomat mast with the “old style” fittings, according to Rig-Rite. If you do need to take the sheaves out, this guy seems to have worked out how to go about it:https://www.foghornlullaby.com/2019/...king-it-apart/
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 05:36   #8

Thank you, exactly what I was looking for. Great link too.
Old 31-12-2019, 05:55   #9

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

The picture is a very common Isomat boom end and cast fitting (condition looks really good). You can drill out the pop rivets to get good access or try to look through the lower hole.

A common set up was to have a shuttle block in the reefing line (never could understand why). Dig around you can find a diagram. Those shuttle blocks never turned freely so a number of years back, I just discarded mine and changed to single line reefing setup. Had to replace the fwd axel with a thru bolt to handle upward loads but really works better IMO.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote