Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2016, 16:21   #1

boom vangs

hello - new on here... We have a 1969 Bristol 29, which we bought in 2005. Have done lots of upgrades and this spring will add Edson steering.. wondering about boom vangs - anyone out there who can give us some advice on this? Thanks Tom (aka Windchaser69)
windchaser69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 17:03   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: boom vangs

We have a rigid vang that we like because it holds the boom up without a topping lift. Tackle vangs that aren't led to the mast below the gooseneck are a hassle to re-rig every time you (or the wind) adjust the sail. Having a vang helps keep the boat from yawing around so much going downwind so you end up going more smoothly and quickly in the direction you want to go.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 11:56   #3

Boat: Vagabond 14

Home-rigging a vang on a vagabond 14 right now...
$2 to $3 pulleys from Home Depot for the blocks and lots of paracord.
Nope, not stainless, but if it works I can get better hardware later. Cheap experiment.

4 pulleys so in theory 16 to 1, but the way I have it rigged so far I'll have to check on that.

The OEM downhaul is just a foot or so of paracord that goes through a hole and V notch fitting on the mast. Can't get the luff tight with that without being a 400 lb gorilla.

I'm adding fittings right on the foot of the mast to clip on the vang as low as possible.

I'm also working so when I discionnect from the mast it will be one clip-on and I can pull the Vang tight to the boom for trailering without tangling.

2 pulleys in the direct down-haul for the gooseneck then 2 more working at pulling down at the mid-boom main sheet pulley bracket.

There isn't a winch on my boat anywhere... so I have to use arm-strong power or multiply force with block and tackle systems.

I don't mind having the boom lift lines. They don't get in the way of the sail and help lift it into place connecting to the mast and hold the boom for raising the sail.
Just appx 45 ft of paracord from gooseneck, over a mast-top block and back to the aft end of the boom with a light dog-leash style swivel clip on each end.
Since this is a trailer-sailer, it gets the mast stepped and boom lifted every trip to the water.

Larger boats, kept in slips and rigged all the time and with winches to draw the sail tight from the top (+ a Cunningham... which I can't rig on mine due to the way the sail connects to boom and mast) maybe the fixed rod type vang will be good.

Mainly pointing out that how the sail connects to the mast and boom plus how the gooseneck connects will affect what rigging choices you can make.

From the last time I had the boat out (using just 2 pulleys to multiply the downhaul) I NEED more pull down at the aft end of the boom. less than 5 mph winds and the boom was lifting.
Thinking about adding 2 more blocks and multiplying the pull on the main sheet to the aft bridle style traveler.

Maybe this new vang rig will help with that too...

Next is the preventers...
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 15:02   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I'd be interested in seeing how you can configure 4 pulleys to get more than 8:1 purchase
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boom vang