Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2020, 12:52   #1

Boot Dusseldorf suggestions

The wife and I are headed over to Dusseldorf for a long weekend to go to the boat show. Has anyone here been before and have recommendations of where to stay? Our plan is to arrive Saturday morning, grab a quick power nap then head to the show for a bit Saturday to get the lay of the land, then spend all day Sunday there hitting the manufacturer's we are really interested in.

If there are any cool local spots that are must see's as well that would be great to hear about.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 14:17   #2

Re: Boot Dusseldorf suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
If there are any cool local spots that are must see's
Depends on your age...

If your are no longer twenty, I'd recommend a stroll in the old city followed by a couple (mugs are small) of 'Altbier' (old beer) and 'Haxe' (crispy roasted pork shank) in the https://fuechschen.de/?lang=en. There are other similar places in that area, e.g.https://www.translatetheweb.com/?ref...top-10.998650#.
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:32   #3

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

While it has been a long time since we went to Boot, you're going to wish you had more than one day to really look around. I think we spent three days(almost) just poking around and having fun.

Have a great time there!
Old 08-01-2020, 04:41   #4

Quote:
Has anyone here been before and have recommendations of where to stay?
Where to stay? Do you mean you are yet to book accommodation? We were considering going and had a look back in September and it was already slim pickings and much higher prices than non-show weekends! I think with show tickets you do get free metropolitan transport so that's something if you need to stay further out from either the centre or the convention centre.
bellasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:44   #5

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

That was my first date with a German nurse who I married. Great show with lots to see. Not so great relationship as she's now the ex.

Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:08   #6

Boat: Hanse 531

We used airbnb and trivago for hotels. Ended up in Gildors Hotel Atmosphère. (https://www.booking.com/hotel/de/gildors.en-gb.html)

It wasn't at all easy, though

Re "what to do" we were first thinking we'd find something else than the show. That wasn't very easy either, so we might just use our time to check the show and eat out in random restaurants.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:09   #7

Thanks for the comments, we definitely are not 20 anymore! We fly for free on standby so when we book accommodations we always wait until the plane is practically pushing back from the gate to book a place lol. Yes we end up paying more sometimes, but lots of times we get incredible deals booking last minute spots that would sit empty otherwise.

Since we have tons of options to Europe out of our home airport (DTW) we sit back and decide how we are getting there by which route will have us sitting in first class, pretty awesome perk! Definitely not for the faint of heart, but we love it and have totally flexible schedules.

I have a weakness for German beer(in Germany without the preservatives) and good schnitzel, thankfully the wife speaks German as well so we will try and find out where the locals go once we get there.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:17   #8

Quote:
I have a weakness for German beer(in Germany without the preservatives) and good schnitzel, thankfully the wife speaks German as well so we will try and find out where the locals go once we get there.
These two places are also nice: Schiffchen (https://www.brauerei-zum-schiffchen.de/en/) and, iirc, Uerige (https://www.uerige.de/en/index.html). If you like mustard then the Löwensenf shop (https://www.loewensenf.de/de/loewenw...rfer-Senfladen) is great (there is another (more?) famous/classical one but I forgot the name). If you pass at 'Et Kabüffke' then better don't pass by but stop for a 'healthy' Killepitsch (liqueur).

As a poster mentioned, one day is quite short for the BOOT; it's a huge fair and if you have time, you can easily spend two or three days (boat shopping... )
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote