Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 15:36   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: "Bucket List"

Thanks for clarifying. To bad we don't have a tongue in cheek icon

I've often thought my last act would be to sail away into the sunset, after easing my families mind about my actions. My father died recently of ALS. He lived a full life and died without regrets but his last couple years he was in a full care facility. It worked for him but it's not where I want to end my days. I do my best to keep my mind and body well but when they start to go I think it will be time to simplify the choices anyone else has to make for me. Goodbye will do.

That's what I say now.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 16:16   #17

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I can assure you that despite knowing I will die someday I don't include stealing money on any of my lists. Knowing the time frame for my death was in someway shortened wouldn't change that.
I've been thinking on the same lines myself lately. I'm off work now for going on the 7th month while the chancre mechanics try to figure out whats wrong with me. I've had the feeling for the last 10 years that I wouldn't make it past 65 anyway.

As for sticking it to the banks? I'm in. Looking at what those (expletive deleted) have done to the worlds' financial system, robbing people of their homes using bogus foreclosure processes, and nary a one of them spends any time in jail. Steal a few million and pay $100k in fines because you own the system? Sure I'm all for sticking it to them. As much as is humanly possible.

I expect I'll be returning to work, hopefully long enough to pay for the mods to Sabre Dance, and then I'm on my way. I expect I'll do it with my money but if not, well, then theirs is just as good.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 16:23   #18

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. To bad we don't have a tongue in cheek icon

I've often thought my last act would be to sail away into the sunset, after easing my families mind about my actions. My father died recently of ALS. He lived a full life and died without regrets but his last couple years he was in a full care facility. It worked for him but it's not where I want to end my days. I do my best to keep my mind and body well but when they start to go I think it will be time to simplify the choices anyone else has to make for me. Goodbye will do.

That's what I say now.
Yea,

I say stuff now but who knows really.

Seems to me that the longer you live the longer you want to live. Maybe I haven't lived (for myself) enough?

Plus - http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...aja-57430.html
Old 05-04-2011, 16:37   #19

Pagan: "May ye be thirty days in Heaven before the Devil knows ye have passed"
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 17:16   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
As for sticking it to the banks? I'm in. Looking at what those (expletive deleted) have done to the worlds' financial system, robbing people of their homes using bogus foreclosure processes, and nary a one of them spends any time in jail. Steal a few million and pay $100k in fines because you own the system? Sure I'm all for sticking it to them. As much as is humanly possible.

Sabre
If you feel good telling yourself that but the truth is you're sticking it to the people who pay higher interest on their loans to cover the loss and to the shareholders who see a drop in the value of their stocks and the young people who can't get a loan when they need it. Taking out loans that you don't intend to repay doesn't qualify as sticking it to the some anonymous bad banker guy anywhere but in the most ill thought out fantasy.

Old 05-04-2011, 17:23   #21

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

I don’t have a bucket list but for some years I have really enjoyed visiting Unesco World Heritage listed sites World Heritage Centre - World Heritage List . So far I’ve visited WH listed sites in US, Canada, Malaysia, Oz, New Zealand, Great Britain, Scotland, Germany, Netherlands. I’ll bet many cruisers have been to many more places than me - you tend to visit places without realising they were listed.

So one thing I have as a quiet desire (rather than full blown life objective) is to visit as many WH listed sites across the world – most (not all ) are outstanding places to visit.
kjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 17:41   #22

Quote:
If you feel good telling yourself that but the truth is you're sticking it to the people who pay higher interest on their loans to cover the loss and to the shareholders who see a drop in the value of their stocks and the young people who can't get a loan when they need it. Taking out loans that you don't intend to repay doesn't qualify as sticking it to the some anonymous bad banker guy anywhere but in the most ill thought out fantasy.
I've been pondering this since the original post. BUT you nailed it. Thanks

Mark Twain
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 17:56   #23

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant

It's amazing how people will open up to total strangers about such intimate feelings and situations. My wife was diagnosed w a terrible illness in 2009 and I feared losing her quickly...but we truley enjoy life, it's been 2+ years. We travel to C.A. yearly, vacation in Mexico and go on weeklong sail trips and continue to plan more.
Live your life, put others ahead of yourself, having a giving attitude and be happy knowing whats really important....Love never fails.
And if I find your boat floating empty somewhere in the future, I'll donate it to those I know will really appreciate helping others.

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 18:13   #24

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

There is no shortage of evil in this world and likewise no shortage of evil people. Be they bankers, lawyers or politicians, etc. one can sympathize with the feeling of wanting some "revenge" towards them. Unfortunately, as others have posted you cannot really "get" to the bad guys but instead end up hurting other good people.
- - Another amazing revelation after being handed your lease termination notice, is that "revenge" also drops to the bottom of your priority list for whatever time you have left. Maybe it is selfish, but wasting precious time trying to "get back" at somebody or institution does not seem like a good use of your time.
- - There are too many authentic nice and happy things on your "bucket list" you want to get to so that wasting time on revenge or retribution does not seem important. And the stress and aggravation involved might just move that termination date closer to now.
- - But it is hard to give up a lifetime of being "pissed off" at this or that. Again this is where the fulltime cruising lifestyle comes to the rescue - "they" can't get to you very easily if you are off somewhere anchored in an idyllic little cove on an uninhabited island full of palm trees and a sky full of stars at night.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 00:53   #25

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

I've read through this list and find the points of view fascinating.

While I'm sympathetic to the moral standards and nobility of those wanting to do the 'right thing', in particular leaving a neat and tidy estate for family to deal with, I also find it very amusing, and accept that I may well be keel hauled for my point of view.

Pagan, just go for it.

Why not? You're a pagan after all, so with no after life, you won't be held accountable. Also, your own particular morality need not be based on the judeo-christian ethic that is the backbone of our culture.

Enjoy playing your final hand and you're entitled to feel smug about it being a winning one.
If you have a conscience, get rid of it. You can't take it with you, and it's only there because of indoctrination and society's brainwashing anyway.

A couple of points to ease that conscience if you're having trouble dumping it...

* You probably won't be able to get the finance without insuring the boat anyway, unless you have other assets the banks have access to and you're using a line of credit.
So, the insurance company is going to cop the loss. THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH THAT. THEY'RE COUNTING ON IT!
They look at the big picture, and claims are just a cost of doing business.
If there were no claims, how long do you think they would stay in business? They NEED claims, or they quickly become irrelevant. You are doing them a favour, and all of us too, because it keeps them in business so we can get insurance.

Besides, the world needs colourful characters, and we all love a scoundrel.
You give us something to talk about at pubs and BBQs. We talk endlessly about the Robin Hoods and Fletcher Christians. When was the last time you had a conversation about mother Teresa that lasted more than 30 seconds?

* While I appreciate your grand gesture in giving me your boat if I find it, and I would accept it in the spirit you intended, hell, I'd drink to you for a week... but the truth is, I'd have claimed it anyway... salvage rights and all that. But I do promise that I'd endeavour to continue to live with the same degree of cavalier flamboyance you did, in your memory!

So, go get 'em Tiger...

PS. And this is my serious face... my very best wishes to you and the other members posting here who are facing a challenging prognosis. I don't have the words, just the empathy.

PPS. Have you taken a look at the Swan 75 catalogue lately?????

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:32   #26
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
PPS. Have you taken a look at the Swan 75 catalogue lately?????
Just take it out for a test sail. and if that involves dropping a broker over the side - well, call it your contribution to making the world a better place
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:03   #27
cruiser

trump says "bankruptcy is just a tool we use"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
Just to put some of your minds at rest, the part about "borrowing as much as I can" is a tongue in cheek comment as I have my boat bought and paid for (not flash but suitable) but that seemed a bit boring. However the part re the note left with me in the boat is true.

I have spent my life working hard, been lucky never to have been unemployed until illness forced the issue, looked after and helped people as a police officer, psychotherapist and teacher and like you guys say, theft is anathema to me, which is probably why I have only got a "suitable" boat.

I have not yet been given the dreadful but you don't always need to be told, so i am now making preparations, getting things in order etc, so I can set sail with no regrets, not that I have any having lived a very full life.

But that's just me the post asked what your "bucket List" is.
sorry to hear of your illness,,im not a trump who can afford to bankrupt a corp. or two to pay off my first wife and then go on tv defending myself after rosie odonnel tells america on a talk-show,,as trump says on tv "bankruptcy is a tool us businessmen use",,personally i would not fault you one iotta bro if you boorow as much as you can and go fulfill your "bucket list",,just dont rob the man?/women on the street but doing the bank with a pen by racking your credit cards/line of credit etc is open season,,it infuriates me that im the sucker who keeps paying the interest while the madoffs/trumps of this society get rich by borrowing and never repaying,,and if you do this bro make sure you declare bankruptcy as well from outside usa just to make it a done deal with no comebacks,,i laugh that madoff"s son commits suicide cause he cant get a job on wall street even after changing his name..what a wimp,,who needs a job when your robber dad has allready given you 50 or so million,,at least his old man aint afraid to push reporters around on the street on go to the big house,,and to think he could have abscounded to venezuala or brazil or some country free of extradition,,what a fall-guy for the family,,wish i had a dad like that and id keep him in more than cigars while in prison,,geez bro dont listen to rednecks here and go borrow and fill your bucket list,,im the sucker stuck in this rat race learning "to love to hate",cheers
pullord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:29   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Just take it out for a test sail. and if that involves dropping a broker over the side - well, call it your contribution to making the world a better place
type in "number of us banks being bailed out" and you will be surprised just how many are still going under from 2008,,dont believe the lies about 19% saving the banks as it was all the 4-8% loans that nailed their greedy ass when they mortgaged homes over the market value,,dont believe the hype as obama" s support for more war in libya is going to cost a fortune and the bailout of the banks{which should be left unsaved},, so that there is a true correction of value of the real estate market which is inevitable and warranted as the average consumer has been getting ripped -off long enough,,and now we are crying cause gas goes up 20 cents in one day in minnesota whereas europe has been getting ripped-off on gas for years allready,,the people truly got the govt. they deserved,,boycott driving gas/diesl cars and watch them fall fast,,ever wonder why bicycles are never advertised on tv but even in china buicks outsell usa as status symbals,,what status when you cry about cost of ownership?
pullord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:11   #29

People often take life for granted. They take for granted they will live til they get at lest 75-85 years old. Everybody should be glad for the life they have.

What I wanna say is that life can end sooner than you think, so why wait all your life til pension before doing all fun you really wanna do.

I'm only 29 years old. At the age of 25-27 I purchased a sailboat in Panama. 14 months later I had crossed the pacific and sold her in Auatralia. Now I'm running a small business but I have a strong longing for get back to cruising. I just want to be happy and to fulfill my dreams. At the moment I think I will be out there cruising again in a not to long future.
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:19   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Let's stay on topic folks or the thread will be closed. The OP has explained his comments on money were tongue in cheek and his real questions was:

Do you have a bucket list and if so what is on it?