Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 12:15   #1

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic - Heads Up
Send a message via Yahoo to CaptHead
Bulwagga Anchors

I read on a web page a guy had about the Sea of Cortez and he owns 17 boats he charters, most of which are sailboats and a few power. He said he has been there 17 years when I read that report and watched boats pull anchor in the chubasco's that blow in the summer. He tried all anchors and found the Bulwagga to be one of his favorites and outfits his boats with them feeling secure that they will come back undamaged.

It is a pretty ugly anchor. Does anybody have experience with this anchor? He likes another one and I can't remember the name. Also, his web page is no longer working.
1966 Grand Banks 42 Hull #17
Twin Ford Lehman Diesels
Sterling LP over Epoxy
Life is Great, Skip the Beach
CaptHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 14:18   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I can't wait to read what GMAC knows about this anchor. Persoanlly I like what I see. Even as ugly as it is. Just thinking of it sitting on the bow roller is awful, but looks like it would dig in quick!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 15:24   #3

Boat: 'Wiwaxy'- steel Mason 35PH
Bulwagga anchor experience

We have used a Bulwagga 27 lb on our 35' steel pilothouse sloop for the last four years on the US East Coast and in the Bahamas. The only time it ever dragged was in a 50kn squall and in a bottom of slurry mud...then only a slow drag. We have sat 48 hours in an exposed anchorage (not our choice by any means) with 4 foot swells (sand bottom) and the anchor gave us not a moment of concern. We have 100' of BBB chain before we get to the 5/16" nylon rode so most of the time we are anchored on all chain. Our friends have a Bulwagga on their Catalina 34 and have experienced the same level of success that we have. The anchor on our new boat (if it fits on the bowsprit)...a Bulwagga!
Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 16:12   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
The Bulwagga anchor. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Attached Images

Old 19-07-2008, 17:23   #5

Boat: 'Wiwaxy'- steel Mason 35PH
Bulwagga

Looks doesn't even enter the equation when it comes to anchors, Hud. It's all about holding and safety of your boat. The Bulwagga has met our requirements on both counts.
Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 18:12   #6

Boat: Dufour Arpege 30
I've had the Bulwaga for 5 years and and it has worked extremely well. It sets quickly and holds well. The only time I've had problems is if the bottom is coarse and loose, small stones for example. You sometimes have to drag it across the bottom a good ways to get it to set in those circumstances. It works better than anything else I've use in any soft bottom.
Zephyr's Aura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 01:26   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to geneWj
I've searched high and low for a Bulwagga and cannot find one either 17# or 22# If U know of any contact me at genotworivers@yahoo.com
Old 21-01-2010, 11:47   #8

Bulwaga

There is a guy on one of the sailing boards, who's screen name is Franklin, who rode out Gustav or Ike or both, in Galveston Bay with a Bulwaga. He swears by them. My only remark other than that, is they look to me like they would have the same problems that a Danforth style anchor would have in heavy grass, and not want to dig in and set.
Nice N Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 18:20   #9

Bulwagga Anchor.

Well, too each his own! If i could find a Bulwagga in the 17# or 22# I'd buy it in a heart beat!
geneWj
Old 21-01-2010, 18:52   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneWj View Post
Well, too each his own! If i could find a Bulwagga in the 17# or 22# I'd buy it in a heart beat!
geneWj
Here ya go!

Bulwagga Anchors
Old 21-01-2010, 19:05   #11

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Way Cool!! Another anchor thread and I can play, well, sorta.

I've got a 45# Bulwagga but have never used it as it's my secondary. I was attracted to it because it's NOT like a Danforth on the negatives but is like one on the positive side.

Similar attributes are good holding and large fluke area.
But, since the flukes are angled to one another, they are forced to point down (at least 2) and are much less likely to 'skate' on the bottom, even in grass.

Also, even if it does break out, it necessarily must reset pretty easily as the geometry takes over quickly.

Down side, besides 'beauty' is stowage and that 3rd fluke can assault an anchor line so use plenty of chain on it so the line has less likelihood of chafing on it. I learned (after killing several expensive fenders) to put a slit hose over the up facing fluke while stowed in a locker. :-(
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 05:32   #12

Well, thanks for Nuttin!
I've called them and the old Bulwagga factory. NOT IN PRODUCTION ANY LONGER, none available.
Do U honestly think with my sailing experience and background that I'd post anywhere if I could find one. I've traced down ALL the former sources for the anchor.
geneWj 65 yrs of actual sailing experience under my belt! 2 circumnavigations too!.
Old 22-01-2010, 06:38   #13

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneWj View Post
Well, thanks for Nuttin!
I've called them and the old Bulwagga factory. NOT IN PRODUCTION ANY LONGER, none available.
Do U honestly think with my sailing experience and background that I'd post anywhere if I could find one. I've traced down ALL the former sources for the anchor.
geneWj 65 yrs of actual sailing experience under my belt! 2 circumnavigations too!.
Sorry gene! Ya want me to make ya one?

Tags
anchor, bulwagga