Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: bumfuzzle pretty cool or not my cup of tea
its a great read and i enjoy it 49 49.00%
theyre having fun who really cares 37 37.00%
i just dont appreciate them 14 14.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2006, 23:24   #31

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Had a few votes and a couple of posts under it. Some of the guys above saw it.
Blowing 50,000 bastards here at the moment.
Old 29-11-2006, 00:08   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Yep tracked the issue. Yes you are right, it did exist. What happend was that the two threads were trying to be merged so as the topic remained in one thread. But something glitched. It didn't like the fact that two polls were in the one thread for some reason and it deleted one of them. Unfortunatly it was yours Darryl.

But hey folks, (and this is to everyone not just you Darryl) I would really, no actually the "team" would really appreciate this topic being dropped. It is serving no purpose than to spark heated debate about nothing. It has no winners, just opinions and depending on what light you look at them in, both views are right and wrong. IMO we are serving no good for this Forum if we keep this subject going. So please can we drop it.

Oh and yeah, blowing again here to mate. I know it is that time of the year, but I am sure we haven't had such constant winds with such high strengths like this before. I can't get any thing done outside on the boat and Christmas is coming a little...err...no a lot too fast.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Old 29-11-2006, 00:48   #33

Boat: now floating easy37
hmm thinks.... darn cant think of a comeback for seafox yet, but ill work on it with that elevated newzealand(A.I.)australian intelligence i spoke of earlier
sean
Old 29-11-2006, 08:57   #34

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Wheels, while I did vote and voice an opinion in this matter, you are absolutely correct. There are no winners in this and it only breeds contempt and angry debate. For whatever my opinion imight be worth.
Old 29-11-2006, 09:18   #35
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Mike
Wheels, while I did vote and voice an opinion in this matter, you are absolutely correct. There are no winners in this and it only breeds contempt and angry debate. For whatever my opinion imight be worth.
Hmmm. I wonder why that is. The Bums in many ways are an inspiration. Why are they an inspiration? Is it because they like McDonalds? Pizza? Rental cars? Hotels? Is it because they don't love sailing? Is it because they call 20 knots "crap weather?"

Nope. It is because they are "just doing it." It really doesn't matter what "it" is. Fill in the blank with your own "it." They have done what few on this list will ever do, despite their dreaming about doing it.

They packed it all up, freed their dock lines and set off into the wild blue yonder.

Are the bums an appropriate topic for this website? How could they not be? There is a great deal to be learned from reading about their marvelous adventures.

I admire and envy them. Not envy in a hostile, evil way, but rather I wish I was in a place where I could do what they are doing, but in my own way. The freedom that the sailing lifestyle offers is the freedom to do it in your own way. They don't play loud music in crowded anchorages. They don't drag on their anchor into other boats. In fact, they seem like very courteous sailors.

So why all the controversy? Well it seems, from these poll results, that it comes from a very small minority. And that small minority shouldn't ruin it for everyone else.

I know I follow the bums. I have turned many on to their site, and those people follow them also - even non sailors.

Bravo to Pat and Ali.
Old 29-11-2006, 10:44   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The story of the Bums maybe fine for this website. The arguments that have become more than just opinions of "left vs right" is what is detrimental to this site.
For instance, your post directly above jzk, although valid in your way of thinking, leaves me with feeling a little insulted. Did you intend to insult me??? I would like to think not. But due to the fact that tone and intention can not easily be portrayed in words. It is one reason why we often use the simlies just to help with a picture what we maybe trying to portray. So your post will enevitably attract another negative reply. The reply maybe directed at your comments, but a reader now coming in, reads it and then aligns it to the Bumfuzzle discusion and we have another join in posting a scathing attack on what some people have said and off it all goes again.
The actual discussion of the fuzzles ended not much long after it began. There was some very good responses in the thread that we as Admin suggested it was all worth keeping for. I am not so sure it was a good decision in hind site as we go no further than simply round in circles on this subject now and it is taking us no where on what I think could be some great discussions.

This is what I propose. We all stop with the Fuzzle subject!!. (Hold on before you protest and read on.) Many topics, Pizza and McD's for instance, make some good discussion. Not for the food par'say, but the fact that there are many different cruisers out there. Some cruise the world to see the sights and meet the cultures. Some cruise to find the warmer climates, some crusie to experiance the sea. Who has the wrong motive??? None. it is just that each of us is different. I would rather see a thread started on opinions of how people would cruise. Would you get involved with a culture, or would you go for McD's or would you find a sunny beach and chill out and so on. That's what this board is about and here for.

So can we please drop this volunaterrily and would someone like to start a thread in some relation to what I just suggested??

Old 29-11-2006, 11:08   #37

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Sorry Alan, but this is too much fun
Guys, I had never heard of these people till this thread, I went to their blog and read a couple of pages, but was too bored to read all of it . So what , specifically, are they doing that is so wrong? Errors of seamanship?
Old 29-11-2006, 11:32   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There is no "wrong" in what they are doing. "right and wrong" in sailing comes down to opinion. There is "better", there is "eaiser" there is "safer" adn most importantly, there is "prepared" but I don't think their is a clear "wrong". If something does go wrong, it is probably more an "unfortunate". Because people that do it all right can still have it go all wrong.
Yep I made a couple of comments in the early days. One regarding their MOB pole being painted grey, in my opinion could be rather a silly idea, but hey, just my opinion. and the other, which become more contiversial was an opinion that I thought it was sad that these two were spending so much energy and money on such a whirlwind tour of the world. They have never seen 99% of the sights to be had out there. So my mistake was to suggest that it was like them going round and round their harbour till they clocked up the same sea miles. Oopps, that didn't go down well with Pat. But once again, that was my opinion And they are seeing the world how they want to and for there own reasons, in a way they want to. Who am I to judge that. But it could have all gone quite way back then. However, Pat made some flaming type comments on other forums and on his website and we started to get the odd poster that would dredge this up, flame and then never be seen again. Then after all that history has gone intot the depths, we get the regulars here that have no idea of the context that many of the comments way back then were made. And so the comments have been taken out of proportion and context and we end up with the comments we get in the recent days.
Personly, I think the thread series should be locked off. It was voted on by the "team" that there was too much valuable info in it to simply delete the whole thing. But I am not sure it is worth the hassles it presents adn seems to surface every few months. And I find it frustrating as it divides the board, causes a "tone" that will hinder more nervouse newbies from participating here and in the end gets us totaly no where but back around that circle.

Old 29-11-2006, 12:41   #39

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Wheels,

This is out of control, in no way was I intending to insult you or anybody else for that matter, read my posts I respect all and their opinions. My point was that yes I did participate in the survey, and yes I do like Bumfuzzles and their posts and yes I wish I was able to leave now and do what they do. The subject is controversial to say the least. And maybe, just maybe this is not the forum for this hotly debated issue, but who am I to decide. I for one will not enter this particular forum (Bumfuzzle) again.

Wheels, for whatever it is worth I am truely sorry if I insulted you in any way, it certainly was not meant that way.... I was only stating I agreed with you.
Old 29-11-2006, 12:45   #40
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Pat and Ali ...the movie

" ... This will rival Warren Miller's skiing movies. Who knows, they'll probably make enough to retire and leave the last laugh on all of us. ... "

Come on !!!
Warren features expert skiers, doing (& surviving) incredible things, with consummate skill.

The ‘Bums’ survive (what should be, to cruisers) doing mundane things, with incredible ineptitude.
Old 29-11-2006, 15:17   #41
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Now how is it that someone managed to edit my previous post? Is there an adminstrator who can explain this?

Rick in Florida
Old 29-11-2006, 15:35   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Admin/Mods will NEVER EVER play around with someones post. They will only delete it and send the poster an Email to explain why, IF it has breached the rules.
What has happend to your post Rick???

Mike, No you have not insulted me in anyway. Anything I say is aimed at the thread in general, not an individual in this thread. If I comment to an individual, I try to make it very clear whom I am adressing by using their name/handle. And if it a seriuose offense, we as the admin team will take that off board to a PM, so as we do not have a row "in front of everyone".
And remember, it isn't just this thread, it is the other bumfuzzle thread that this is related to that also is drawn into view. So my comments are being made in a holistic view of both threads.

Old 29-11-2006, 22:15   #43
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
Nope. It is because they are "just doing it." It really doesn't matter what "it" is. Fill in the blank with your own "it." They have done what few on this list will ever do, despite their dreaming about doing it.
Here we go again:

Some folks thinks the negative comments are because the Bums "are doing it".

The same has been said over and over again, yet it rings the same hollow bell: Nobody on this board thinks the Bums should "not be doing it" in my opinion.

Most, if not all of us wish that more folks, regardless of age would just cut the dock lines and go sailing towards the horizon.
What rubs my hairs the wrong way however is not that the Bums, or anybody else is "doing it", but rather that they keep squacking and holloring about their lack of knowledge and preparation as well as their lust for fast-food places and internet connections, and if they found neither it was a bad island or a bad country. Especially if the natives could not splice their lines,

So therefore jzk: It is not because they are "doing it",
(How many times do I have to explain the difference between an adventurous spirit and a spoiled city-brat spirit with too much money and not enough common sense?)

At any rate, let the Bums sail their own path: They choose to publish their log and some of us responded.

If young and inexerienced folks wants to chip in and state their opinion about the Bums being idols and hero's for doing it, despite the lack of sea-manship and common sense, so be it.
I prefer to run my boat and my future in a different direction than the Bums and I don't care what the amateurs think about it: Ya will never see my log or my blog on these or any other internet pages.

Again: My hat of the the Bums for sailing, but I wish they would keep their problems to themselfes and learn from it instead of publishing the BS on the net and feed the rookies and the wide-eyed internet landlubbers a story of how ya can be totally ignorant of the sea and get away with it: Happy-Go-Lucky seems to be the message.

Guess that was the reason I tuned out after the first few chapters: Not much to learn, not much adventure and lots of ignorant blabber.

Sorry, not my idols despite the fact they are "Doing It".
Old 29-11-2006, 22:37   #44

Boat: now floating easy37
oh yes and seafox i believe that i actually get up later than you as nz is closer to the dateline than aus
sean
Old 29-11-2006, 23:44   #45

Boat: Lotus 10.6
just checking to see if you still had some of that kiwi iQ......mind you....it took a while
Closed Thread