Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: bumfuzzle pretty cool or not my cup of tea
its a great read and i enjoy it 49 49.00%
theyre having fun who really cares 37 37.00%
i just dont appreciate them 14 14.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2006, 16:13   #76

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I have enjoyed reading about the adventures of Bumfuzzle and her intrepid crew. Sure, I would do things differently, but they have done something that most f us never have nor will, have suceeded in their dream and, insofar as I am aware, have not behaved in a manner that would particularly endanger themselves or others. Good luck to them, I say.
Old 21-12-2006, 16:25   #77

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67
I hear a lot of people saying that what these kids are doing is unsafe. What, in the mind of a more experienced sailor, could these people have done to make their trip safer and less foolhardy? Should they have pursued more sailing experience under the watchful eye of a more experienced skipper, or taken 6 $1,000+ classes. I myself, who am of little experience, would one day like to embark on a jouney like this; if not to circumnavigate then to at least own and live on a boat. What steps could these people have taken to avoid being foolhardy, or at least being called idiots?
Have a wade through the 435 odd post's here and you will probably get the answer to your question.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ight=bumfuzzle

I don't think I posted on this one, but I'd be wanting a bit more than a quick lap around the can's before setting off on a coastal hop, letalone a world trip.

Multi's can also be very unforgiving to the inexperience, but they seem to have come of relatively unscathed and good luck to them I say.

Dave
Old 21-12-2006, 20:20   #78
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37
Have read various threads on them in various forums. I admit I haven't read a fraction of them, and certainly won't read the pages and pages of argument here. I can take or leave their website. Whatever. There is more to life to worry about.

But it is a shame how many folks seem to wish they would die just to prove right their philosophy about what it takes to voyage under sail. In some forums it is rabid and ugly.
Old 21-12-2006, 20:49   #79

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Seriously, I feel like people are cannibalizing these poor kids.
Old 22-12-2006, 05:30   #80
cruiser

Yawn......
Old 22-12-2006, 06:06   #81

Stop it...........Stop it now.

New year's wish

NO BUMFUZZLE

Dave
Old 22-12-2006, 08:04   #82

Just wondering....

How old were the much revered Pardeys' when they set off?

Did they catch less grief because they were in a monohull?

Is the real problem you're having with the Bumms' is that they're young, AND in a (gasp) catamaran, and that they didn't seek the advice of all the wise old greybeards on this forum. Three unforgivable sins, WOW!

Only wish I was the one being being ridiculed. I'd be in good company.
Marc
Old 22-12-2006, 12:12   #83

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Aren't boatowners ridiculed all the time by the nonboatowners? The nonboatowners want to know why we have a hole in the water into which we keep throwing money.
Old 22-12-2006, 15:13   #84

Boat: now floating easy37
this was meant to be a poll only so that you could make your comment via a vote not slag off at one another, i like a few have read a lot of posts about these guys and i do think they have caught a bit of crap hence i posted the poll, if you have an opinion vote and then drop it.

verbal stoushing changes nobodies minds i mean really how many times do people suddenly go, gosh i see it now i was completely wrong, it just doesnt happen so leave it to the vote guys as it just gets antagonistic
Old 23-12-2006, 08:56   #85
Kai Nui

Marc, no comparison. Larry Pardey was a professional sailor who had crewed on tall ships, and had sailed since childhood. They took off after building their own boat, and chose a very small and modest vessel. Yes, they were younger, but far more experienced. That aside, The fuzzles did it, they survived, good for them. Time to go sailing.

Old 25-12-2006, 11:43   #86

Boat: Lexcen 40
Quote:
But hey folks, (and this is to everyone not just you Darryl) I would really, no actually the "team" would really appreciate this topic being dropped.
Wheels in my opinion you are usually incorrect in reference to the bum debate which is why you get continually flamed and upset and are part of the cause and effect.

FLAME AWAY!
Old 25-12-2006, 12:07   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienzdive
Wheels in my opinion you are usually incorrect in reference to the bum debate which is why you get continually flamed and upset and are part of the cause and effect.

FLAME AWAY!
And a Happy New Year to you as well

Dave
Old 25-12-2006, 13:17   #88

Boat: now floating easy37
yes a top effort for a post that one
sean
Old 28-12-2006, 18:06   #89

I read with interest most of their logs, and most of the posts here. Starting from their backgrounds of a condo and eating all their meals out, I would imagine that they have learned a fair amount, if not how to boil an egg. Perhaps they have the cast iron stomachs of the young to survive on a diet of beer hot dogs, meat balls, and burgers. Their knowledge may have been incomplete but whose is not, particularly at the start. There are cultures and sub-cultures - fortunately we are not all the same. I daresay there are others like them who reflect their cultural background and others who do not. Armchair critics notwithstanding they have done a major trip and shared it warts and all with others. Good for them.
Old 04-01-2007, 19:11   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
I believe that administration stops,censorship and begins, when adults are denied access to non-proprietary ideas and information, which are of interest to them, and which are of no harm to others.
Ok here I go. As a Mod or Admin you cant just go around deleting posts or threads unless any fourm rules have been broken right? If you do this it is censorship and your site loses its credibility. As for the poll there are only 8 negative responses to over 50 positive.
That said I have been following Pat & Ali from the very start and I must say I have enjoyed there whole adventure. What is with some of you here? Pat & Ali had the balls to do what must of us can only dream of doing. Hell I get a little pi$$ed when Pat doesn't update the site for a mouth because there off exploring what ever country they are in. Now I have not gone out and payed for a pizza for them but I did invite them for one if they are ever in my area.
As for the great debate here lets keep it going as it makes for great reading as I wait for my updates on the BUM site. Cheers to Pat & Ali for making it back to the Caribbean without running out of fuel and food
Cheers
RR
:cubalibre :cubalibre :cubalibre
Closed Thread