Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: bumfuzzle pretty cool or not my cup of tea
its a great read and i enjoy it 49 49.00%
theyre having fun who really cares 37 37.00%
i just dont appreciate them 14 14.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2007, 16:04   #121
Kai Nui

An old VW? What, a 5 year old Eurovan? Then again, maybe their experience has taught them enough to adjust valves and check oil.
OK, that was a shot, but not everyone is up to the task of cruising across the country in an old Westy. My parents owned them, and I have, and currently owned them. A VW is much like a wood boat. It requires commitment, and a willingness to get your hands dirty.

Old 07-01-2007, 16:24   #122
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
A VW is much like a wood boat. It requires commitment, and a willingness to get your hands dirty.
Hmm, maybe they ought to shop for a Toyota instead.?

Quote:
Unfortunately, many books require no thought from those who read them, because they made no such demand upon those who wrote them. The “Bum’s” tale may fall into that category.
Ah, come on Gord, ya are just an old-fart armchair sailor who is jealous of the Bums. Ya never had the guts or the smarts to do what they did and now ya attack their style and their accomplishments.
They are my idols and I wish more folks did what they are doing.

Shame on you Gord, you narrow minded wannabee you.

Old 07-01-2007, 17:22   #123

Boat: now floating easy37
if they were your idols you wouldnt own a monohull would you?? youd own a delaminating cat8-)
sean
Old 07-01-2007, 20:41   #124

I'd go for the Eurovan. Grew up in a (European, but lived in the US) family that toured the US 6 weeks at a time in a '71 Westy - surprised a lot of Jeepers in serious offroad alleys... until cylinder #3 ate an exhaust valve. We could set a clock by that, rebuilt it 3 times. Cemented my love of engines at age 11 ;-) Have an EV Weekender now, just introduced the kids to the joys of untethered land travel, and we have a hit on our hands. I'd take it south in a flash, *if* we could get some questions answered about the high compression and fuel quality.

As to the Bumfuzzle ride - good on them! We've made many fine friendships while cruising, but we've encountered the same attitudes they've had problems with from the "traditional" cruiser community, and agree wholeheartedly - we tend to avoid them like the plague. Funny how many of the gretast folks on land turn into miserable grinds on the water, and some of the most rigid, stuffy folks on land (OK, Germans, but I *am* one;-)) are some of the most relaxed, fun people on the water. Go figure...

Just like we don't like to participate in motorcycle rallies, or run in packs in races, or... I respect their desire not to participate in sailing rallies. Why seek out that which irritates you?

Side note: we sailed Wildcat #1 in the Grenadines, and it basicallly disintegrated around us over the course of the 2 weeks we had it. Happy to see theirs was so much more robust! Schionning is (are) a teriffic designer, but the execution by the builder left something to be desired. A 35' cat should never have 4 cabins, except maybe for the Whitsunday charter trade.

Mike
Old 07-01-2007, 22:04   #125

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattus
Side note: we sailed Wildcat #1 in the Grenadines, and it basicallly disintegrated around us over the course of the 2 weeks we had it. Happy to see theirs was so much more robust! Schionning is (are) a teriffic designer, but the execution by the builder left something to be desired. A 35' cat should never have 4 cabins, except maybe for the Whitsunday charter trade.

Mike
Could it be that Jeff has gone to Seeth Eefrika to address these problems.

from the Schionning website,

Schionning Designs -

SCHIONNING MARINE (SOUTH AFRICA)
(05-Oct-06)
Who thought that Jeff and Lorraine were having a holiday in South Africa? Well they are but they are also very excited to announce the formation of Schionning Marine (South Africa). Julian Kneale (Current Marine) our agent for the past two years has joined forces with Schionning Marine (Australia) to form this new company that will be modelled on our business in Australia and continue the success of our designs and kit sales as well as distribution of our selected product lines in South Africa. We will have representation in Knysna and Cape Town.

Dave
Old 07-01-2007, 23:14   #126
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
A VW is much like a wood boat. It requires commitment, and a willingness to get your hands dirty.
And an 8" adjustable wrench to belt the Generator and starter with. ;-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:30   #127
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Having cast myself in the role of critic, I become subject to Mark Twain’s maxim that “One mustn’t criticise other people on grounds where he cannot stand perpendicular.” (a more elegant version of the old N/A indian’s (Atticus?): “Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his moccasins.”)

Notwithstanding, my comments were directed to the Bum’s intellectual capacities and literary potential, not their seamanship. Their rather mundane experiences don’t seem to have been illuminated by any insights that might make them interesting to a general reading audience.

I’ll stand by my opinion that their superficial purpose in life appears simply to serve as a warning to others. (Knowing I cannot possibly make every mistake myself, those of others are a wonderful learning opportunity)

Of course, like George W. Bush, ”“I have opinions of my own - strong opinions - but I don't always agree with them.” (a more elegant version of “Opinions are like ********, everyone’s got one)

Wait! Perhaps it’s all a satirical farce; and I’m just too blind to see the “Alka-Seltzer moment” (when the tablet hits the water and begins to fizz) ...

Respectfully submitted by a narrow minded, old fart, armchair wannabe,

Old 08-01-2007, 18:42   #128
Kai Nui

You are half right Wheels. You need an 8" Adjustable wrench, and a No.3 Harley tool (Hammer) . Follow that with a few choice words, and a promise or two kept, and the old VW will go on forever Ah, Finesse! That is the word I was looking for here.
Gord, may I lend YOU the No.3 Harley tool?

Old 09-01-2007, 00:35   #129
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Kai:
Nope - don’t need a hammer. Have neither a wooden boat nor a Harley; but do have a few choice words, several kept promises, and a 24" pipe wrench (delicate enough to finesse most stubborn situations).
Wait! Just noticed that most of my best words are out on loan. Would the Harley Tool be an adequate alternative?

Old 09-01-2007, 08:25   #130
Kai Nui

Harley tool fixes all. And if it Over fixes it, you needed a new one anyway

Old 10-01-2007, 13:23   #131

Boat: Morgan 382 - Moonbeam
I've read these posts and I don't think I get it? Maybe I do, but I hope not. It is simple - the Bums are sailing around the world and they like pizzas and beer. Their Web site is intended to be just what they state ... a humorous look at travel without preconceptions.

Think back and remember your first experience as a captain. Well ... they have the courage to write the experience down for all to see. Why? They like it. Plus, from what I see, they are probably athletic and capable, and quick learners. And, you have to admit, their realization of the true function of a two-speed winch half way around the world is a real kick in the head. They are charming and honest.

When they state they don't like to be ignored when they're spending their money in a foreign country, I must agree. If they've protested or complained because of lousy, crappy treatment that truely equates to disrespect, I don't fault them. I would have reacted worse. After reading their accounts of the constant hassles in Luxor, i would have been in
Old 10-01-2007, 14:48   #132

Boat: Emu,15 metre ferro
Hi Kai and Gord
I hadn't heard of hammers being called Harley tools before but down here their know as American screw drivers no disrespect intended

Audrey
Old 10-01-2007, 16:04   #133
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
I've read these posts and I don't think I get it? Maybe I do, but I hope not. It is simple - the Bums are sailing around the world and they like pizzas and beer. Their Web site is intended to be just what they state ... a humorous look at travel without preconceptions.

Ha, here is another one: Full support of the Bum story and style on first post.
Seems like a trend, if not a troll.

Would this kind of post's perhaps be the Bums themselfes stirring up a bit of support now and then just to keep the threads going.?
Or old supporters with a new name?

Seems a bit suspicious as regular newbies at least introduce themselfes and say hello before they start blowing sunshine up the Bum's arses.
Old 10-01-2007, 16:32   #134
Kai Nui

Audrey, no disrespect taken. We know how Harleys are put together (the older ones anyway)
CSY, Yep. That would be my guess, but I hate to alienate a new member with suspicion, so chalk it up to one more person in favor of the Bum's. Good for him.
Quote:
they state ... a humorous look at travel without preconceptions.
Have to say, if humorous was laughing with them, not at them, they didn't quite get the result they were after.

Old 10-01-2007, 17:41   #135

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Hi careyocean, and welcome aboard the forum.

Hope you enjoy your stay and learn a bit and can share some trick's with us.

Don't be shy, tell us a bit about yourself

Dave
Closed Thread