Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2008, 23:34   #1

Buying a boat in Europe

Given the economic downturn, is it reasonable to expect that prices for secondhand cruisers in the European market are likely to fall, if so, at a faster or slower rate than current housing stock in the UK is?
We are hearing that things are unlikely to start getting better until at least 2010, so would it be better to wait and buy later?
bg9208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 12:57   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
If you plan to buy soon, due to the weak dollar exachange rate agains the Euro the bargains are in the US. If you follow rates, about 5 years ago it was USD$0.85 for one Euro. Recently been running USD $1.45-$1.55 for one Euro. Exports of all US products is booming right now just because of the rate.

Maybe I should not be saying this since I am trying to buy a boat right now. Would not want the US flooded with French sailors buying up all the bargains.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 13:56   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Maybe I should not be saying this since I am trying to buy a boat right now. Would not want the US flooded with French sailors buying up all the bargains.
I wouldn't worry. We make new ones every day just so the supply does not go bad. Buying on the basis of currency differences works only to a certain point. It still costs a lot to come over and get the boat back. It's not like hopping a flight to New York City. Go out and buy all new luggage and fill them with assorted bargains and go home. It's a real deal to do that now and folks certainly are coming just for the shopping.

Boats are a bit different than consumer goods that carry huge duty and VAT. There are many boats to see so that part of it is good but you probably only will buy one and it requires cash to come out ahead on the travel. You could also argue it's always been a good way to get a boat even with pout the great disparity in currency. They do tend to equalize a bit when you bring it back home.

If you can get the boat you really want that way then I sure would. I would come with that idea in mind and enough cash to spend the time to find it, survey it, make it ready, and then leave with it. The days waiting add up to real money even if it is discounted.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 19:40   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Well I wasn't really too worried. Would you believe a more tongue in cheek that worry.

All the issues you mention are quite relevant and do impact the potential savings, especially the VAT for taking boats back to Europe. Not sure of the current, exact cost but think that it is around 18%. However all that being said, the difference can still add up to a deal for overseas buyers.

I have seen it work the other way. I used to sell a lot of boats in S Florida for French sailors when the dollar was really strong. They would buy a boat in Europe and take the trade winds to the Caribbean. Cruise for a few months or a year or two and sell the boat in FL for more than they paid in Europe. Of course no way to get rich but a good way for a really cheap holiday.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 01:44   #5

You have to pay v.a.t when you bring the boat to europe. And depends on your...(sweden have lovely 25%). And this ontop of the boatprice and transportation and the insurance of the transportation. You can take the boat to Malta (14%) and pay the v.a.t. And after that take the boat to another eu country.
And be carefully, you have to pay v.a.t at the first arrived eu country if i remember right. So don´t stay first in Sweden
Old 18-09-2008, 01:52   #6

Boat: Looking for a live aboard
Ive read a little on this on another forum, and from memory, buying in the USA and importing back to the UK, after the european CE certification (requries a specific survey), after duty & registration is paid, as well as delivery crews (unless you can do it with freinds). After all that, then I heard that there can be approx a 30% saving.

Dont forget you will probably want a survey done in the USA before you buy it as well...Im sure this 30% figure is arbitrary based on someones personal opinion or expereince.

Oh...and voltage change over.

I think I would for the right boat and saving. Although one has to be making a certain level of investment to make the saving noticable, bearing in mind some delivery companies in the UK pay thier skippers several thousand £ for a delivery its likely to cost a bit to get it brought back for you.

Otherwise to bring it back yourself you will need to carry all your kit with you from the UK, around the USA until you find the right boat. Or you could have everything pre-packaged and call a freight company to ship it out to you when you are readying her for the crossing.

Im sure there is an element of risk in sailing the yacht trans atlantic without really knowing what she is like - unless you are a super sailor and your pocket tool can fix everything in your hands.

And then dont forget: Do you want to risk the time and effort inolved in flying out to see something for the first time, on the chance you might buy it or it might not be "as described".

Im looking for a 40ft +/- 5' and if i can save £25000 on the initial cost, I will consider going to the USA to look at a boat, but I really dont like flying. ;-)

Bg92098 please share your findings when you complete your deal.

Thread from another forum (sorry guys) - I hope this isnt against the etiquette.
Yachting and Boating World forums: Importing a boat from America

Mark
sausage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe