Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 02:44   #16

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Buying a Boat in Singapore

There are so many variables. Firstly budget -defining the size of boat and annual costs. Secondly, prefered mode of moveability - sail or motor ( any idiot can drive a boat, sailing will take some courses, which you should be able to do in Singapore.

There are many boats for sale on langkawi. Usually owned by people who have sailed thus far and then returned home to the States, Europe, Aus etc.

Shipping a boat comes at a very high cost. Or you can pay a delivery skipper and crew to get it there for you. (go with them and learn on the way). There are plenty of boats for sail in Queensland that you could have delivered of course. Time frame 4 weeks weather dependent.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:29   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick55
Hi everyone,

Was doing some research on "sailboats vs powerboats" and came to this forum.

My wife and I are contemplating to get a boat to liveaboard together with our 1.5 yrs old baby daughter. Based in Singapore and I have no experience in sailing, only done some windsurfing many years back. Thinking of getting a 35-40 footer...

Is it tough to sail a board? And is it better to get a motorboat or sailboat or catamaran as a liveaboard?

Thanks very much!
Hey Maverick - I am based in Singapore and the best advice is don't be in a rush. There is limited supply in Singapore and many boats change hands by word of mouth. It is best to expand your search to boats lying in Malaysia (Lankawi, Penang and Sebana Cove) and Phuket. This will increase your choices quite a bit and deilveries from Phuket are pretty easy - as quick as 5 days with plenty of easy places to lay over.

Living aboard is not that difficult but you should be aware of the total fees and the fact that you will have to be a member at any Marina you plan to stay in. Member fees are all over the map depending on the yacht club.

I am busy ths weekend but would be glad to meet up and orient you to boating in Singapore and perhaps get out for a sail.

Send me a PM with your email address if interested.

Interestingly I was interested in powerboating when I first started looking but quickly changed my mind to sail as I had sailed as a kid and there is a much more defined community of sailors than powerboaters. Powerboaters primarily are fishermen, secondly wake boarders and finally a (very) few cruisers. The most active cruising powerboaters are probably at Raffles with 3-4 sport fishers that are active.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:53   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper
There are so many variables. Firstly budget -defining the size of boat and annual costs. Secondly, prefered mode of moveability - sail or motor ( any idiot can drive a boat, sailing will take some courses, which you should be able to do in Singapore.

There are many boats for sale on langkawi. Usually owned by people who have sailed thus far and then returned home to the States, Europe, Aus etc.

Shipping a boat comes at a very high cost. Or you can pay a delivery skipper and crew to get it there for you. (go with them and learn on the way). There are plenty of boats for sail in Queensland that you could have delivered of course. Time frame 4 weeks weather dependent.
Thanks ozskipper. You are right, there are just so many variables to consider when buying a boat! Am planning to set our budget at below sgd200,000(good if lower since right now, I foresee only setting out to nearby waters maybe once a mth or every 2-3 mths; most of the time will dock it at the marina. We're totally newbies at this, but just pretty sure living aboard is more exciting than living in a condo in Sg & thought this will be a good exposure for our little one) Understand that berthing charges is about sgd14 per foot, so a 35-40 footer will incur some 500 bucks a mth. Learn that insurance is about 0.8% of the boat's value, so a 200k boat will incur about 2k in insurance? Yet to check out electricity and water costs for living aboard. And general cleaning costs, once biannual paint of hull, under hull cleaning costs etc. Estimated at least 2k a mth, that's 24k a year. (of course, so far all these costs are based on if we get a power boat) Only yesterday then I thought of why not get a sailboat/catamaran?? Will costs be lower? & easier for resale?

I feel we have to get "immersed" into the boating community to fine-tune our search. Have to step on board more boats & meet more friends! & probably will take up a sailing course. Just got my ppcdl last year. Really happy to chance upon this forum. Thanks so much guys! Lots to learn from you all sailors & boaters!

https://iuboating.wordpress.com/
maverick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:59   #19

[QUOTE="Ex-Calif"]

Hey Maverick - I am based in Singapore and the best advice is don't be in a rush. There is limited supply in Singapore and many boats change hands by word of mouth. It is best to expand your search to boats lying in Malaysia (Lankawi, Penang and Sebana Cove) and Phuket. This will increase your choices quite a bit and deilveries from Phuket are pretty easy - as quick as 5 days with plenty of easy places to lay over.

Living aboard is not that difficult but you should be aware of the total fees and the fact tha

Old 10-05-2012, 07:34   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

Living aboard is not that difficult but you should be aware of the total fees and the fact that you will have to be a member at any Marina you plan to stay in. Member fees are all over the map depending on the yacht club.

I am busy ths weekend but would be glad to meet up and orient you to boating in Singapore and perhaps get out for a sail.

Send me a PM with your email address if interested.

Interestingly I was interested in powerboating when I first started looking but quickly changed my mind to sail as I had sailed as a kid and there is a much more defined community of sailors than powerboaters. Powerboaters primarily are fishermen, secondly wake boarders and finally a (very) few cruisers. The most active cruising powerboaters are probably at Raffles with 3-4 sport fishers that are active.
Hi Ex-Calif,

Thanks for extending your generous offer! Lookinf forward to meet-up. Can't seem to PM you yet since new yet. So here's my new email : iuboating@gmail.com
Timing is flexible as we run our own business, only weekdays mornings gotta send my 1.5yr old daughter to her classes.

Cheers!

Love your boat name, Relax Lah!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:09   #21

Boat: Grand Soleil 39

There is not much choice in Singapore, but Phuket, in close proximity has lots of passage boats and some good deals to be made.

Leemarine www.leemarine.com
has an excellent brokerage section, and as a sailing detination is a lot better than Singapore, so start searching and enjoy!
alex
alexdiomedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 18:07   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdiomedi
There is not much choice in Singapore, but Phuket, in close proximity has lots of passage boats and some good deals to be made.

Leemarine www.leemarine.com
has an excellent brokerage section, and as a sailing detination is a lot better than Singapore, so start searching and enjoy!
alex
Thanks! Heard a lot about lee marine. Will check it up and probably make a trip up Phuket soon.

BTW, is there a huge difference between buying new and used boats? What I heard is that when we ge

Old 10-05-2012, 20:17   #23

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick55 View Post
Thanks ozskipper. You are right, there are just so many variables to consider when buying a boat! Am planning to set our budget at below sgd200,000(good if lower since right now, I foresee only setting out to nearby waters maybe once a mth or every 2-3 mths; most of the time will dock it at the marina. We're totally newbies at this, but just pretty sure living aboard is more exciting than living in a condo in Sg & thought this will be a good exposure for our little one) Understand that berthing charges is about sgd14 per foot, so a 35-40 footer will incur some 500 bucks a mth. Learn that insurance is about 0.8% of the boat's value, so a 200k boat will incur about 2k in insurance? Yet to check out electricity and water costs for living aboard. And general cleaning costs, once biannual paint of hull, under hull cleaning costs etc. Estimated at least 2k a mth, that's 24k a year. (of course, so far all these costs are based on if we get a power boat) Only yesterday then I thought of why not get a sailboat/catamaran?? Will costs be lower? & easier for resale?

I feel we have to get "immersed" into the boating community to fine-tune our search. Have to step on board more boats & meet more friends! & probably will take up a sailing course. Just got my ppcdl last year. Really happy to chance upon this forum. Thanks so much guys! Lots to learn from you all sailors & boaters!
ok ok Devils advocate time. I would suggest popping up to Phuket or Langkawi and doing a weekend charter on a mono and then a cat. maybe even look over a few stink boats (power boats) while you're up there. It could save you a lot of money. Also find out when the next boat shows are going to be on in nearby countries.

I looked at some boats via these guys at Langkawi recently. Pre-loved Yachts For Sale & Yacht Charters in Langkawi Island - Malaysi They also do Charter and can assist organizing deliveries. !! Plus the owner is simply a really nice guy and is the not type to lead you astray IMHO. ( and no he didnt pay me lol)

Also as you said, try and immerse yourself. Get to the local yacht club and offer yourself as race crew. You will most likely be used as moveable ballast for the first few times, but you will start to learn a hell of a lot very quickly. Marinas have great little communities of people willing to share information and help each other out. Once you are known to them, you will be surprised how close a few boaties can get.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 00:58   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper

ok ok Devils advocate time. I would suggest popping up to Phuket or Langkawi and doing a weekend charter on a mono and then a cat. maybe even look over a few stink boats (power boats) while you're up there. It could save you a lot of money. Also find out when the next boat shows are going to be on in nearby countries.

I looked at some boats via these guys at Langkawi recently. Pre-loved Yachts For Sale & Yacht Charters in Langkawi Island - Malaysi They also do Charter and can assist organizing deliveries. !! Plus the owner is simply a really nice guy and is the not type to lead you astray IMHO. ( and no he didnt pay me lol)

Also as you said, try and immerse yourself. Get to the local yacht club and offer yourself as race crew. You will most likely be used as moveable ballast for the first few times, but you will start to learn a hell of a lot very quickly. Marinas have great little communities of people willing to share information and help each other out. Once you are known to them, you will be surprised how close a few boaties can get.
Thanks! Will certainly make a trip down langkawi, tioman, Phuket. Part of our plans is to be able to make it down these places on our boat once in a while. Where r u based?

Old 11-05-2012, 01:00   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick55

Thanks! Heard a lot about lee marine. Will check it up and probably make a trip up Phuket soon.

BTW, is there a huge difference between buying new and used boats? What I heard is that when we ge
Sorry, realised message only half-sent. Probably because I was using the iPhone.

...what I heard is that when we get a new boat, after 1-2 years, the boat will depreciate by about 20% before coming to a plateau, is this true?

Old 15-05-2012, 02:14   #26
ato

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ato

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick55 View Post
Hi everyone,

Was doing some research on "sailboats vs powerboats" and came to this forum.

My wife and I are contemplating to get a boat to liveaboard together with our 1.5 yrs old baby daughter. Based in Singapore and I have no experience in sailing, only done some windsurfing many years back. Thinking of getting a 35-40 footer...

Is it tough to sail a board? And is it better to get a motorboat or sailboat or catamaran as a liveaboard?

Thanks very much!
Hi there! Getting into sailing is really easy, especially over here. I'd recommend you to go to some of the local marinas and hang around on the weekends, chat with some of the people at the marina pubs and the dockmasters for info on liveaboard life in the marina, boats for sale etc. There are some liveaboard couples with small kids at Raffles Marina for example. Sure you can ask them all you want to know, ease of life aboard with kids, motor boat or sail boat etc.

cheers!
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 05:04   #27

Thanks guys for all the advice thus far.
Especially to ExCalif for letting me have my first go at yacht sailing!

Just came back from the RYA competent crew course. It has been an amazing past 5 days! Awesome. "Lucky" to have met some stormy weather with wind speeds up to 30+ knots, plus the rain. Exciting!
Sailed to Nongsa and have 4 windy days out of 5 days. Average wind speed should be about 13-17 knots. Still learning about the diff between true wind and apparent wind. And really, sailing upwind "feels" more fun with the wind blowing onto our faces!

Next to try out some catamarans and increase my sailing experience (probably take up RYA skipper course; or take up a race training & race) before finally getting my first sailboat.

Cheers & happy sailing!
Old 21-08-2012, 15:31   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Outstanding Maverick - It's been fun sailing with you. We'll get out some more when Relax Lah! splashes in a month or two.

I should introduce you around the CSC and see if anyone is searching for race crew. Now that the Singapore Regatta season is "winding down" there will be a lot more club racing picking up.

There is 4 up match racing this weekend at Changi in J24s - they are limiting to 4 crews but it should be fun to watch.

Cheers!
Old 21-08-2012, 17:50   #29

Thumbs up Re: Buying a Boat in Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Outstanding Maverick - It's been fun sailing with you. We'll get out some more when Relax Lah! splashes in a month or two.

I should introduce you around the CSC and see if anyone is searching for race crew. Now that the Singapore Regatta season is "winding down" there will be a lot more club racing picking up.

There is 4 up match racing this weekend at Changi in J24s - they are limiting to 4 crews but it should be fun to watch.

Cheers!
Thanks for the update Ex-Calif!
Was looking through some of your posts last night, still long way to go to learn about sailing!

Relax Lah! undergoing major upgrades?
Looking forward!

Cheers man!
Old 21-08-2012, 18:10   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah - She has stood me well but it is time to start giving back. The inboard diesel is the big job but instead of fixing it in the boat - original plan - I have pulled it completely and will make its home on my dinging table as I repair it. (good to be a bachelor - LOL) This takes the time pressure off as I can install the engine at the dock anytime later.

I am also getting anti-foul done and will paint the foredeck this time. Other jobs include...

- Reroute the traveller gear
- Clean and repaint the bilge & build new floor for battery and exhaust equipment
- Install new saildrive boot
- Minor fiberglass repair in port locker
- Install used gps
- Install new windex - new job. Just failed in the last few weeks - jeesh
- Install new bilge pump
- Clean up and organize bilge, engine and autopilot wiring
- Install new stereo system
- Drop the outboard off for servicing
- Rearrange and install new clutches on the cabin roof
- Rebed all the deck gear and docking cleats

I am tired just listing all this stuff - LOL...

Tags
Singapore