Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2022, 16:32   #1

Buying a boat with no experiance

My partner and I are looking at buying a 1978 Ericson 30-2 in the SF bay area.
We are looking at hopefully using her as a liveaboard (yes we know its extremely small, but our alternative is a van). We are both extremely excited but are wondering if this is too much to jump into without any real sailing experience? The boat is located in the San Joaquin river and we would have to move it right away into the SF bay, or at least to a different marina or anchorage. I worry about sailing in such a narrow area, especially since the area where the boat is located is very shallow and we could easily run aground. Does anyone have any advice?
The boat itself is in very good condition, the previous owner has fixed all the leaks and completely redone the electrical as well as purchased a new mainsail and depth sounder. I really want to go through with the purchase but worry about the logistics of sailing in such a difficult area without any previous experience
Auggie073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 16:47   #2
Ayb

Boat: 1981 Ganley Ketch
Re: Buying a boat with no experiance

Are you having it surveyed and hauled out as part of the purchase? Motoring it to the boat yard with the seller for that should be a good experience and example of basic handling.

I'd be more worried about:
Do you have a slip lined up where you'll put it after purchase?
And have you confirmed you can get insurance suitable for keeping it at a marina? At over 40 years that boat may be too old to insure depending on the underwriter, but I have a friend with a '78 and no prior ownership and he got insurance just fine.

If the above is ok, you can certainly learn to sail and you could have some friends help you move the boat until then. You're not going to run aground if you have a depth sounder, a chart, and some basic idea of navigation rules. Realistically you're going to motor there and not be under sail that first time.
Ayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 18:08   #3

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Make sure that you can find a marina that allows liveaboards, many do not.
Old 19-03-2022, 02:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayb View Post
Do you have a slip lined up where you'll put it after purchase?

Have you confirmed you can get insurance suitable for keeping it at a marina? At over 40 years that boat may be too old to insure depending on the underwriter.
+1

Also if the captain(s) have no experience you may have difficulty getting insurance.

If the boat is not insured, you won't be able to get a slip in a marina, as marinas will require a stated amount of coverage (here in Toronto it's minimum $2 million liability).

I also agree with AinA's point about liveaboards in your area. From what I've read on this Forum the San Francisco area of California is particularly difficult regarding liveaboard slips/marinas.

As you're beginning to see, the purchase of a boat is the least of your worries. Perhaps enrol in some sailing lessons...
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 02:56   #5

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I think basic liability insurance is fairly easy to get and that's all the marinas require. It was $250,000 (not 2 mill) when I had my boat in Washington State. The insurance companies automatically know what the minimum is for your area. That's mostly to cover the cost of an oil spill because that can get really expensive very quickly.
I heard the Napa marinas might be more liveaboard friendly.
Old 19-03-2022, 03:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I think basic liability insurance is fairly easy to get and that's all the marinas require. It was $250,000 (not 2 mill) when I had my boat in Washington State.
Yeah, Sandcrab, it does vary widely, doesn't it. Keep in mind the amount I stated is for Toronto, Canada. And in Canadian dollars. As it's a standard amount, the boater being assessed will be considered at that threshold (at least here they will).

Because of the litigiousness of US society and/or hurricane season, our insurers have begun excluding Canadian boats kept in US waters. Just ask hpeer about his recent headaches...!

Or you can read it for yourself (please keep in mind that the thread originated in Australia, then morphed to more international contributions, so consider the country of origin of the poster as you read):

Insuring a 40-Year-Old Boat
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ht-262071.html

LW77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 09:54   #7

Boat: Alerion Express 28

I'll bet if you ask the seller he would take the boat down to the Bay and have someone meet the boat at the marina and drive him back. As others have noted, make sure you have a marina slip signed up. The only insurance you will need is liability and I don't think that is age dependent.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 10:36   #8

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie073 View Post
.........The boat is located in the San Joaquin river and we would have to move it right away into the SF bay, or at least to a different marina or anchorage. I worry about sailing in such a narrow area, especially since the area where the boat is located is very shallow and we could easily run aground. Does anyone have any advice?...........
The San Joaquin River is relatively deep in the delta. Where specifically is the sailboat located? Suggest buying charts and/or a navigation display. Head out to the middle, stay between the channel markers and proceed to the Sacramento River to to the San Francisco Bay. If you need help send me me a PM and I can guide you out.
Old 19-03-2022, 10:38   #9

A survey is essential and well worth the cost s any repairs that require to be done will be paid for by the seller. Look up ASA sailing courses and do a couple to help you get insurance and some knowledge.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 10:38   #10

You could also hire a captain to help you on this journey. This could be a teaching experience.
reneaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 10:55   #11

Boat: Baba 35

We bought our boat and we had only been on a sailboat one time before and we certainly didn't drive it.

I spent a month on a sailboat simulator on my computer before buying her.

We got progressive liability insurance for our boat 5 minutes after buying it on their website from my phone while standing on the dock.

We then drove around looking for a slip at a marina. Liveaboards are welcome in Texas generally.

Once we got our slip we drove back to the boat. I prepared my butthole for a puckering of a lifetime and started the diesel engine. I immediately got it stuck in the mud of the channel and had to wait for the towboat. Luckily Progressive insurance comes with unlimited free towing.

Turns out the depth sounder stopped working between the survey and our little trip to the new marina. Neat. The marina we chose was the same marina we had the haul out for the survey so i was able to more or less follow the old track to our slip. We used a lot of Google maps to confirm where we were going.

I somehow pulled off a flawless tight turn into the marina slip on my first try. I still don't understand how I did that.

Boat hasn't moved since. Been three years. The refit continues.

I hope that helps. lol

We have learned to sail on others boats since then.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 11:00   #12

Boat: Leopard 45

Which comes first, the Chicken or the Egg? You'll need a survey in most cases to get insurance. You will also want a sea trial. Insurance will also be required in most marinas whether live aboard or not. First find a marina with live aboard, then get a survey, then insurance. I found that Progressive insured older boats. You should find a friend with sailing experience to check it out pre survey and sea trial. He may also help you take it to its new Marina. Sailing experience isn't necesary to live aboard but if you expect to take it out of the safety of the marina you will need to build some experience.. Find an ASA school in the are and get some classes and experience. A friend with sailing experience would be helpful in getting to know the ins and outs of your boat as well as building experience in actually sailing it.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 11:00   #13

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

"We are looking at hopefully using her as a liveaboard (yes we know its extremely small, but our alternative is a van). "

I'm confused. I dont see how a van is an alternative to sailing? Or are you just looking for somewhere to live & you think a boat might do the job? In which case, forget it. A boat is far more complex than that. There are all sorts of issues you may have no idea about...

"The boat itself is in very good condition..."

I very seriously doubt that with a 44 year old boat. Much more likely there will be all sorts of things to be fixed. My boat is 41 years old & it is one little thing after another - & thats after 24 years of my ownership & 2 major refits.

"I worry about the logistics of sailing in such a difficult area without any previous experience..."

So dont go sailing. Motor to where you need to get to & build experience slowly - but even motoring a slow sailboat in any tidal area needs know-how. Take someone experienced with you at first.

Good luck.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 11:02   #14

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft
Thumbs up Re: Buying a boat with no experiance

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim King View Post
Which comes first, the Chicken or the Egg? You'll need a survey in most cases to get insurance. You will also want a sea trial. Insurance will also be required in most marinas whether live aboard or not. First find a marina with live aboard, then get a survey, then insurance. I found that Progressive insured older boats. You should find a friend with sailing experience to check it out pre survey and sea trial. He may also help you take it to its new Marina. Sailing experience isn't necesary to live aboard but if you expect to take it out of the safety of the marina you will need to build some experience.. Find an ASA school in the are and get some classes and experience. A friend with sailing experience would be helpful in getting to know the ins and outs of your boat as well as building experience in actually sailing it.
Good idea.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 11:11   #15

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie073 View Post
..........but worry about the logistics of sailing in such a difficult area without any previous experience
Makes friends with local sailors who are willing to show you how to sail in the delta, where there is lots of wind and current, lots of tacking but warm in the summer.

Tags
boat, buying, buying a boat