Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2020, 10:24   #1

Buying a used boat in Florida vs Mid-Atlantic

Hi,
I am considering buying my first sailboat in either Florida, mainly cause there is so much inventory there, or in some mid atlantic area like Maryland or Virginia.

I am looking at buying a mid 2000s 33-39 footer.

My question is how much more wear and tear will a sailboat that has spent its whole life in the tropical sun and humidity of Florida have vs. a similar boat that has been in cooler environments where its not hot and humid 365 days a year. Will there be more mold, rot and oder issues on a boat from Florida? I would guess so, but I am eager to hear your opinions.
FremontSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 12:06   #2

Re: Buying a used boat in Florida vs Mid-Atlantic

We are considering the same options so interested to see responses.
Chili Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 12:11   #3

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Is the mid-Atlantic any less humid than Florida? Perhaps in winter, but not in summer. I do think that boats from the Chesapeake have perhaps less hours than those in Florida due to the winter layup, but that depends upon the individual owner and boat.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 12:28   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

How much UV damage accrues to a Floria boat is a function of how well maintained it is. Some owners here go to great length to protect all exposed wood, windows and gelcoat and run A/C and dehumidify religiously compared with northern boats which are essentially abandoned all winter.

What is a common misconception is that Florida boats get more ‘use’ - our Summer is our layup season meaning our annual use is the same here as it was when we lived in RI.
The only real difference is the need here for frequent bottom cleaning
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 12:50   #5

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

I'd say there's going to be more of a difference in the way the boat was maintained by its previous owner than the environment. Even in the hot Florida sun, fiberglass boats are pretty robust by nature and hold up to the weather as long as the owner has taken some pride in ownership. Yes you're going to have more humidity/mold issues down this way I'd imagine. If I found a specific boat I liked, it wouldn't matter to me if it were in Maine or Key West.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 09:09   #6

I dont think it makes much odds, more to the care of the boat by the owner rather than location.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 09:17   #7

Boat: Watkins 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontSailor View Post
Hi,
I am considering buying my first sailboat in either Florida, mainly cause there is so much inventory there, or in some mid atlantic area like Maryland or Virginia.

I am looking at buying a mid 2000s 33-39 footer.

My question is how much more wear and tear will a sailboat that has spent its whole life in the tropical sun and humidity of Florida have vs. a similar boat that has been in cooler environments where its not hot and humid 365 days a year. Will there be more mold, rot and oder issues on a boat from Florida? I would guess so, but I am eager to hear your opinions.
Sailboats in Florida get used year round... We dont put our boats up for the winter. So an 10 year old Florida boat gets used alot more than a 10 year old northern boat. When a Northern boat is up on it cradle for the winter, we are looking forward to the best winds of the year for sailing.

Of course we dont have the freeze thaw cycle that can destroy a boat in one winter.. But we do have to put up with incredibly strong sunshine, with UV level that are extremely high, year round.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 09:19   #8

Boat: GibSea 472

I don't believe that it would make much a difference, sunwise. But you need to take into account different state rules for buying in Florida. A friend of mine, bought a sailboat in Florida, and among the conditions , the need to get the boat out of Florida State, within on month or be subject to a mandatory a sale taxe without exception. And it seems that this law is applyied firmly, by zelous state officers!. I don't know anything about other states however.
As for the usage , Our boat, stored all winter months up north, I strongly believe that months in the hard, on stands with the riging in the wind incure much more constrains on the structure of the sailboat compared to passing winter in the water.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 09:19   #9

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

How the individual boat was maintained by the owner is going to have a more significant impact to the boat's condition than the difference in weather.
That said, I would guess (no evidence) you will see more wet deck and delamination on boats that endured freeze-thaw cycles, since the expansion of any water trapped in a join will open the joint more and could result in more leaks... Anybody have experiences to confirm/deny this?
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 09:36   #10

Boat: O’Day 40

We just finished a similar process looking at boats from MA to FL & I was originally of a similar mind thinking a mid-Atlantic boat would be somehow better than a southern one.

At the end of the day it really got down to the individual boat As we saw both excellent and crummy boats in all areas.
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 09:44   #11

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
How the individual boat was maintained by the owner is going to have a more significant impact to the boat's condition than the difference in weather.
That said, I would guess (no evidence) you will see more wet deck and delamination on boats that endured freeze-thaw cycles, since the expansion of any water trapped in a join will open the joint more and could result in more leaks... Anybody have experiences to confirm/deny this?
I can say that on Lake Ontario, ours wintered indoors has faired better than those stored outdoors. Those store outdoors without a cover or with only plastic tarps show advanced damage.

Where you will find winter induced damage is wet cored hulls. I’ve seen many northern boats with hull skinscracked open.

As far as waterlogged decks: most winter-induced cracks are at first cosmetic. That said, after say 20 years it doesn’t seem to make a difference where the boat resides- waterlogged decks occur at the same proportion regardless of location, and are due to lack of maintenance.

From my experience though decks that are 90% or more saturated are more common in warmer/ rainier areas. But against these are low maintenance boats and show it beyond the decks, whether in NY or FL.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 11:07   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

Florida boats have much higher incidence of lightning damage than boats further north.

Have your surveyor specifically check for evidence of lightning damage.

Electrical items that work 'sort of' will fail completely within months.

Due to more continuous UV radiation, look for crazing in hatches and portlights.

Also, running rigging ages faster here.
vpbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 11:19   #13

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

It used to be a rule of thumb that fl boats were cheaper on average than those say from Annapolis by about 10%. And Annapolis cheaper than Canada on average by another 10%. Does that still apply?

Jim sv Gaia
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 11:22   #14

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpbarkley View Post
Florida boats have much higher incidence of lightning damage than boats further north.

Have your surveyor specifically check for evidence of lightning damage.

Electrical items that work 'sort of' will fail completely within months.

Due to more continuous UV radiation, look for crazing in hatches and portlights.

Also, running rigging ages faster here.
I question the basis for these statements.

While Florida has a higher incidence of lightning, boater here are well aware of that and generally have proper grounding unlike northern boats.

And it’s an uncertain comparison how much UV affects a Florida boat compared with the equally or not more damaging effects of moisture, freeze/thaw cycles and prolonged layup on the hard up north making any generalizations dubious at best.

The only valid point here is there can be no definitive judgment regarding venue - rather, it’s all about the maintenance of any prospective boat purchase.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 14:47   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
…..
….
The only valid point here is there can be no definitive judgment regarding venue - rather, it’s all about the maintenance of any prospective boat purchase.
This seems to be the best answer.

Tags
boat, buying, florida, used boat