Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2016, 09:41   #1

Buying International

Wife is accelerating retirement plans and, for price reasons, I am now considering boats that I had previously passed over due to location.

I’m in Oklahoma, USA and was wondering what issues I might encounter if purchasing a boat registered or located in a country other than the US.

Plans for the boat are to bring to, and remain local to US Gulf waters for the first couple of years, but to expand to Caribbean, then later to South Pacific as I gain experience. (Yes, already begun ASA Classes, but nothing beats hours at the helm).

I am concerned about reliable surveys, payment methods, proper ownership transfer, ease of sale in 10 years or so as well as anything else that might come round to bite me in the rump. Also, are there any countries best avoided due to regulations, scam, or just plain hassle?

Interested in hearing from others with experience in this matter, or is you know of a thread, or link that covers this.

Thanking you in advance
-sterling
DailyLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 10:24   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Buying International

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyLunatic View Post
-----are there any countries best avoided due to regulations, scam, or just plain hassle?
-----
Lmao. The USA?
Old 13-07-2016, 10:34   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Lmao. The USA?
I'm interested in the price reasons the OP mentions. There are arguably more used boats for sale in the US than any other single location in the world.

Regarding registration, I have neither experienced nor heard of significant problems with registering the boat in the USA. And since the OP is a US citizen it is by far the simplest, easiest place to register the boat. Also since he's from the US, he will know the language, culture and laws so much less likely to get scammed or run afoul of local bureaucracy.

As far as buying a non US boat and bringing into the country, you may be liable for import duties and certainly some red tape. I would recommend hiring a custom's broker to handle that. Not expensive, maybe $100 or so.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 10:40   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Also, regarding issues and how to deal with buying in another country. Every country is different. Obviously there are hundreds of countries in the world and not feasible to list the rules and regulations for all so you really need to narrow down the region you're considering.
Old 13-07-2016, 10:40   #5

Thumbs down Re: Buying International

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Lmao. The USA?
Wow!

...and here I was thinking it might take 3, maybe even 4 posts before someone attempted to belittle or de-rail this thread...
Old 13-07-2016, 10:43   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Wow!

...and here I was thinking it might take 3, maybe even 4 posts before someone attempted to belittle or de-rail this thread...
Mike's post might have been made in a humurous way but I think it was a sincere attempt to impart information.
Old 13-07-2016, 10:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I'm interested in the price reasons the OP mentions. There are arguably more used boats for sale in the US than any other single location in the world.

Regarding registration, I have neither experienced nor heard of significant problems with registering the boat in the USA. And since the OP is a US citizen it is by far the simplest, easiest place to register the boat. Also since he's from the US, he will know the language, culture and laws so much less likely to get scammed or run afoul of local bureaucracy.

As far as buying a non US boat and bringing into the country, you may be liable for import duties and certainly some red tape. I would recommend hiring a custom's broker to handle that. Not expensive, maybe $100 or so.
Just an observation when searching on YachtWorld. A significant number are outside the US.

I'll add Import Duties to the list of things to consider. Thanx.
Old 13-07-2016, 10:51   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Just an observation when searching on YachtWorld. A significant number are outside the US.

I'll add Import Duties to the list of things to consider. Thanx.
Add to that list:

1. The cost to travel to distant locations and pay hotel bills with a very high risk of getting there to find the boat is not exactly as nice as the pictures posted on yachtworld. Do this a couple of times and you have probably killed any possible savings.

2. Boat could be wired for 230 V, 50 Hz power leaving you incompabible with US systems, dock power, etc. If wired for 230V/50Hz then all AC equipment on the boat will be weird for US as well.

3. Unless you plan on keeping the boat where you buy it, depending on where you are, it could cost a heap of money or time or wear and tear or all the above, to get the boat back to the US.

I can think of a number of other issues but these I think are the big ones.
Old 13-07-2016, 14:09   #9

Bought a boat OS and have been using it for 6 years. Generally things worked out OK, but you have to do a personal inspection because photos are not clear enough and can be selective in their detail. It's difficult to see crazing on acrylic unless you're close up. Water stains can easily be left out of pictures etc. I would not encourage you to buy say in Croatia and then take the boat back to the US, for the reasons that Skipmac suggested and more. Many boats in Europe for example are ex charter and will not be ready for water sailing">blue water sailing. You might have to go so far as replacing all of the rigging and even the sails. I personally would not enjoy up to 50 days and nights at sea getting the boat back. Buy in a patch that you'd like to spend time in and enjoy the sailing there. We're like the Med for the sailing and the culture.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying