Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2018, 07:37   #1

BVI charter boat--newer/smaller or older/bigger

I'm planning on chartering for the first time this spring and am deciding between two different size monohulls.

--Moorings 38' that is 3-5 years old.
--BVI Charter 35' that is 1 year old.

Cost is about the same, so that's not an issue. This is for my wife and me.

All else equal, I'd lean toward the 38' just to have a better berth and galley space. But we could certainly fit in the 35' and if newer means fewer potential equipment issues then that might be the way to go.

Any advice you can offer?
Many thanks.
JiminVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 12:52   #2

Boat: S2 9.1
Re: BVI charter boat--newer/smaller or older/bigger

I have only chartered there once in 2016 and had a Beneteau 43 from Conch Charters. It was 6 years old but in surprisingly good shape. Had no complaints at all. We loved the trip.

Have fun!
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 13:16   #3

Boat: Alubat Cigale 16m

I have not done business with BVI Yacht Charters but have seen their boats close up a few times and they seem to be looked after. The trade off is not necessarily shorter/newer vs longer/older. You also need to look at the extent of support you would get if anything did go wrong and Moorings is clearly the largest player.

For two of you, I doubt you will notice the loss of three feet and the new Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 is certainly an incremental improvement on the older Oceanis 38 (which is, if I recall correctly, what the Moorings 38 is - with a couple of tweaks)

However, there really is no bad decision to be made between your two options. You will have a whale of a time either way. My wife and I sail there and the USVI for about a month every year and definitely have not got bored yet.....
Telesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 13:36   #4

Boat: Gemini 105M 34
Send a message via Yahoo to captainstubbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telesail View Post
I have not done business with BVI Yacht Charters but have seen their boats close up a few times and they seem to be looked after. The trade off is not necessarily shorter/newer vs longer/older. You also need to look at the extent of support you would get if anything did go wrong and Moorings is clearly the largest player.

For two of you, I doubt you will notice the loss of three feet and the new Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 is certainly an incremental improvement on the older Oceanis 38 (which is, if I recall correctly, what the Moorings 38 is - with a couple of tweaks)

However, there really is no bad decision to be made between your two options. You will have a whale of a time either way. My wife and I sail there and the USVI for about a month every year and definitely have not got bored yet.....
We used conch charters a few years back, opted for them because they had a bigger boat for the same money. Other than a leaky hatch we took care of with a garbage bag and the water pump sticking on once we were very pleased with the trip. They even gave me an extra day free on the next trip. The boat was older but it was maintained, and I would use them again.
Old 15-09-2018, 09:30   #5

We know BVI Yacht Charters well; we have chartered with them several times since 2013–35 to 40 ft monohulls. Their boats are well maintained and support is very good.
RobertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 09:56   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 54 DS

I have been very impressed by the way Horizon Yacht Charters maintains their boats. I watch them maintain their fleet while I was at the dock for 6 months at Nanny Cay.
Sails, mechanicals, and interiors were always perfect.
Worth a look. IMHO
bjymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 10:14   #7

Only tid-bit I have is I've heard that Moorings will charge you for any scratches, etc., so be sure to take pics of the boat at the beginning. I've always used Conch because I've chartered larger older boats for high school marine biology cruises.
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 12:29   #8

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

I have had good experiences with the Moorings as far as how they prep and maintain their charter fleet. On the other hand, 5 years in Caribbean charter is very hard on a boat. I'd go with the yearling so long as you think the layout works for the two of you. Most larger charter boats are optimized for a larger number of people so much of the space isn't usable by a couple anyway.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 14:48   #9

Boat: Oyster 55

There are several variables to consider: size of boat, age, price, facilities and support. You said the price was about the same, so that one cancels out. 3’ bigger is not a lot, but it is still bigger and when length increases so does beam and interior space. 1 year or 3 years old is not much different, and I don’t think it makes much difference. Most of the charter companies in BVI maintain their boats well. Most of these companies also provide very good support because they know their reputation depends on it. Facilities is the variable that separates your two choices. Moorings/Sunsail has by far the nicest marina in BVI with restaurants, shops, and a big swimming pool. Ordinarily I would recommend the cheaper charter company such as BVI Charters or Conch, but since you said the price was about the same, the choice is clear: Get the 38 at Moorings.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 15:09   #10

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Good thread, and not so easily answered, other than to relate our personal experiences .

We have used moorings and sunsail world wide for about 34 years, many different vessels, and lengths .

The last Moorings boat that we had out of Tortola, BVI, was older. We found several problems during our own pre briefing check, and more showed up after we began our two week sailing vacation.

One major sqawk that we discovered during our personal systems and inventor check, was a large tear above the tack on the luff of the main sail. I pointed it out to the mooring boat check out and systems staff briefer.

He said he would advise their sail loft, at the marina, and they would bring over a new sail. this is the MOORINGS. We had our chart brief, the systems check out, personal gear and provisions stowed. No one from the sail loft appeared.

So, i went up there, and it was party time in the sail loft, or break time, or no time.

When I explained the damaged main sail, they just looked at me, so I went down t the boat. Tucked in a double reef, no pressure on the luff or fall of the sail, and we left.

Our first overnight anchorage was the Bight and party time at the Willy T. When we departed Wickhams Cay, Road Harbor, Tortola, it was raining, strong winds, and very limited visibility. You could not see any of the neighbor islands, the indians, or Pelican, or Norman, or Peter island.

So, we engage the auto pilot, as we stowed dock lines, hauled up and stowed fenders and hoisted the main sail. I had the course set on the auto pilot to take us to Norman Island.

The boat was squared away, the dink trailing astern, and it was time to sail the boat.
Well, I could see the head lands of Road Harbor and the sea buoys, and knew we were off course.

Auto pilot compass showed us on course, the binnicle compass showed 45 degrees or more difference from the auto pilot.

I always bring my own hand bearing compass, and the ships compass was correct. I disengaged the auto pilot, and never used it again during the two weeks. We can navigate, and used D.R's, and were on our way into the gloom.

In about an hour, under sail, the Indians and Pelican slid past our starboard side and in one more mile we were preparing to pick up our mooring. That is another tale for another time, as the wind was howling, strong rain and very low vis. Perfect with Erica at the helm and I on the book hook to snag the mooring pendant.

Point being, after two weeks, we had 16 discrepancies on that Moorings 36 or 37....

Back at the Moorings base, they sent some one down to check us in. I had as list of the problems, two of which were substantial. I was reading the squawks off to the Moorings staff, and they would take their pen, begin to write and would stop. Nothing was written down on their post sail check in list. Good luck to the next bare boat charter people who were assigned that vessel.

The following year, BVI sailing vacation # 14, we went with Sunsail, that vessel was in much better condition. However, we decided it was time to find a new Charter Outfit that was not a huge corporation..

BVI sailing vacatiions # 15 and # 16 were with CONCH CHARTERS. Both bare boat sailing vacations with Conch, we had two different 36i monohull sloops. We loved the Conch staff, everyone one of them, and though their boats were older, they were well taken care of . The boat check / systems check was fun, informative and professional, the after sailing check in , the same.

We now have BVI trip # 17, booked with a deposit for May of 2019.

Your question: A 36 foot sloop is perfect for Erica and I, we could drop down to a 35, or up to 37 ft beneteau.

If we had the choice those ranges, we would take the newer vessel. Less bare boaters have chartered the new boat. And, I hate to say this, but from what we see, many of the bare boats are not being sailed well, in good winds. And, if they do break something, it might not be reported, like that rip in our main, or the auto pilot compass off many degrees.

Yep we would go with the 35 of BVI Charters, but would check out their reviews.
One year old, sounds really good to us, as does a good charter company.

However, we board early, and spend about an hour and a half going over all of the vessels systems, rigging, sails, engine, reefing system, sheet block placement for the jib, electronics, ships compass to my hand bearing compass, and GPS if there is one.
We check the marine heads, fill the fresh water tanks if needed, check engine room for leaks, oil and fuel topped off, all belts and fittings proper, etc.

If we find any problems , we advised them immediately, and have those problems taken care of , way before out scheduled departure timed. This is before the scheduled staff systems briefing on our morning of departure.

We found no descrepancies with Conch Charters even tho their boats are older.

Fact is, we had been chartering with the moorings since 1983, the BVI, and then Tahiti, and eventually , many other areas, australia, much of the caribbean, and ireland. Our sailing club, was actually broker for the Moorings, and we also had flotillas with up to 12 boats, that I was group leader .

We were sailing with the moorings when it was owned by Charlie Cary, and his wife, long before it became the conglomerate with TUI. So, we were saddened a bit when we finally no longer chartered with the moorings and sunsail. We were super loyal for a very long time, and had marvelous sailing vacations.

Now, we prefer the small, family owned charter out fits, and the friendliness, and personal interaction with the staff . we get to know them and they get to know us.

Long explanation, but I wanted to qualify my answer to your question, as to which way to. New 35,.....or 3 to 5 year old three foot longer vessel. For us, a new 35 would be our choice. However, you did not mention, what the manufacturers were of those vessels.

Regardless of your choice, have a super great BVI sailing vacation....it will be fantastic.

Denny and Erica
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 06:06   #11

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42

Although most of my experience has been with cats, I have had great experiences with TMM Charters and find them to be great with customer service. Boats are well maintained and chase calls are appropriately done/responsive to your needs. TMM has a great reputation on TTOL site(mostly charterers, as opposed to cruisers on their own boat).

Recommend you check them out.
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 12:04   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

Chartered with Moorings 3 times over last several years. A+ operation in every regard. Wife and I have found 39’-43’ great size for even just us two (wouldn’t go smaller unless no other option). PM me if you’d like details on the BVI. Cheers
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, BVI, charter