Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 19:27   #1

Boat: SeaRay 440 Motor Yacht
California Crusin'

I've got a question..... Has anyone boated (or know someone who has) from the California Delta (San Francisco) to Catalina Island and back? Gonna be retired in a few years, living on our boat in CA Delta (Yeah!!!) and will probably make that trip!!!
jmcdboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 20:24   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: California Crusin'

Yes, we have done that trip (or at least from Emeryville) several times in the distant past.

Many others do it every year.

So, what's on your mind?

Cheers,

Jim
Old 04-09-2012, 21:48   #3

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

We've made the trip a few times.. We keep our Boat on the Georgina Slough out of Isleton just south of OxBow Marina.. Its a good 9 hour trip to the bay from here, and 3 days to Catalina (Two Harbors)
And If you're lucky, you can catch a southerly and get back almost as fast..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 19:12   #4

Well, what's on my mind is..... How difficult is it? I'm experienced in running up & down the Sacramento River to San Francisco.... Did that a lot. Cruised under the Golden Gate just to say we did it..... Have no experience in open water. I'm no chicken s-it, but I've learned enough lessons the hard way in my life to understand that it is much, much better to learn from those who know more..... I didn't know about fuel available, difficulty with ingress & egress to the harbors, wether it makes any sense to run all night, or overnight in harbor,how far do you run off shore, when is the best time of the year to go, this must really sound dumb, but..... I'm openly admitting.... NO experience in open water. I've taken Coast Guard courses, and Even tho I have no open water experience, I am smart enough to NOT become someone else's headache (or a statistic) because of simple stupidity and attempting something like this without a reasonable effort at becoming prepared......
Old 05-09-2012, 19:38   #5

Might help if you told us what sort of boat you were planning to do it in! And other details like crew size, what time of year and so on.

Jim
Old 05-09-2012, 20:28   #6

The vessel has not been purchased yet, but will be 42'-50', twin diesels, Searay, Californian, or Carver. Most likely heavier vessel, mid- powered, 550 - 700 NPR, flat water cursing 15 - 22 knots. (?)
Old 05-09-2012, 20:43   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdboater View Post
The vessel has not been purchased yet, but will be 42'-50', twin diesels, Searay, Californian, or Carver. Most likely heavier vessel, mid- powered, 550 - 700 NPR, flat water cursing 15 - 22 knots. (?)
Yikes.

Although I've run down to the Channel Island and back a dozen or so times, I've only done the San Diego to San Francisco run once in a big twin-screw powerboat.

Cruising at a conservative 11 knots, we burned 1,800 gallons of diesel. And that was for a one-way trip.
Old 06-09-2012, 00:18   #8

Well JMC, I can't help you at all with advice on a journey in that sort of vessel. Our voyaging has all been in sailing yachts, 30-46 ft OAL, and the issues are quite different. Others will likely advise...

Cheers,

Jim

PS I thought only sailors did flat water cursing at boats like yours (no offense... just joking)
Old 06-09-2012, 06:40   #9

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

jm
I.ve made the trip in both sail and power.. the area you're looking at in boats is a good one.. (by the way, if looking, I cant say enough good things about "Nina" at Delta Yacht Sales at OxBow Marina, One of the rare ones thats honest and up-front when buying a boat, .. and while there, stop in and say "Hi" next door as I own the Canvas Shop)
As far as the trip south, you should'nt have any issues.. I've got a couple guides for traveling down the coast and you're welcome to them..
If It were Me, I'd take advantage of the trip and stop overnight in port, not as much to get off the water but to experance the the ports from the water side..
Half Moon bay (Princeton), Montery, San Simion, Morro Bay, Port San Luis, and Santa Barbara........ they are all good stops and a different prospective when staying in the Marinas..

and traveling the open ocean.. you've probably had rougher water crossing San Pablo Bay in a tide change... spring and fall are your best times to travel.. the winds build in the summer months in the afternoon, like SF Bay and the waves build a bit.
And winter being about the best time, as the water is flatter (between weather fronts) but you could be trapped in a harbor for a couple weeks wating for another window. uasally you'll have a window of a few days..
Personally, we like traveling the coast in the winter, its crisp air, and you dont have to deal with the damn fog..
good luck in your adventures
Randy
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:01   #10

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Dana, 24
Send a message via ICQ to EveningTide

I've been to the Delta and to Catalina several times and live half way between. My s/v is tiny compared to your future power yacht. Read the Cruise Guides (like Brian Fagan's) and get some experience with 5-10 foot waves and 25 knots of wind. I grew up in the Delta. The ocean is different. Pay good attention to the weather forecasts. If the wind is NW10-20 or less things will be fine (I didn't say smooth).
EveningTide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california