Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2020, 17:25   #16

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Can anyone explain why Webasto diesel heater prices are so different on the inter

Yes, Sure Marine have been around for decades and have a good reputation. I was in there several times while building my boat in the '80s and they were very helpful.

While the accessories are different between the truck/bus/tractor/etc market and the marine market, it certainly doesn't justify the price difference. Go into a truck supply store and try buying a heater and if you can't produce a CDL then they are going to be difficult. The Webasto and Espar (Eberspacher) distributors do not want to undercut the marine outlets.

Since the OP is just looking for a backup I think this is a good application for a cheap Chinese unit. A neighbor of mine just bought one on eBay for $113 plus $3 S&H and is in the process of installing it now (that is the kit price). For something that is likely to sit in a locker for years I couldn't justify the extra $1k - YMMV. There are YouTube videos of these cheap units, and the castings look great. I wouldn't hesitate to give them a try first.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 17:39   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1
Re: Can anyone explain why Webasto diesel heater prices are so different on the inter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Yes, Sure Marine have been around for decades and have a good reputation. I was in there several times while building my boat in the '80s and they were very helpful.

While the accessories are different between the truck/bus/tractor/etc market and the marine market, it certainly doesn't justify the price difference. Go into a truck supply store and try buying a heater and if you can't produce a CDL then they are going to be difficult. The Webasto and Espar (Eberspacher) distributors do not want to undercut the marine outlets.

Since the OP is just looking for a backup I think this is a good application for a cheap Chinese unit. A neighbor of mine just bought one on eBay for $113 plus $3 S&H and is in the process of installing it now (that is the kit price). For something that is likely to sit in a locker for years I couldn't justify the extra $1k - YMMV. There are YouTube videos of these cheap units, and the castings look great. I wouldn't hesitate to give them a try first.

Greg
Carina, thank you for the post and your thoughts.

Sam
Sam Woodbridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 17:48   #18

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Roughly the same heater from China, sold on Amazon or ebay is about $175. I have 2, common parts are available on ebay. They seem to hold up. Biggest problem seems to be getting the ignition screen carboned up if run on low temp too long. Easy to solve.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 18:51   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Roughly the same heater from China, sold on Amazon or ebay is about $175. I have 2, common parts are available on ebay. They seem to hold up. Biggest problem seems to be getting the ignition screen carboned up if run on low temp too long. Easy to solve.
Lepke, thank you for the post. I’m coming to terms with a china heater, but not there yet. Although I haven’t heard anything negative about them.
Old 16-12-2020, 19:31   #20

Boat: McBride 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
Mick, you are talking about a Planar (Autoterm). Obviously this is not Webasto; Autoterm is much cheaper than Webasto, nothing to do with middle men, you cannot compare prices. There are even much much cheaper China heaters (but personally I wouldn't go there)
I ve got a Webasto in my bus and a practically identical Chinese copy in the boat. They both work very well. We put the one in the boat ourselves. Total cost about $US400. I didn’t do the bus but Iwas told just the purchase was about double the copy.

If you do the installation yourself, make sure the lift pump is near the bottom of the lift. The don’t suck well! About 18 inches is the maximum practical head.
SimonFirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 19:46   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonFirth View Post
I ve got a Webasto in my bus and a practically identical Chinese copy in the boat. They both work very well. We put the one in the boat ourselves. Total cost about $US400. I didn’t do the bus but Iwas told just the purchase was about double the copy.

If you do the installation yourself, make sure the lift pump is near the bottom of the lift. The don’t suck well! About 18 inches is the maximum practical head.

Thank you Simon!

Tags
diesel, heater, internet, price