Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2023, 12:28   #46

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight
Re: Can anyone identify this boat please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damoedge View Post
I'm actually in Ireland, Happy Saint Patrick's day to you all

Yes the boat is in Ireland so European design, the seller my friend is selling to me for €450 around $480 and comparing it to other boats on websites here for sale it looks like a good bargain.

I don't know anything about boating at all, my partner and I recently moved house and we now live right beside a network of canal's and the boat is right outside our back door on the canal, so it would be mainly used along the canal's here in Ireland, maybe go onto the river Shannon at some stage. The seller says the mast is somewhere he would have to find it.

I'm more interested in putting on a outboard 8 or 10hp engine on it, though there is a big rudder at the back. It will be a great learning experience I guess. Thanks to all who have replied so far.
D.

If you do not know anything about boating, for your own sake, please do not start with a dilapidated project boat unless you have at least similar experience in cars, houses, etc. It will likely begin and end in frustration as it has for many others. Spending a little more and getting an operational boat you can use sooner will increase your odds of enjoyment for the long term. Good luck!
Old 27-03-2023, 12:30   #47
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Can anyone identify this boat please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Nope wrong angle to coach roof front and wrong rake to transom his is reverse the ruffians is almost vertical with normal rake
My thoughts as well but.. leave no mono unturned..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 19:30   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
No I'm not saying it can't be used on a canal - although if it's a fixed fin keel the draught may be a problem.

I'm just saying that a sailboat without a mast rolls badly. Even with no sails up, the mast provides a stabilizing inertia - but the round bottom of a typical sailboat allows it to roll severely when that inertial stabilization isn't there.

I've had a couple of IOR 'Quarter Tonners', that were about the same length as this boat appears to be, and one of them was a drop keel design. I had other yachts that were a little smaller, that had swing keels. My sailing grounds were notorious for annoying chop through anchorages, and while I agree that being mastless made the boats roll in choppy conditions, they also rolled when they had a mast.

The difference was that they rolled more quickly from side to side than they did with a mast. That made it a bit weird at anchor, or transiting across waves rather than into them, when motoring, but for the most part, you get used to it, and just treat the yacht as a motorboat, which often has the same motion anyway.

I would but the thing, provided it is fibreglass, and spend a bit of time on this forum asking for advice as you go through the steps of cleaning it, repairing and/or fitting it and generally making it into a handy little live aboard motor cruiser for weekends away, or eventually as a nice sailing boat to learn on.

You'll get plenty of guidance here, and you are bound to have a sailing club somewhere near home. You can gain some experience by getting to know people, and asking about 'crewing' aboard some of the yachts.
That will teach you what all the bits of rope and rags attached to the mast are for, and which ones need to be pulled and released, to do what.

Five hundred is a pretty good starting point, but as someone earlier said, it WILL cost you a lot more. The thing is, as long as you are planning to keep the boat and don't 'want to sell' it, it's no more expensive than what my mate is spending building his electric train model layout.

Have fun. I did, on more than one occasion - and each time I more or less rebuilt a yacht, I got years of cruising and exploring out of her.

Now age, and health has relegated those times to 'just memories'.

One suggestion though. Please remember to take lots of photos, especially starting with the beginning of your refit. It will be fun looking back at your first project in years to come. Especially if something takes you away from your sailing, or your motoring 'canal trips'.

A last suggestion. If the owner cannot find a mast, it is not a lost cause. You can make anything fit almost anything with a bit of oxy (acetylene - NOT codeine) and a big hammer. By that, I mean, there will be a mast sections somewhere that can be made to fit on your boat. In the meantime you can use it as a motor cruiser to go exploring.

If the boat does not have an inboard motor that works, or never had one, and does not have an outboard, an 8hp two stroke (probably not available in the EU these days) or an 8hp or 9.9hp four stroke should easily move that boat.

Have fun - this could be the start of a great adventure. . .
rossdv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 13:17   #49

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damoedge View Post
I'll have to ask the owner about the mast and paper work, I know there will be a lot of work to get it ready but for me it will be a nice little project and I might as well make use of our canal's here seeing there outside our back door.

I really appreciate all the replies I'm getting here thanks a million to all, this is new to me and I'm looking forward to getting into boat life!

My main concern now is the keel, I'll have to find out more about it.

I did step onto it the other evening and it didn't seem to tumble that much in fact I thought it would rock a lot more as I'm a big fella lol.

Anyways I'll keep ye updated here when I find out more about it, information is always good.
I’ve done a similar thing, sold my h28 and my power boat and bought an 18ft trailer sailer. I got rid of the rig and took out the centre plate and the lead, put a full head room covered in soft dodger, replaced the 8 with a 15hp 4 stroke outboard for more power into the chop and wind. I got it self contained so I can use it as a caravan for camping here in NZ, and when I pass a boat ramp, I can put in and go fishing for couple of days, a very handy little boat. Oh and rolls no worse than any of the many small boats I’ve had, the wife and I love it, so go for it, you can’t go wrong.
Old fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 17:06   #50

Boat: J-Boats, J-27

Honestly, I don’t see the current owner EVER getting 350-500E for that boat unless its hauled, cleaned, geared up with what goes with it, and establishes enough information to prove he has the right to ‘sell’. Don’t kid yourself that you’re not doing him a favor. Take the boat off his hands for free. Period… you have a lot of work to do to get it running in any format out on the water.
JMaav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2023, 21:59   #51
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Check the aft section of the Hull for a HIN(Hull identification number) if not there check inside the cabin.
Usually its stamped on the starboard side of the transom, when you find it post it on here as that will ID the builder and make things easier.
Lotta work ahead if you buy it..
If that boat was built in the 70's or 80's it doesn't have an HIN. The recreational Craft Directive hadn't been published yet.

Get a power washer and have at it. It will look a lot better when it's cleaned up.
Old 30-03-2023, 04:06   #52

Hello all, just to update you...

While we were away in Gran Canaria for a week the guy sold the boat to someone else who paid for it straight away when he saw it.

It was mostly my fault I guess because I never gave him any notice that I would buy it, if it wasn't to be it wasn't to be for me.

He gave me more information about the boat, he said it has a rising keel a pump action one so traveling on the canal wouldn't have been a problem.

The owner of the old boat yard in which we live in is bringing a cruiser and sailing boat soon and is looking to sell them cheap as he does not need them so maybe this could be a blessing in disguise that the boat was sold on.

Anyways it has ignited interest in me about boats and seeing the canal is our back garden I'll have to get a boat in time and enjoy our gorgeous waterways here in my island of Ireland

Really ladies and lads thanks for all the help and information you gave me here, ye are a pleasant and funny lot lol, I hope to be back on here soon to start my voyage in the boating world.
D.
Damoedge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, lease