Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2020, 13:14   #1

Can I go to Mexico from US while waiting for title paperwork and another question

So I recently bought a Trimaran as someone with no boating experience, intending to learn while it's moored in San Francisco. Unfortunately I found out the harbor I'm at doesn't want the boat stored long term because the boat pulls the mooring balls and there's a risk of it drifting over to the other boats.

As a result, I'm going to be forced to learn quickly so I can either anchor out or find a place with an available slip.

Someone recommended a marina in Mexico to me awhile ago, and I would like to look into it but I'm still waiting for the paperwork from the coast guard. I was given an option to request priority registration when I submitted the paperwork, but turned it down because at the time I didn't think I would need it expedited.

Does anyone know if it's possible to request that priority paperwork after the title/escrow documents were already submitted? Should I contact the coast guard? The title company said I would need the actual title documents before going to another country but that it would take up to 4 months to get them.

Also, does anyone have experience going to Mexico during COVID? From what I'm reading online you have to go to a hospital to get tested but I'm not really comfortable going to a high risk environment like that. Can I take a test outside of the hospital or are there any other options? Does it depend where in Mexico I go?

Or are there other options that someone who has to learn to sail in the next few weeks could do? The harbor said they aren't going to rush to kick me out, but that we just can't stay here long term. Depending on weather they may have to give me a timeline but we aren't at that point yet.
TheNomadicAspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 13:30   #2

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’
Re: Can I go to Mexico from US while waiting for title paperwork and another question

I would be more concerned with having to sail past Point Conception in winter...... with no experience.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, work