Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2018, 14:14   #46

Boat: Najad 373
Re: Can This Be Repaired?

Guy swapped his old 54 (if I recall correctly) to a newer 62... and kept the mental curiosity and manual agility to try and repair what can be fixed.

I’ll respect that and take it for a role model.

Arrogance can’t buy respect. Humility will.
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 14:55   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelMe View Post
Guy can afford a few million dollars worth of boats but not at $250 part....sounds right to me.
I bet you get your dock lines on sale at the dollar store too.
Maybe the way you get to own a million dollar boat is by not throwing away things that can be fixed.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 15:07   #48

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Maybe the way you get to own a million dollar boat is by not throwing away things that can be fixed.
There it is right there! Here, here. Well put.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 17:30   #49
cruiser

The new plan: Buy a new one for $62, then fix the bent one to be used as a spare. I’m sure someone else onboard will eventually repeat my mistake, so a spare will come in handy since it would be difficult to make the repair while underway. If indeed the new one were to cost $250, I’d be pleased and confident with the repair alone.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 18:36   #50

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
There it is right there! Here, here. Well put.

Friends think I agonize over $20 and drop the money to buy a boat on a whim. Nope. Buying a boat is at least two year of agony up front.
I’m basically a New England yank at heart but willing to look money in the eye and let it go IF the situation is right.
I own the money bit does not own me.
I’m totally on board with kenomac here. Fix it, keep it as a spare and buy a replacement if the price is reasonable.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 06:38   #51

Trying to bend this back may cause it to "work-harden" which may have a tendency to become brittle, crack, and/or break when you least want it to. Best fix, in my opinion, would be to replace it.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 08:28   #52

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelMe View Post
Guy can afford a few million dollars worth of boats but not at $250 part....sounds right to me.
I bet you get your dock lines on sale at the dollar store too.
There is a significant difference between having enough money to buy what you want, and having so much money you don't care where or what you spend it on. Most people who have enough to buy what they want got there by not wasting what they had. Having money doesn't always mean stupid with money.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 08:40   #53

It's probably bronze. It's worth a shot trying to bend it back, it may work and you have nothing to lose anyway. Maybe you can cut a piece of wood to grip it without scarring it. If anything, bending may work strengthen it, but if it starts a crack at all then not so. My guess is the top flat portion is twisted, not the heavy lower part, It may bend back readily, surprise it bent at all. How?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 09:25   #54

I don't like the idea of "bending it back... load on it may cause more problems
suggest biting it ... buy a new one.. if you're attached keep it for parts
arcticmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 09:37   #55
cruiser

I was able to fine a new guide for $71 shipping included. It’s presently back ordered, so meanwhile, I’ll bend the one I have back into shape and keep to have as a spare.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 10:09   #56

Boat: Olson 40

Depends on how you value your time. $100 gets a new one, so how many hours are you prepared to spend to salvage a bent old one?
tdgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 10:18   #57
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Since it's basically just a guide and normally shouldn't be under a downward load if the winch is wrapped properly, I'm now thinking a repair might be the answer then see how it works out. Since I have access to an automotive machine shop, may as well give it a try.
For the benifit of others on the forum...

The self-tailing jaws should never be holding anymore tension than you can easily hold with one hand. This reduced rope wear and the chance of the rope suddenly slipping (which it can do if the jaws overloaded). It also insures you can easily release the rope under good control. The finger should never see more than 50 pounds of force.

Just because it holds with fewer wraps does not make it proper or safe, as Kenomac has seen. Most of us know better, but that's not to say we have not made the same mistake and could benefit from the reminder.

---

I'm not really sure why you really need a spare. Winches have no always self-tailed. If it breaks, tail by hand, easy enough with an electric winch. Then park the tail in a cam cleat. Really, I prefer to park tails in cam cleat in gusty conditions anyway, for quicker, more controlled release and for better tacking (I always take them out of the jaws as part of the pre-tack set up).
Old 16-11-2018, 10:40   #58

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Huge sail, not enough wraps on a very strong electric winch.
Just imagine what that electric winch could do to a hand or arm.
Old 16-11-2018, 10:51   #59

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
The question was... "can this be repaired?" I wasn't asking for rude, thoughtless, obnoxious, sniping, inappropriate jabs like you seem to enjoy offering up. When someone on this forum asks for help with a repair or improvement on their boat whether it's a freebie boat or 5 million dollar yacht, no matter the cost... I always try my best to offer helpful advice based on my experience, just like the other thoughtful respondents on this thread.

You should learn to do the same, because someday... YOU may be the one doing the asking.
How's a guy supposed to have any fun?

Sorry, I had to. Thanks for posting. I never considered the effect of more wraps to align the tail with the tailer. Something new.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 18:19   #60

Just bend it back. I don’t see this exploding in someone’s face. I bet if it fails it will just bend and touch the drum.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote