Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2010, 09:32   #1

Can You Help Me Identify My 24' Sailboat ?

Hi...I just aquired this 24' daysailer. It has a through the hull tiller, head, small below deck table, sleeps 3. The beam is approximatly 7-8'. It is fiberglass with a fixxed keel. It has an outboard motor mount on the transom. The only identification I can find is the word "Sport" on one of the windows. I have searched everywhere for a label, hull number, id plate, etc.. If anyone can help me I would be greatly appreciative. I would like to find a rigging manual, specs, etc.. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	17864   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	17865  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo4.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	17866   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	17867  

holidayfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 10:47   #2

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
nothing in the registration information about manufacturer?
Old 20-07-2010, 10:49   #3

not registered

I am researching though DMV....It has a lot title
Old 20-07-2010, 10:49   #4

Sorry...Lost title that is!
Old 20-07-2010, 10:54   #5

First of all, welcome to CF. It's a great forum where you are likely to find lots of info and help.

As to your boat, all I can say is that since you are in the Bay area, it's very likely a West Coast built boat, maybe a San Juan, Cal or Columbia, likely built in the 70's or late 60's.

If you can't find anything on the boat, try backtracking on the prior ownership if possible. But I would not wait for that kind of info before trying to rig the boat .... just go ahead and try to put things together. But before trying to sail it make sure the rig is OK, maybe find a buddy somewhere who has more experience than you do to take a look.

What is that in the cockpit?

Do you have any more pics, like of the interior or the underbody?
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 15:32   #6

Thanks Speedo

Thanks very much....I will upload some more pictures below. I appreciate the advice and I fortunate to have some friends that know a lot more than me about sailing and rigging.

My boat does have a v-birth with a head on the port side....it came with a regular boom and what looks like a small boom for the jib sail.
Old 20-07-2010, 20:39   #7

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Ahhhh, a club footed jib. A lot of older boats came with that, but one still sees them even on some newer ones.
Old 23-06-2011, 10:00   #8

Re: Can You Help Me Identify My 24' Sailboat ?

Hey Holidayfamily,

Yeah, I recognise it. I am surprised no one else spoke up.

You have aquired what appears to be a early 1980's model Catalina 25. At first I thought it might have been a MacGreagor Venture 25; but, the little almost porthole window on the front and the squared off cabin at the back edge of the fore deck gave it away.

She should be a pretty solid boat, should need checking over for blisters as the older layup processes tended to run dry, (pre-vacuum process). She may be a bit heavy; but, generally steady in heavy weather. If I recall you may want to check if she is a fin or wing keeled model.

Cheers!
Dave Cooke
ldavidcooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 10:12   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

wrong windows for a catalina. and they didnt make a 24--only 25. jensen wenk made a 24-- then they became cal, but this is not one of those. also wrong coamings for a catALINA
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 10:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
wrong windows for a catalina. and they didnt make a 24--only 25. jensen wenk made a 24-- then they became cal, but this is not one of those. also wrong coamings for a catALINA
I agree, definitely NOT a Catalina. No stanchions, deckhouse not at all like any Catalina, etc.

IMO all the US sailboat builders were putting stanchions and lifelines on their cruisers by the late 60's, the fact that this little cruiser has none suggests it was not a US built boat. Maybe Canadian.

Also, the "smaller boom" is more likely a whisker pole, than a boom for the jib.

on further edit: We are wasting our time trying to help the OP in this thread. He/she has apparently decided it's really a 20 footer and appears to have identified the boat with help from others base on that critical info.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 08:46   #11

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavidcooke View Post
You have aquired what appears to be a early 1980's model Catalina 25.
No. <-- click me
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 10:39   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

could be a compac?--isnt --i looked at pix--not that either..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 11:11   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Well what was it?
Old 24-06-2011, 11:25   #14

Boat: Tartan 30

how sure are you about the 24' ?
Old 24-06-2011, 18:05   #15

Hey All,

Sorry, I had thought I had responded earlier to zeehags post agreeing with their conclusion. For some reason being a newbee here my post was lost. (I figured it had to be me and I gave up. Especially after finding I was not given edit privileges on my own posts.) However, since there have been more posts I will try again.

After reviewing the 1978 through 1982 Catalina 25 on the gallery at sailingmates.com, it was clear the anterior portion of the deck house was clearly not the same. The primary telling feature that caused me to think it was was the three port windows. Of most of the major manufactures at the time only the Catalina (Not the Capri model) had the three ports with the two large ones aft and one small one in the forward position, I had initially thought.

As to the Pacific Sea Craft models, most had traditional ports so they were out. The Macgregor co. had several models in the 19, 21, 22, 25 (Venture Models) in the similar time-frame, definitely would not have a equivalent port configuration.

The Hunter models sides/gunnels were higher and did not share the port configuration, which was the same with the Beneteau. The San Juan 23 though the fastest of the day sailers at the time would not match up nor would the Ericson though it might have been the most similar other then the Catalina.

Cheers!
Dave Cooke
ldavidcooke is offline   Reply With Quote