Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2009, 07:41   #31
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Seems to me like the best thing if you throw a line over for someone else an eye splice of the correct size for application is in order.
I just purchased new dock lines. I had both ends of the line spliced, so there would be less hassled of straightening the line. Also the person who recieves the line can pass the line itself through the splice, and drop it over the bollard, or cleat. It makes for a perfect fit each time, and we can maked needed adjustments as we see fit from the boat. You can see how large our cleats, and bollards are. Usually we sit about 5-6ft. lower. This was after 2hurricanes in as many weeks......i2f
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unity.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	7940  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 08:20   #32

Never know what a stranger will do

As a dock bystander, I am always willing to offer and give help. But when I am on the boat ( as helm or line handler ) I prefer to do it myself. The boat crew has likely been briefed on the plan, the dock help has not. I have seen dockings gone bad because the shore help pulled or cleated the line too soon.

Todd
zydecotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 11:38   #33

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
This seems like a rediculous conversation. As I said before, the guy offering the help is probably the guy with the boat next store. Most of the time it's handing off a line at arms length. If you need it as a spring line he knows it, or can be yelled at to snub it for that.

Maybe I'm in another world, but most folks I've found on the docks have been more
than helpful. As have forum people. Although those on the dock in most cases have less ego than some on a forum.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 14:24   #34
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
. Although those on the dock in most cases have less ego than some on a forum.

LOL Really? Just because someone isn't of your opinion and they wish to contribute their ideas they become ego driven jerks?

Give it a break!

No matter what peoples disparate ideas are, at least we can find out here what goes on in others minds. That is not a waste of time, far less worthy of insults.

On this forum there are lots of times when I put out my ideas and find that I am the only person at sea with them. It gives me a chance to later reflect on others input and maybe change my ways.

Further, sometimes I am given a great idea, or at least food for thought, from some complete newby who has never dipped a toe! So careful reading with an open mind can be great

Different peoples ideas and opinions are what makes forums work

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 14:46   #35

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Amen, Brother!!

Although I think you may have just killed your chances of being a mod. Too open minded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

LOL Really? Just because someone isn't of your opinion and they wish to contribute their ideas they become ego driven jerks?

Give it a break!

No matter what peoples disparate ideas are, at least we can find out here what goes on in others minds. That is not a waste of time, far less worthy of insults.

On this forum there are lots of times when I put out my ideas and find that I am the only person at sea with them. It gives me a chance to later reflect on others input and maybe change my ways.

Further, sometimes I am given a great idea, or at least food for thought, from some complete newby who has never dipped a toe! So careful reading with an open mind can be great

Different peoples ideas and opinions are what makes forums work

Mark
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 08:51   #36

Mark,
If you are going to quote a post, please quote the whole thing. So it isn't taken out of context.

Roger
Old 30-04-2009, 14:56   #37

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
Time to chill?

The thread starts with a silly situation where cal40john is criticised for not assisting in quite benign circumstances ... so in many way the thread starts with the ridiculous. But moves on to practical ideas we can use.

Two things facinate me here. One is the expectation that its my job (rather than my pleasure) to pull in another boaties lines. Of course we will assist, but it ain't going to go exactly the way they do it, and it often isn't clear they can't do it themselves until Murphy ('s Law) is in control.

The second thing is how people prepare their boats and crew to reduce reliance on others. For many docks layouts and situations, there is one line that brings crisis under control (often a spring). As a skipper sailing with newbies, I focus preparation and practice on getting that right.

As long as I bring the boat 'into the zone' that rope will 'bring me home'. As I leave home berths, I lay out that rope so it can be 'hooked' ASAP.

I am very interested in how others go about things ...
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 15:00   #38

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger.waite View Post
Time to chill?
My apologies, the icon was meant to be a smile, not a poked out tounge.
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 15:04   #39

Roger,

Excellent point about a spring line.

Roger
Old 30-04-2009, 18:22   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
My apologies, the icon was meant to be a smile, not a poked out tongue.
The tongues don't stick out enough so you notice. Hey, the icons came with the software. It's too late to to get a refund. Andy botched the sea trial.

Lots of latitude is required when reading posts. We have dozens of versions of English written here. It includes people living upside down relative to most any one and you just know that that screws things up a lot. It's driven me nuts for years. You can learn! If it were a better world we would have more understanding. It would be OK if we started here.

The details of this thread are something we can talk about. A lot of people don't. For me I look at the wind and figure the right thing going into the slip. If on the dock I figure maybe they need some help. If they look like they will miss the slip I stick around. There are a lot of folks that don't know to ask and many that resent that you think they can't. You can't know before they get there if they will unless they ask. If you offer before they ask it's OK. If they can't really get in trouble if you wait longer than you know.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 19:13   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
I trust few people to take a line for me. I have only had two bad docking experiences and both were due to people yanking on a bow line (40' single screw). I have a bow thruster but very rarely use it.

One fella after being asked politely not to touch the lines (several times) and then being yelled at "DON'T TOUCH THE DAMN LINES" still reached over and grabbed my bow rail.
At just the right moment I gave the thruster a shot and sent him into the water.

One of my favorite boating memories
Old 01-05-2009, 10:31   #42
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I trust few people to take a line for me. I have only had two bad docking experiences and both were due to people yanking on a bow line (40' single screw). I have a bow thruster but very rarely use it.

One fella after being asked politely not to touch the lines (several times) and then being yelled at "DON'T TOUCH THE DAMN LINES" still reached over and grabbed my bow rail.
At just the right moment I gave the thruster a shot and sent him into the water.

Seems a bit strange that this is one of your favorite boating memories!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:04   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
... At just the right moment I gave the thruster a shot and sent him into the water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Seems a bit strange that this is one of your favorite boating memories!
He's from Hogtown. Not much better to do on Lake Ontario, than "play" with the dock rats.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:11   #44

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
He's from Hogtown. Not much better to do on Lake Ontario, than "play" with the dock rats.
Not true. There's always the "which way is the smoke from Stelco blowing today" game.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:12   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Unfortunately true....ever since Stelco went belly up.

Tags
dock