Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 00:19   #376

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Many are cored below the waterline , unlike beneteau and Hanse

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AFAIK, all HRs from 45 feet are cored below the waterline, as are all Swans, and all high-end European boats other than Oyster. All catamarans AFAIK. Production monos not cored below waterline because of cost.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:06   #377
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Can't Wrap my Mind Around this "Bluewater" Thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
AFAIK, all HRs from 45 feet are cored below the waterline, as are all Swans, and all high-end European boats other than Oyster. All catamarans AFAIK. Production monos not cored below waterline because of cost.
My thirty year old 42 Pearson is cored below the waterline. To be honest I didn't even think about that issue when boat shopping. I had the bottom gel coat pealed to do an epoxy seal which allowed me to see the balsa core in the hull (amazing how clear a fiberglass laminate is). There was no evidence of moisture or delamination anywhere.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:55   #378
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

personally i would not have/or like core below the waterline ,

dave
Old 08-07-2014, 12:37   #379

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

One time I was installing a bilge pump in a 50' sailboat that was in drydock. When the drill punched through the thin f/g inner skin of the bilge, water squirted up over 2 feet! No cored hulls for me.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 09:57   #380

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

This is an old thread but some new posts so my two cents: I agree with many of the pros and cons regarding knowing how you want to use the boat, overbuilt versus built enough, etc. I have bought older boats - a 1978 boat in 1999 and my latest a 1981 in 2014. I put lots of money and time in the first and I will in the second. But I gots lots of the gear I wanted in the older boats that I would have to add to a newer one. The new ones can be very good boats, but just like a new house you have to add things to them, even the ones already equipped for "bluewater". Things like autopilots, radar, watermakers, additional sails if desired, safety gear, spares, etc. etc. With a new boat you won't have to worry so much about the mechanicals and the sails and rigging and the other basic items. But don't underestimate the difficulty of working on some newer models, i.e. those with no bilges or access to things. Or cheap plastics.

If I had the money I would buy a newer boat that someone had already paid to add the goodies for offshore use, and one that had already been sorted out since boat designs and construction are all over the place. I would also buy a boat designed and constructed for the specific passages and living I would want. Light interiors are always nice. But so are good rudders that don't fall off. I don't want a deep fin keel but for some they are ideal. For me I would consider those with good offshore reputations such as Island Packet and Pacific Seacraft. They are not as fast as most newer boats but they are dependable for what I would want to do. For the Caribbean, I wouldn't need that type of boat though. I would want a boat that is easy to work on though. I can't afford them though so I went with an older boat with good qualities. I will have to put a ton more money in it than I paid for it but I would for a new boat too, just for different things.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 10:05   #381
cruiser

after snapping a stay from the main i understand your concern about "buying new". replaced rest of stays later at cost of 9k so buyer beware of old boats is a concern.
su2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 10:11   #382
cruiser

after all considered i spent close to 100k on rebuilt gene,sails,electronics etc in short period of time after purchase.these items were not options but necessary to maintain safety. one only has to have a stay break and go overboard into the rudder/prop to realize that "bluwater use" means 50knot winds from time to time unannounced. the stress on rigging is surprising.
Old 16-07-2014, 10:32   #383
cruiser

just think inshore or offshore and "bluwater" means offshore.years ago i learned on a stern bouyant CT-54 that lied to submarine the bow causing green water to flow into all open deck hatches. these old taiwan boats are notorious for this problem.since then i keep all deck hatches closed underway as 90 gallons of seawater all over the inside of your boat is unwelcome.

Tags
water