Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2020, 22:34   #226

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Captain/Owner Sleeping at the Helm

I think you meant to say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
So you actually have some experience of similar identical yachts racing with identically skilled crew, one with a locked off propeller and one with it free wheeling, and you actually measured the difference?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 22:44   #227

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalestr View Post
Only on saildrives and outboards do you have true free-wheeling and otherwise you get much noise, wear on the shaft bearing, greater debris snag potential and a spinning folding or feathering prop will wear out much faster so this really should be avoided.
Just to get a bit of perspective back:
This whole discussion originated from Post #1 where the vessel was identified as a 2006 Lagoon 45 i.e saildrives and the OP unilaterally put them in reverse when the Captain didn't listen to his bad advise.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:27   #228

Boat: Cal 29-2

Not sure the the cat's drive configuration was stated though with a search I found a Sail magazine article that suggests for 2017 at least it uses 45hp (or greater) Yanmar saildrives and folding props were standard. If that's the case here I think Yanmar allows locking of these props.
https://www.sailmagazine.com/boats/b...ew-lagoon-450s
Maybe the OP actually was on the right track then. I don't think we know what type props she actually had. Some may assume these were fixed blade props because they were spinning but I don't think that is evidence.

I wonder why these sail legs were noisy though. I think some bevel gears remain engaged on these sail-drives, the shifting and the dog clutch, unlike an outboard motor, is located high in the leg, so that could equate with the noise -- but a spinning folding prop will 'work' slightly on each rotation against their mating gears, the bottom blade trying to droop and that could explain greater noise/vibration. Just a guess.
Dalestr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 19:04   #229

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalestr View Post
Not sure the the cat's drive configuration was stated though with a search I found a Sail magazine article that suggests for 2017 at least it uses 45hp (or greater) Yanmar saildrives and folding props were standard. If that's the case here I think Yanmar allows locking of these props.
https://www.sailmagazine.com/boats/b...ew-lagoon-450s
Maybe the OP actually was on the right track then. I don't think we know what type props she actually had. Some may assume these were fixed blade props because they were spinning but I don't think that is evidence.

I wonder why these sail legs were noisy though. I think some bevel gears remain engaged on these sail-drives, the shifting and the dog clutch, unlike an outboard motor, is located high in the leg, so that could equate with the noise -- but a spinning folding prop will 'work' slightly on each rotation against their mating gears, the bottom blade trying to droop and that could explain greater noise/vibration. Just a guess.
Our smaller Yanmar saildrives on the F-P 37 made an unearthly whine with the fixed 2-bladers free-wheeling at high speeds, such as in the "gale on the tail" running down N. Cal. coast S. of Cape Mendocino, under the little Solent jib only. Boat speeds of ~10kt in the troughs of the 10-12' long period seas, and 15-18 surfing down the faces, with the bow waves fire-hosing the bridge deck underside to add to the cacaphony. Rarely saw apparent wind less than 25kt over the half-day it lasted. No vibrations at all.
PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, helm