Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2018, 13:30   #31

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Saba50
Re: Caribbean Hurricane Haul Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawbonz View Post
Very helpful, BigNut. One thing that concerns me about my broker is that it seems that she expects me to develop my own plan that will then be submitted to carriers. Yours seems dictated by the carrier. Was it? Being a first time for us to do this I am having trouble getting my head around what to do and would much prefer being given direction instead of guessing.
If you don't mind my asking, who is your insurance company. We have Pantaneous…..our boat is on the hard in BVI...as it has been for the past two years. We lost our mast last year, but nothing in our policy changed to require removal of the mast.
sandymwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 19:30   #32

Boat: 2019 Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandymwp View Post
If you don't mind my asking, who is your insurance company. We have Pantaneous…..our boat is on the hard in BVI...as it has been for the past two years. We lost our mast last year, but nothing in our policy changed to require removal of the mast.
We don't have an insurer yet. I am just going by what the broker is telling me and looking for ideas before the boat gets here. Thanks!
Sawbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 22:43   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandymwp View Post

Hi,

Is tie down and one piece cradle a required with Pantaenius?
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:47   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Last year our carrier required a “plan”. I asked them to give me a sample or something. They sent me a check list of sorts. Clearly it was more oriented to smaller and/or lower boats. None-the-less it was pretty comprehensive. I turned it into a textWord file, went through it and answered each item explaining what we had done. Or in some cases stating “Not applicable.”
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:49   #35

Boat: Tayana 52

Not sure I understand this but leaving the Bahamas in May is a little late and it sounds you don’t want to spend any time in the Exhumas, Turks and Caicos, DR, PR, USVI etc. is this right?
What is you’re intended route to get to the windward and leewards?
Sailing into wind most of the time unless your following the thornless path (and even then...) in a cat.
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:05   #36

North Sound Marina Antigua.
Built originally by a very rich "ponzi" guy who started World Series Cricket and is now doing 100+ years in a Texas prison. The haul out handled my Switch 55 cat easily. It has every Cat 5 build category known to man. The English guy Tom who runs it is right on the money. Your boat is tied down to 1m + of concrete decking that covers the whole yard, which is security monitored and kept absolutely free of debris as their experience in that part of the World is that flying debris and air -bourn boats do the damage. Mini maxis summer here!
Insurance companies have NO PROBLEMS when you explain all that to them.
John Woodruff
Fantazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:33   #37

Boat: 2019 Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrycooper56 View Post
Not sure I understand this but leaving the Bahamas in May is a little late and it sounds you don’t want to spend any time in the Exhumas, Turks and Caicos, DR, PR, USVI etc. is this right?
What is you’re intended route to get to the windward and leewards?
Sailing into wind most of the time unless your following the thornless path (and even then...) in a cat.
Really trying to find a plan that will work with insurance post-Irma. We are very open to anything that works.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:58   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We are hauled for the season at Power Boat in Chaguaramas, Trinidad. They are nice folks, safe yard, good tradesmen available. The yard has tie downs but you will not need them. Masts are not taken down. 150 years of named storm tracks says highly unlikely. This is our second season in the yard. Street food outside the yard is good and very inexpensive. OCC port captain, Jessie James is in the yard and runs a really great tour business. I bike to the rain forest every morning to see the birds and monkeys. Peaks is the yard next door also with good facilities. Several chandleries and supply shops nearby. We have great community with other boaters in the yards. Both places can handle your cat. If you want to stay in the water, Trinidad and Tobago are both out of the zone for cruising.

No doubt Trinidad is much safer than the rest of the Caribbean. The most recent hurricane was 1933. I’m sure it was not the last one..

On Grenada they had the same attitude relaxed attitude as they thought the one that hit in 1955 was the last. Well it took 49 years and they had Ivan a cat. 5. Massive damages Ivan hit in 2004.

I do not blame insurance companies to require tie downs also in Trinidad.
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, haul out, hurricane, rib