Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2023, 11:29   #1

Caribbean- inter island flying

I have left the sofa and I’m joining a yacht , possibly in St Lucia , leaving again in Grenada / Trinidad and hoping to fly to Barbados. Looking for experiences of inter island air travel. It appears to be very expensive and fully booked well in advance, not ideal for sailing folk.
Any advice appreciated thank you.
Sofasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 11:52   #2

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Caribbean- inter island flying

Depending on passport, nationality, visa reqs, SOME, NOT ALL, Caribbean countries insist on having a return ticket. Not the flying from country but the arriving in country. Sometimes pays to buy more expensive refundable tickets.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 12:03   #3

Boat: Grampian 30

Book early, take what you can get and don't be picky, deals are few and far between, it costs what it costs.

Be prepared for long lineups in hot crowded environments. Be prepared to sit in a full plane on the tarmac with no a/c for a long time as temperatures rise. Bring as much water as you are able to legally get past security.

Don't count on your luggage arriving when you do, or before you need to put to sea. Weather waits for no-one and depending on the schedule your skipper is trying to meet your choice may be to stay or go with or without everything you wish you had. Bring the bare minimum you will need in your carry on and be prepared to buy everything else you need if it comes to it. Hat, shades, sunscreen, long sleeves and foulies essential. The rest is luxury.

Impatience will get you nowhere, and possibly set you back.

Speaking from experience. These are the realities of sailing in paradise, or anywhere really.
Nekton73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 13:22   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57

If you are joining a yacht, an informal letter from the captain is usually enough to make a 1-way entry ticket easy - if they even ask.

Flying in the islands makes flying in the US seem like a beautiful 1st class dream. Ticket are indeed expensive. My least favorite airline is LIAT ("Luggage in another Terminal", "Leave Island any Time"... you get the drift) but some of the other local operators come a close second.
Old 12-02-2023, 14:30   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the Caribbean sailing.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2023, 03:09   #6

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
If you are joining a yacht, an informal letter from the captain is usually enough to make a 1-way entry ticket easy - if they even ask.

This is a toughie. It has worked for friends arriving, but did not work for crew leaving me and going to another vessel on another island despite letters of discharge from me and acceptance by the other captain. It is difficult to check in advance, because once you ask!
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2023, 05:01   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 57

@Tupaia - the letter is for airport immigration. I had crew join me in the USA on a 1-way ticket, the letter made that possible (although the airlines care more about the 1-way than does Immigration). All the islands I know of require that both captains plus the crewmember show up in person in order to transfer crew from one to the other vessel. Except the French, who are somewhat lax.
I've had to find a printer to print out electronic tickets for crew members leaving my boat and departing by plane, they then get taken off my boat papers.
Old 13-02-2023, 06:14   #8

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Your thread title brought to mind Divi-Divi or: how you get to Bonaire.

A twin prop plane. You can see the old Divi-Divi plane underwater. Or you could when I flew it. I think they removed it.

Good times. Ha ha ha.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib