Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2022, 12:01   #76

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: Cat capsizes off Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
That’s just silly. With a performance cat there are trade offs but none are deal breakers once you move up in size. Our cat has just under 4000kg between lightship and full load - that’s heaps, though for example won’t accommodate a centre console dinghy, an ice maker, or a 1000 litres of fuel.

There was a Delos YT video a while ago with a Catana 43 owner who didn’t allow paper books and they weighed provisions and gear coming on board and removed things if it took them over a certain weight. That wouldn’t be fun for long term cruising.

So smaller performance cats may not be your style, but plenty of people can and do live happily with 1500 or 2000 kg of loading. But if you do want a full size fridge then a performance cat below 60+ feet is not for you.

To carry your SUV analogy further, what about a Porsche Cayenne?
That's a SUV, like a Catana, not a performance cat, a condo with daggerboards.
Old 06-08-2022, 13:06   #77

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Yup. (Direct response to nope)

If it wasn’t pushed hard, it wouldn’t be upside down. Obviously there was too much sail area for the wind conditions. No matter what they were. Therefore it was pushed too hard. Pretty cut and dry. I don’t have any idea how you can argue that it wasn't pushed too hard. It was pushed right over.
Let me try to decode!

1) "To push hard" means actively driving the boat close to its limit, ie making an active decision to go there.

2) "To be pushed too hard" is what happens to the boat even when no human actively wanted to go there, but due to foreseeable or unforeseeable consequences ended up there anyway.

So, I think you don't have to push hard to be pushed too far.

ANYWAY. How absolutely wonderful that they are all ok. Scary stuff.
Old 07-08-2022, 18:44   #78

Croatia is a dangerous sailing ground.
This was on our first year when we sailed from France to Slovenia, a single gust, lastet only a few minutes and then heavy rain and 20-25kn of wind, later I saw on my instrumets a max of 92.4kn. Didn't felt like 92kn, but it was quite intense.

We had the sails down already and motored anticipating bad weather. Sea was flat almost, and you see a line of boiling water approaching. It was quite a bang. I can imagine when you have full sails up and get hit from the beam, something will give up - most likely the rigg or the sheets/sails, but on a light cat a capsize is for sure possible.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180825_141117.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	262452
Old 07-08-2022, 19:26   #79
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Croatia is a dangerous sailing ground.
This was on our first year when we sailed from France to Slovenia, a single gust, lastet only a few minutes and then heavy rain and 20-25kn of wind, later I saw on my instrumets a max of 92.4kn. Didn't felt like 92kn, but it was quite intense.

We had the sails down already and motored anticipating bad weather. Sea was flat almost, and you see a line of boiling water approaching. It was quite a bang. I can imagine when you have full sails up and get hit from the beam, something will give up - most likely the rigg or the sheets/sails, but on a light cat a capsize is for sure possible.Attachment 262452

I can’t imagine any boat would survive with a dry mast in 92kts. of wind on the beam under full sail.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 22:04   #80
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I can’t imagine any boat would survive with a dry mast in 92kts. of wind on the beam under full sail.
Every monohull that is in seaworthy condition. Once they heel 90 degrees, all wind pressure is removed from the sails and they still have much positive buoyancy.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 23:31   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Every monohull that is in seaworthy condition. Once they heel 90 degrees, all wind pressure is removed from the sails and they still have much positive buoyancy.
Agreed. It wouldn't be fun and there would be damage but most cruising monohulls would come through OK.

I've seen dayboats and racing monos with no side decks get in trouble but not cruising monos.
SV Tom Crean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 03:30   #82
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

Tell that story to the family of those that died on the Pride of Baltimore.
Old 08-08-2022, 03:53   #83

The Pride of Baltimore wasn’t really seaworthy from today’s standards. More like the standards of early 1800’s. That is why when they built the new one, they changed the design to incorporate those features and add reserve buoyancy.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:09   #84

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

For anyone unfamiliar with the Pride of Baltimore a photo is shown below:

I think the accident investigation concluded the limit of positive stability was only 76° . Of course this is nothing like a cruising monohull where the AVS will always be well over 90°.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BE790F94-F159-44E9-B6A8-B7DCF3D2338B.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	262459  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:27   #85
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandor View Post
The Pride of Baltimore wasn’t really seaworthy from today’s standards. More like the standards of early 1800’s. That is why when they built the new one, they changed the design to incorporate those features and add reserve buoyancy.

She was deemed seaworthy but tender.
Old 08-08-2022, 05:29   #86
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
For anyone unfamiliar with the Pride of Baltimore a photo is shown below:

I think the accident investigation concluded the limit of positive stability was only 76° . Of course this is nothing like a cruising monohull where the AVS will always be well over 90°.

At well over 90 degrees the mast would be wet? I’ve seen monohulls at least dip there spreaders if not the mast with no sails up in 90 knots. Would all seaworthy monohulls recover from a knockdown before their sails filled with water?
Old 08-08-2022, 05:32   #87

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
At well over 90 degrees the mast would be wet? I’ve seen monohulls at least dip there spreaders if not the mast with no sails up in 90 knots. Would all seaworthy monohulls recover from a knockdown before their sails filled with water?

Even if you dip the sails and fill them with water, you should still be able to get the boat back up. Just no guarantee you'll still have intact sails when you do.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:45   #88
smj

Cat capsizes off Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Even if you dip the sails and fill them with water, you should still be able to get the boat back up. Just no guarantee you'll still have intact sails when you do.

Hopefully, but the mast would be wet, right? [emoji4]
Old 08-08-2022, 07:43   #89

Quote:
Hopefully, but the mast would be wet, right? [emoji4]
And the panties too....[emoji12]

But no, I don't think they would have diped in our case, because it was not sustained 92kn, just a blow for a few seconds and then in the 20-30kn, the momentum before a heavy boat heels is quite a lot. But it can break stuff easily, and if you were heeling already and have some waves, sure.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:49   #90
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Tell that story to the family of those that died on the Pride of Baltimore.
What have I done to you to get this aggression? Just because I’m right and you don’t like it?

Wtf, why would I talk to that family? How you even manage to come up with this? You Googled until you found something to counter me?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capsize, Croatia, size