Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2014, 16:08   #31

Re: Catamaran or monohull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
With respect, you have clearly not been sailing the correct multis. Try a good design and come back to us.
Suggest some others than those that I have miles on: Gunboat, Mumby, Lagoon, Leopard, Gemini, Outremer, some custom designs, some homebuilts. I have won races in catamarans as Skipper too - but the races were not anything I would call fun except for the beer afterwards.

Some of the trimarans have been rather nice, But tri's are pretty rare.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 16:15   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinduque View Post
Suggest some others than those that I have miles on: Gunboat, Mumby, Lagoon, Leopard, Gemini, Outremer, some custom designs, some homebuilts. I have won races in catamarans as Skipper too - but the races were not anything I would call fun except for the beer afterwards.

Some of the trimarans have been rather nice, But tri's are pretty rare.
Gunboats, Outremers, and even Mumby's are pretty good things, you are clearly a hard man to please sir. Which multi races have you done, any down my way?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 16:26   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Gunboats, Outremers, and even Mumby's are pretty good things, you are clearly a hard man to please sir. Which multi races have you done, any down my way?
I didn't indent to disparage the quality or construction. Indeed, most were superbly constructed. Especially some of the one-offs. The races were in California and Mexico. Some serious, some cruiser. The King Harbor Race, an Ensenada race, some semi-serious racing in Banderas Bay, Mexico.

To benefit the thread and OP, rather than softly bickering, I suggest that the OP get more time on the water in a wide variety of boats. Much much more. Or perhaps just buy a few and try them out. Depending on the finances. His choice will be as readily apparent as mine is.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 17:19   #34

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin
Re: Catamaran or Monohull?

Factor,

Perhaps we should stop snapping at the "bait" that just another single-minded poster is dangling for us; he is just looking for another platform to deride multihulls rather than contribute.

Probably it is better that helpful suggestions be made to the OP and others interested in meaningful comments and posts than sarcastic ones.

Hope you are having a good sailing season. I'm tucked in for the winter.

Marshall
Old 31-12-2014, 08:43   #35

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Catamaran or Monohull?

Interesting thread except for the bickering. I think the OP raised a good question prompting a majority of responses that we can learn something from.

Fact: Marlowe-Hunter built the Gemini Legacy 35 up until the last business quarter when I believe Laura took Gemini production to another big monohull builder. http://geminicatamarans.com/portal/GEMINI/News.aspx

I was in the market for the Legacy until I test sailed it vs a monohull at Annapolis this year. Away from the boat show trappings at the dock I was surprised how unimpressed I was. Interior was too cramped, like trying on a pair of shoes one size too small. The legacy sailed with a jerky, nervous motion, and sailing from behind the bulkhead was a definite turnoff.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 11:46   #36

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin

RKsailsolo,

I stand chastised; there are some good posts and I took the bait to let it get sidetracked.

Thank you for your input on the Gemini Legacy 35; I have not read much about the boat.
Old 31-12-2014, 18:47   #37

Catamaran or Monohull?

[IMG]QUOTE=Polux;1712086]Yes, that is a cruising boat. I have a friend, a 60 year old surgeon that has one and that boat is badly sailed (only main, no frontal sail), well, what do you expect from charters?

As I said your comment gives strength to what I said : You guys are not used to fast light modern performance cruisers. (Monohulls)
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....php?p=1712070

That boat is going fast, badly sailed and not even with a frontal sail and with full main, that show the kind of abuse it can sustain. These boats have the hulls of solo racing boats and are designed to be sailed with minimum work. They have a huge stability. At night, even on racing boats at full blast, they just turn the autopilot and sleep.

This is a cruising boat with a great interior and a Swing keel that gives it the same potential as a multihull in what regards anchorages.

This is a thread deviation but it was not me that started it. Let's stick with trimarans and Catamarans[/QUOTE][/IMG]

From a different thread, but pertinent to this discussion.
Old 31-12-2014, 19:17   #38

Catamaran or Monohull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearenitySail View Post
RKsailsolo,

I stand chastised; there are some good posts and I took the bait to let it get sidetracked.

Thank you for your input on the Gemini Legacy 35; I have not read much about the boat.

Apologies as chastised was not my intent. To me, I learn from you and all posters who are gracious with sharing their views vs just lurking. I consider your experience valuable even if I disagree with it.

The Legacy--a nice boat in an in between niche--proved to be not my cup of tea and I would sooner buy the older MC 105... Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1420082172.018236.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	94638 or even the Tomkat...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1420082197.330850.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	94639.As either of these bring more relative value at much less cost to satisfy my needs.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:07   #39

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTiger View Post
Hi. I'm in the same dilemma. I'm not sure which to go with. I've narrowed my options down to Gemini 105 and a Hunter 386. My max price is $70,000. I've never experienced living on a boat, so I have a couple of questions for those who have or spent multiple days and nights on a boat.

Between a Cat and a Mono, which is easier to sleep in?
I've researched the Gemini 105 thoroughly and have heard about the infamous 'Wave Slap'. I've never experienced sailing a Cat. I've experienced a monohull, but never slept on one. Will it be very hard adjusting to the constant rocking of a monohull? Keep in mind, I'm a really light sleeper.

Also, those who live miles off of any land in sight, how do you deal with internet? I run my business from the internet and am willing to pay a couple hundreds bucks a month. I'll be a coastal cruiser island hopping the caribbean, but too far out to pick up local internet service. Note: I have looked into this topic and am a bit confused. I heard of internet pricing and equipment costing an arm and a leg ($10,000?) and other prices like $150 for unlimited satellite using $1,500 equipment?

I plan on buying a boat in the later spring or early to mid-summer, once I sell off the house in a couple of months. Before buying a boat I'll be living in an apartment in the USVI.

Thanks in advance to those who take my questions seriously.

Black Tiger - If you've never slept on a boat - you have to go try it. Some people sleep deeply and some lightly (typically as your experience grows, you sleep deeply but wake instantly at an unknown noise or change inthe behavior of the boat).

The fact that you are alight sleeper probably won't have any major influence.

Re: internet - lots of threads about this, but bascially here is the short of it. In most marinas you'll have adequate internet through wifi. at anchor you'll be dependent on the the mobile phone service. Further out, you have fewer choices. Both short-wave radio and sat phones will give you e-mail capability (slow in the case of the radio - expensive in the case of the sat phone)

A HF radio will cost you something like $3500 with everything. good news is the slow e-mail connnection is free. A sat phone will cost anywhere from $600-1200 and requires no installation. Phone charges are expensive though.

However, more and more gadgets are coming onthe market every day- so by this time next year, everything may have changed.

A bit of unasked for advice- you apparently haven't sailed much, so I would suggest you charter a couple of boats (and take sailing courses). Firstly - sailing a boat is more difficult than most imagine (until they learn how) and living on a boat is not for everyone.

Also $70k for a liveaboard boat that is ready for island hopping inthe carribean is probabl not enough. Lots here will tell you differently, but unless you get lucky, you'll end up spending another 15-20k to get a boat ready (extra batteries, solar, wind, watermaker, anchors etc etc etc).

Good luck

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:03   #40

Catamaran or Monohull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

Black Tiger - If you've never slept on a boat - you have to go try it. Some people sleep deeply and some lightly (typically as your experience grows, you sleep deeply but wake instantly at an unknown noise or change inthe behavior of the boat).

Semi hijacked as it's still pertinent to thread topic I think...

Also to Black Tiger, I highly recommend getting ASA certificate for two or three levels and while doing it, sleep on board. I did this in San Diego and it was a fine experience. The instructor picked us up at the airport, delivered us to his 36' Beneteau and the next morning we stated the three day course with class instruction followed by sailing a 22' Catalina to get the basics, then on to sailing the Beneteau for MOB and offshore.

Extreme value returned for the money and time invested.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:36   #41

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidIndie View Post
So I'm looking into buying my first sailboat and in a couple years or so I would love to make an Atlantic crossing and travel a bit.
Travel a bit, where? How many onboard? Couples, children or just lads having an adventure? What's your budget? What you do most, marinas, anchorages or passsgess? Party's with exotic cheese and campaign or exploring distant coves?
There's no single best, good for everything boat anywhere, so set your requirements first
BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:18   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
I will get a cruising catamaran someday. The day I give up on life.
Nice contribution.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 13:30   #43

Boat: Lagoon 380 Owners Version

I've spent a couple years living on a monohull and a few months living on a catamaran. A cat is WAY more comfortable for living aboard.
chad.lawie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 14:18   #44

TeddyDiver

There's going to be three of us, a 18 year old, a 19 and a 20 year old. We plan on doing several trips up and down the east coast of the U.S and then to the Caribbean and Bahamas and then a circumnavigation. We don't exactly have the budget for a catamaran and I'm more biased towards a monohull anyway. Were looking for a good blue water boat. Thanks for all the responses!

The crash of waves and salty air are the signs of freedom
MermaidIndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 14:26   #45
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Catamaran or Monohull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidIndie View Post
TeddyDiver

There's going to be three of us, a 18 year old, a 19 and a 20 year old. We plan on doing several trips up and down the east coast of the U.S and then to the Caribbean and Bahamas and then a circumnavigation. We don't exactly have the budget for a catamaran and I'm more biased towards a monohull anyway. Were looking for a good blue water boat. Thanks for all the responses!

The crash of waves and salty air are the signs of freedom
What's your projected budget.. roughly..?
What's the sleeping requirements... 1 cabin each.. 2 in one and solo in the smaller... or the basic V-berth and quarter berths..?

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, hull, monohull