Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2015, 10:48   #1

Boat: 2005 Precision 23
Centerboard pros and cons?

I've been sailing my Catalina 22 around the bays in NW FL for a few years now and am planning to up-size soon. Being used to a swing keel on my boat, my eye was caught by an 86 Island Packet for sale that has a centerboard. The swing keel I've used for years is really handy for getting into shoal water and most hardware is easily accesible (even if I need to put the boat back on the trailer for repairs), which is important for dealing with the pivot pin. Wondering if anyone has experience with a centerboard on larger boats; maint issues, usability, etc?
thanks in advance
Mike
mhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:43   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Centerboard pros and cons?

Have owned two Keel/centerboard boats. The first one had an issue with the board pendant getting eaten up by electrolysis. Had to haul and replace it at least once a year. Current boat has no issues like that but installed a synthetic line pendant which has removed any possible problem with electrolysis. Other than that, no other problems with boards. Haul outs have some issues as you have to let the boat hang in the straps overnight to paint the center board. Not a big thing unless you run into a yard that screws you charging an exorbitant few to do it. Board may occasionally make noise when deployed though have hardly noticed it under sail on either boat. Will definitely make noise if lowered at anchor but then why would you want the board down at anchor.

To me, the big advantage of a keel/center board boat is you don't have to drag around all that wetted surface of a deep keel when it's not needed. The big advantage of a deep keel is going hard on the wind. Once you crack off it's mainly just a bunch of lead slowing you down. Sail mostly with the board up except short tacking in confined areas where every last bit of ground made good is valuable. The rest of the time, the boat does just fine going to weather with the board up. Yes it does make more leeway than it's deep keeled brethren but not enough to bother me. Of course, you have to take into account I'm a cruiser enjoying sailing. Bashing into waves with the boat on its ear and wind and spray in the face is not my idea of fun.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:51   #3
cruiser

Pro: You can get into shallower places.

Con: Some day it will get stuck and be a real PITA to unstick.

My O'Day 20 had a centerboard which got stuck in the up position one winter, which necessitated me going underwater with a jumbo crowbar to unstick it.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 14:05   #4

I sailed , lived aboard and did day charters on one for thirteen years and never had any problems with it . In skinny water I would let it hang down 9 or 10 inches , it would announce when it was time to slow down . In the sixties and early seventies many ocean races were won by centerboard boats , not to be confused with lift keels .
Perstarebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 14:16   #5

Boat: 1980 Tartan 33

Sailed a Sabre 38 centerboard for 18 years put of Annapolis along the East Coast/Bahamas. A great design and one of my dumber decisions was agreeing to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jack Lahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 16:45   #6

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Mike,
I have been sailing an IP32 keel centerboard around here and over to the Bahamas for 10 years. I purchased the CB version to allow access to the dock behind my house. I have been pleasantly surprised at the lack of issues with the IP CB arrangement. Had a friend years back with a CB boat and he was always working on that CB or lifting gear.

I have stuck with the wire pendant but religious about zinc and bonding system. Painted the trunk and replaced the wire for the first time two years back.

When I was looking there were more 31 CBs for sale than 32s but the 32 represents a significant improvement in the IP evolution so went all the way to NJ to get the 32.

A happy camper and the 3 1/2' draft is a real plus around NW Florida.

Frank
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 19:11   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I love my centerboard and kick up rudder.
18" draft with boards up.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 19:37   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

The answer depends on How Big? We are 58 feet with Swing CB. Draft is 6'-8" up and 13 feet down. There is a 24VDC motor driving a 3-stage 300:1 reduction to a winch spool for the pennant. If anything fails, it may be stuck down. It can be operated my had but will require over an hour to hand crank the system. I would prefer, and I am considering adding a hand winch & tackle with fiber pennant. We are a modified full keel so the need to put the board down is rare.

If the board is small enough to be managed by hand (winch), then I say go for it. Make sure you are comfortable also with the way the pennant is sealed so that water does not slosh up past it. (happened to us).
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centerboard