Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2023, 00:24   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Changing Code Zero Halyard 2:1 to 1:1

My Selden mast is currently rigged with a 2:1 halyard that I use for my code zero or asymmetric in a sock. However, the halyard is constantly getting twisted even when trying to be diligent trying not to induce twists so that I have to go up the mast to untangle it often. I suppose I’d get less tension on the code for furling but is there any other reason to keep it 2:1 versus 1:1? Any load issued to be worried about? I shot Selden a note but haven’t heard back yet.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 03:17   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Changing Code Zero Halyard 2:1 to 1:1

If the line is strong enough, and you can pull it hard enough, then 1:1 is fine.
2:1 allows for thinner line and easier tension. It's a convenience thing.
Old 10-04-2023, 16:18   #3

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

There are a few more issues. If you change from a 2:1 to a 1:1 you are doubling the halyard load. You may need to go up in size or switch to a stronger line. If you go up in size will the new halyard be compatible with your sheaves, blocks and clutch? If you use a stronger line it will probably be more slippery (and have twice the load). Will it slip in your clutch? I have had issues with replacing regular polyester double braid with a high-tech line and then having the line slip in the clutch when under load.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 17:33   #4

Boat: Privilege 435

If it helps, we use a 1:1 on our 44ft cat for head sails. 1/2” standard line (New England ropes sta-set). Never had any problems.

Only reason we were thinking of switching to a high tech line is to reduce the stretch for better pointing.

I keep a 2:1 on the main so we can raise it by hand, but no problems raising the gennaker by hand with 1:1.

Dougweibel has a great point to ensure that the rest of the system can support the modification, but I would make the change myself. Easy enough to get those sails tangled up without having to worry about a 2 part halyard binding…
Old 11-04-2023, 07:43   #5

Confirmed with Selden that it’s fine from a load perspective. I’ll take a look to see what kind of lines I can fit through my clutches and consider going that perspective and keeping this around if I wanna switch to a 2:1. Dealer said the current halyard should be fine though for the code.
Old 11-04-2023, 14:49   #6
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

You could go to a 1:1 and use a block and tackle on the foot if extra tension is needed.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 20:12   #7

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Just a thought: why is the 2:1 halyard twisting? How are you coiling it?
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 00:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
Just a thought: why is the 2:1 halyard twisting? How are you coiling it?
Tried the figure 8, butterfly, and just draping without using the winch for any of these. Not sure if it is a mast thing or not but several others with my boat have had the same issues. Good thing was that it got us comfortable going up the mast but it’s definitely annoying when we can’t get the spinnaker sock down and then have to go up after dark. The line could still just need to be broken in more but I have trailed it behind the boat a couple times now to work out the twists and they always seem to come back and come back right away. There is a swivel on the had and tack of the sail as well when using the code which I would hope would help reduce the issues. For now, though, I just put a UV strip on my code to keep it up full time and use it more but it would be great to do sail changes without the worry some day.

Tags
code zero, halyard