Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2018, 04:51   #1

Charger issues please confirm my thoughts

I’m on a pretty long cruise away from my home port. I plugged into the marina power and noticed that in both my shore power breaker which feeds through my smart charger and the A/C breaker were both showing 127 dc current instead of the usual 120ish....after a while my shore power breaker flipped off and does the same when reset......so I switched on my generator to do some charging and it now flips off that different breaker.....under both power options when I rest the breakers and look at the charger it shows a green light then shuts off and the breakers flip......the separate shore power continues to run my A/C as does the generator

Am I right to conclude that the problem most likely is a bad smart charger? Since both run through that but the A/C does not.

Also I have 12volt 60 amp charger and I found a company nearby that has the same brand but only the 12volt 80 amp model.....it looks like it fill fit the exact same. Is there a problem having a higher amp charger or am I right to think it’s just an upgrade?

I could really use some of the knowledge I know is on the forum.

Thanks
blue otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 05:06   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 523 (2005)
Re: Charger issues please confirm my thoughts

127 AC shouldn’t have caused much trouble for a shore charger, but it could be “dirty” power or at a bad frequency (though most chargers don’t care about frequency).

Could be charger, could be breaker. You sure nothing else on that circuit? If not sure, remove the black wire (power off first) from the charger (and cover with electrical tape to avoid accidental shorting) and make sure breaker now stays working.

If it pops, remove outbound power from the breaker and if it still pops, bad breaker for sure. But if it doesn’t, all that proves it is either short charger or breaker. If by chance it doesn’t pop, you need to find whatever the other load is in that wire!

If you have another breaker, even one in service at a similar amperage, try switching the charger to that circuit (disconnecting the prior load). If it works, it’s your breaker. If not, it’s your charger.

Good luck! Be VERY careful when working with AC. Always turn off the primary AC breakers (and even better, disconnect shore power and turn off generator) before doing any work. It’s a pain to turn on/off but it can save your life...!
Unity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 15:18   #3

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc
Re: Charger issues please confirm my thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue otter View Post
I plugged into the marina power and noticed that in both my shore power and the A/C breaker were both showing 127 dc current instead of the usual 120ish....

I could really use some of the knowledge I know is on the forum.

Thanks
How does an AC breaker show 127v DC?
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, lease